Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"fixed" A BETTER TOMORROW is full of glitches

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"fixed" A BETTER TOMORROW is full of glitches

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-01, 05:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I swear English speaking HK fans are cursed. What else can explain the inability for us to have a decent version of any HK film classic!? I have the "fixed" version from Anchor Bay and it is full of glitches, in just the first 30 minutes.

First of all, the Cantonese soundtrack drops out for a split second in numerous places. These dropouts are not on the laserdisc edition (where this soundtrack is ported from).

The worst is at the very start of the film, from 00:36 to 00:46. That is a full 10 seconds of no audio (The Mandarin and English soundtracks are fine). Even more strange is the counter, which does not move from second to second during that time in a normal fashion. Almost as if the picture is going too fast, then fine, then too fast, then fine. It is a very strange thing.

The picture & music also jumps in a few spots, most notably at 07:55, where the picture & sound skip for a full second.

I repeated all of the above on my Toshiba SD-1600 multi-region, my Toshiba 5109 Progressive scan and my trusty Toshiba 3107. Not to mention the piece of **** APEX AD-600A. That's 4 players! So either I got a jinxed copy or their master is screwed up.

I'll watch the rest of the film tonight. In the mean time, I would ask that you all check your copies as they arrive. If they have the same problems, then it's right back to Anchor Bay.

If all copies have these glitches, then BOTH runs are bad and Anchor Bay needs to do something about it. I and many others offered to look at test discs to ensure this pressing was perfect, but they did not reply to any of us.

It should also be mentioned that Anchor Bay has very quietly instructed retailers to put the original pressing back on the shelves, knowing full well it contains the wrong track.

Frustrated.
Old 03-13-01, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Haven't watched my corrected copy, but will tonight. If the Mandarin track is okay I can deal with it.
Old 03-13-01, 06:11 PM

Please post back about the sound glitch at the beginning.

Me, I want it right, dammit. I bent over backwards to help Anchor Bay fix this release (long story) and if it is actually screwed up, then I will go friggen postal.

Well, I actually won't, but it sure would be great to do so.
Old 03-13-01, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anchor Bay are losing it - big time.

Please keep us posted on the faults.

Have they really told stores to put the first pressing back out?
Old 03-13-01, 07:56 PM

Yes, Jonathan, they have. I talked with managers at Buy.com, Suncoast and another retailer off the record and they were told to pull the release and hold onto it for a possible recall. Then last month they were told to go ahead and put it back on the shelves.

Why? Easy. They didn't want to loose money because they were stupid and did not have iron clad contracts with Media Asia, despite countless warnings from dozens of people who talked with high ups in the company, informing them of Media "Evil's" practices.

Sickening.
Old 03-13-01, 10:11 PM

Couldn't they be sued by the "Forest Gump" and "Speed" studios? That would be a way to lose real money real fast.
Old 03-13-01, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was about to pack mine up and send it off tomorrow. Sounds like it might be a good thing that I was lazy about it um... what a decision... screwed up sound track #1 or screwed up soundtrack #2
Old 03-14-01, 07:33 AM

If you had to pick, soundtrack #2 is better than soundtrack #1, which is a total mess. A disaster.
Old 03-14-01, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the corrected-soundtrack Media Asia version, which I think I'll just hold on to. I might pick up the Anchor Bay version of ABTII, though.

It's safe to buy this one, right?
Old 03-14-01, 11:56 AM

The "corrected" Media Asia release is still not the original soundtrack. It has the proper music, but all the sound effects are replaced and sound absolutely terrible in comparison to the original mono soundtrack.

I HATE Media Asia! I HATE THEM! HATE THEM! HATE THEM!!!

Anchor Bay's AB2 is just fine.

By the way, you can report your problems with this title to Barbara Gerczak at 1-800-786-8777, etx. 4136. I encourage everyone to leave her a freindly voice-mail with your name, number and the problem with the ABT DVD. Be courtious and explain you want a copy that does not have these glitches.

Otherwise they may just ignore the problem.

[Edited by Matt Stevens on 03-14-01 at 11:36 AM]
Old 03-15-01, 07:50 AM

By the way, five others (that I know of) have the same problem of the sound dropping out for ten seconds near the start of the film.

Looks like they all have it, folks. I called Anchor Bay hours ago and spoke with Barbara Gerczak, who was nice, but not aware of half of the what was going on with this title. She transferred to me to someone higher up, but all I got was his voice mail.

Surprise, surprise.

[Edited by Matt Stevens on 03-15-01 at 07:53 AM]
Old 03-15-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Y'know, I've been holding out on buying the Aces Go Places / Mad Mission series from DDD House... since AB is intending to release them domestically later this year.

After the miserable experience they've had with the A Better Tomorrows, do you think they will walk away from dabbling in HK cinema? Could these releases never see the light of day?

It's all such a damn shame.
Old 03-15-01, 03:24 PM

They have the rights to the cut & dubbed versions of those films. They are quite different, with different scenes than the international versions.

Go ahead and get the HK releases. You'll sleep easier.
Old 03-15-01, 08:46 PM

I have received a LOT of e-mail from people asking if they should keep the first release or trade for this glitched one.

Trade up. Despite the problems with this new one, the other version is not worth viewing at all and should be pissed on, then smashed with a hammer. It's crap.

This new version has the sound dropout, some frame skips and music/sound jumps. It also has two bright pinhole like spots in the middle of the picture for a portion of the film (that was not on the first release if memory serves), but this is STILL much preferred over the other release.

But I also still urge you to write/fax/call Anchor Bay and ask them if they are going to fix this sound dropout, or give refunds for those that want one.

1-800-786-8777 Phone
(248) 816-3335 Fax
Old 04-21-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
soooo, now what's the status -- is the AB version the one to get or is there another HK version with subs that's in better condition? I just saw a mention of this and it looks good.

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 04-22-01, 02:48 AM

Get the AB disc. It is much better than the HK alternatives. The skipping that people are talking about isn't a problem on my disc and the "ten second drop out" is more like 3 seconds, so maybe there are just a batch of defective discs out there. I've had similar skipping problems with other discs (mostly Criterion discs) and an exchange always solves the problem.