Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Document of the Dead

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Document of the Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-01, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found out that this movie is on DVD. I've been reading about this documentary on the making of Dawn of the Dead and the career of George Romero for years now, but I've always heard that it was unavailable in any format due to legal problems.

Now, I find out that the damn flick was released to DVD like a year and a half ago and is going OOP.

So, my question is: has anybody seen this film and is it worth buying (if I can still locate a copy)?
Old 03-08-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a long time since I saw this (as you mentioned, it came out quite a while ago). But, I would definitely recommend renting it first...

I ran out and bought this and I was very disappointed. The whole thing has a very "slapped" together feel to it and I didn't find it very informative. It has a commentary track, but that was also pretty bad.

Overall, I'm sure that Dawn of the Dead completists will want this, but I wasn't impressed. I sold mine on eBay a few months later.
Old 03-10-01, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The current R2 release of Dawn Of The Dead has Document Of The Dead. It also has two cuts of the film (Director's Cut and Argento Cut). Horrordvds.com said it looked pretty good, but it probably won't compare to the upcoming "definitive" release of Dawn from Anchor Bay, which, unfortunately, is scheduled for 2002.
Old 03-12-01, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I'll rent it for now and if I like it hope that it is included in the "Dawn: Ultimate Edition," whenever the hell that one comes out.