Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

La Femme Nikita (MGM) wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

La Femme Nikita (MGM) wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it would be a rehash of the Trimark release, and am so surprised that it's animorphic.Something was mentioned though in the MGM chat that the subtitles are faulted. Can anyone tell me what's up with this disc. I would appreciate it.
Old 03-14-01, 11:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

They are dubtitles. The dubbed soundtrack, transcribed, rather than an accurate translation.
Old 03-14-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the Trimark version, keep it (that's what I did).

The video on the MGM is anamorphic, but I am at a loss to find any improvements. Quite a feat, given how mediocre the video on the Trimark DVD was... but MGM has managed to replicate it almost exactly. They are basically the same transfer.

The MGM disc includes a decent 5.1 remix. But -- get this -- only on the dubbed English audio. Not on the original French!

And, yes, the subtitles are a transcribed version of the English dubbing. I was astounded in that chat that the MGM rep "didn't see a problem" with that. Yet another problem with MGM subtitles... amazing!

The original translation from French (on the Trimark) is the only way to watch this great film. The MGM subtitles are distracting and terrible.
Old 03-15-01, 01:25 AM

MGM just doesn't seem to get it.
Old 03-16-01, 12:27 AM

Just watched it this past weekend and it's an improvement over the Trimark release. It's definitely less noise in the video and the 5.1 mix is better than what was on the Trimark release even though it's only the English dub. I think if you looking for a better version the MGM release is definitely better. Just don't expect it to look like a new release.

David
Old 03-16-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by davcole
Just watched it this past weekend and it's an improvement over the Trimark release. It's definitely less noise in the video and the 5.1 mix is better than what was on the Trimark release even though it's only the English dub. I think if you looking for a better version the MGM release is definitely better. Just don't expect it to look like a new release.
Hmmm... I have to disagree with you about the improved video. I did an A/B comparison with these two titles for a good 30 minutes -- looking at tons of different scenes. They appeared to have identical video quality and the flaws in the Trimark transfer were carried over to the MGM. I really consider the video to be a "tie" and I certainly didn't see anything to make me believe that the MGM is "definitely better" or even marginally better.

But, if you are going to watch the English dub (which you apparently did), than I agree with you. The MGM would probably be the best choice, since it has the 5.1 remix... HOWEVER, I would think that a large majority of people would be watching the French version. In that case, the audio is virtually identical between the two versions and the Trimark blows MGM out of the water because of the subtitle snafu.

Anyone who is a big fan of this movie (and has seen it several times) will not be able to avoid being distracted by the terrible subtitles, which change the entire flow of the film. This isn't a minor thing and I can't believe that MGM was so dismissive of it as an issue.
Old 03-16-01, 05:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I can believe MGM's dismissive attitude. Look at their track record.

I guess I have an expensive coaster and must stick with my remastered Pioneer laserdisc.
Old 03-17-01, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts
Well I'm french speaking so didn't need the subtitles but it pissed me off that only the English track was 5.1