DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread

Trigger
03-08-01, 04:37 AM
Please feel free to use this thread to discuss Anime in general or ask specific questions about certain films. You are more likely to get your questions answered and your posts read if you put them here. Those who are interested in Anime can simply keep up with one thread instead of hunting around for anime related threads.

Also feel free to check out the Guide to Anime at this link:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=88502
Feel free to contribute as well.

This system of having these two threads worked great a few months ago. Here's the link to Part 2 (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=68372) of the thread. Part 1 is gone.

I will stop by here from time to time as well. ^_^

New idea - an FAQ for this thread... It will get bigger as time goes by.

FAQ

Q:
Is Ninja Resurrection the sequel to Ninja Scroll?

A:
Short answer: No
Long answer: Ninja Scroll is a movie and Ninja Resurrection is a 2 episode OVA. Jubei is the name of the main character in both shows, but that doesn't mean anything. Jubei is often used in Japanese literature - somewhat of a folk-hero. Sword of Truth and Wrath of the Ninja aren't sequels to Ninja Scroll either.

Q:
What does "otaku" mean?

A:
Sort of like a nerdy fan... like a Trekkie... goes to conventions, collects figurines, etc...

Q:
What's the difference between an OVA, an OAV, a TV series, and a Movie?

A:
OVA and OAV are interchangable... Original Video Animation or Original Animated Video... it just means it's a direct to video release. OVAs and TV series are usually both similar in length and released in episodes, but OVAs are usually a slightly higher quality of animation. Movies are movie length animes.

<small>

[Edited by Trigger on 03-10-01 at 02:43 AM]

BT
03-08-01, 04:32 PM
Bump to the top since I just saw another Anime thread appear...

Trigger
03-09-01, 02:28 AM
This isn't really taking off... I should've started a discussion... anyway...

I have the Lain set (lunchbox) and Cowboy Bebop and Jubei Chan... are there any good series that perhaps aren't out yet that I should keep my eye out for?

lodger_001
03-09-01, 02:32 AM
trigun's pretty good, still has a dvd or two before its completely out

cubanx
03-09-01, 04:11 AM
So much anime I have but I don't know what to recommend.

The only title I watched so far that I can say would be a waste is Amazing Nurse Nanako ... Watched the 3 DVD's yesterday...It had funny bits but what a mostly stale 3 hours

Also watched Shamanic Princess yesterday also and what a pleasant suprise... cool magic and plot twists.... good prologic sound and some beautiful scenes... nice value for $20 ( all 6 episodes )

Tuan Jim
03-09-01, 10:33 AM
I just started Gasaraki a while ago (still waiting for dvd #2, although #3 is also currently out.). It's a mecha anime with a different focus. Rather than being invincible fighting machines, the mechs are more like very mobile tanks. It's a very interesting series, and although the first dvd starts the story out rather slowly, it has a very intriguing premise and plot. (see animeondvd.com for more reviews and info). I'm really excited about seeing the rest of the series now.

Also, you didn't mention Neon Genesis Evangelion. I just viewed the 4th dvd 2 nights ago, and I'm really getting into this story. It just keeps getting better and better. I highly recommend it. It is of course another mecha, but it seems (like gasaraki) to be considerably different. You see a lot more focus on the characters and their feelings, thoughts, emotions, motivations, etc. than in a lot of series.

And yep, like some folks already mentioned, definitely check out Trigun. (and maybe outlaw star if you like space adventures).

Tuan Jim

Crazy Aoshi
03-09-01, 01:05 PM
Fushigi Yugi is great too, though expensive you can buy it all now, at least the tv series. I'd also recommend Slayers, Kenshin and the original Tenchi OAV series (all available in one set here called Tenchi: Ultimate Edition), not the tv series. The first tv series was ok, but volume 3 looks like it was mastered off of a bad VCD, so I stopped getting it altogether.

outer-edge
03-09-01, 02:59 PM
I will second Gasaraki.
I have all three DVDs so far and it just draws you more and more. FOr fair warning though, it does move at times, but I like that personally.

I will also second Tenchi OVA, and third Trigun.

For an excellent (yet sad) movie, check out Grave of the Fireflies.

Liquid Death
03-09-01, 03:24 PM
Definitely check out Outlaw Star if you liked Cowboy Bebop.

juice21
03-09-01, 08:05 PM
I'm not really too much into anime, but I got Revenge of the ninja from columbiahouse for like $5 bucks, figured it's the same as renting it. I thought it was pretty good. What do you guys think? Any suggestions of good anime for someone who hasn't seen alot???

mayfieldbrian
03-09-01, 09:46 PM
What are some opinions on "Martian Accent Nadescui"(sp?)? My cosin likes it, but I would like some more opinions.

Thanks

Jeraden
03-09-01, 10:11 PM
In regards to the Fushigi Yugi sets. Its a terrific series, but unfortunately the high cost keeps a lot of people away, including me. I ended up buying both sets from someone in Hong Kong on Ebay. With shipping it only cost me $100 for both sets. I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the US release, but its region free and has an English language track that sounds pretty good (not a bad dub). I see a lot on Ebay with no bids - people are usually wary of buying from people overseas, but in this case its very much worth it.

Trigger
03-10-01, 12:49 AM
I also have been getting Black Heaven, Dual, Gasaraki and a few others... Dual is kinda like Gasaraki meets Tenchi Muyo. Black Heaven kinda sucks. Martian Successor Nadesico sucks... I simply don't like goofy children's mecha shows... lots of exaggeration and YELLING and stupid characters. Perhaps the story gets better, but I can't get into it.

I actually like Dual kinda and I've been getting into Gasaraki. I have Trigun and Outlaw Star ordered - I saw one disc of Trigun and a few episodes of Outlaw Star - they didn't impress me much, but I figure perhaps the story gets alot better if you watch all of them. I don't see either of them being nearly as good as Cowboy Bebop.

What's Fushigi Yugi all about? I don't want to invest all that dough unless it's really good. I know everyone thinks Ruroni Kenshin or Samurai X or whatever is good, but I thought it was hella boring and I didn't like any of the characters.

puzzlefighter99
03-10-01, 04:57 AM
has anyone bought the Streetfighter Alpha series that came out in conjuction with the movie? i'm thinking about buying them because i saw 7 episodes on the first dvd but not real sure about the quality of the series...

Jackskeleton
03-10-01, 05:06 AM
I'm a big fan of the evangelion series. one of the best series i have seen so far (IMHO) great character design, and the story is not your standard giant mech plot. it has real thickness to it, and has more plot twist then you can imagen down the line.. I am thrilled to see them putting them out at a fast rate. :)

Trigger
03-10-01, 05:45 AM
I decided to start an FAQ for the first post. I ran out of ideas quickly... If you guys think it's a bad idea, I'll take it off. If you think it's a good idea, then perhaps you could toss one out there. I just thought it would be helpful for those who were perhaps new to anime. If you see someone ask a common question, answer it and tell me if I should put it up in the FAQ or not. Good idea? Bad idea? /me shrugs

{edit} Oh yeah - and by all means - I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong in my answers or even if I'm slightly off or even if you could just explain it better.

isamu
03-10-01, 07:26 AM
I went and bought the remaining Cowboy Bebop discs(4,5,6), Mononoke, Endless Waltz and Bulletproof at Suncoast today...DAMN their prices are astronomical($32.99 for Cowboy Bebop)!

When I finally have the complete Macross, Evangellion, Cowboy Bebop, and Escaflowne series sitting on my shelf however, I'm gunna have a goo fest:)

Feneant
03-10-01, 11:28 AM
Search for my thread in DVD Bargains, the first 3 Lost Universe DVD's are only 15$ a piece with free shipping in the US up to the 31st of March. Check this link and suscribe to the newsletter... they probably have the best anime deals (or sure seem to when looking at this months list).

https://www.advfilms.com/coolanime.html

Feneant
03-10-01, 11:30 AM
As for you folks who don't touch VHS, check out the DVD releases of Orphen and Crest of the Stars. I've only seen 2 episodes of both but am already very eagerly awaiting the dvd's. Both are listed as March releases and both have now been apparently pushed back by ADV it seems... so you might have to wait, but I'm thinking that those 2 series will be the best ones to make their apparition to DVD for 2001.

Isildur
03-10-01, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know what's up with Rurouni Kenshin? The release date for Volume 5 keeps being pushed back. Also, is there any truth to the rumors that they will be decreasing the number of episodes on each disc?

Feneant
03-10-01, 11:58 AM
Why do ppl who ask for anime suggestions always get told to watch Akira, GITS and Ninja Scroll?? If I saw those 3 only, I'd never watch any anime again! There is an infinite amount of better anime out there than those 3 outdated movies that don't cut it. My friend has the GITS DVD and he hasn't even opened it yet and doesn't plan on it. I watched Akira last summer and was "this sucks bad". And if you absolutely want Ninja anime, get some Kenshin, it's so much better than Ninja Scroll could ever be. If ppl ask for anime and those 3 are the only ones you've seen, don't answer the question.

Trigger
03-12-01, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Feneant

Why do ppl who ask for anime suggestions always get told to watch Akira, GITS and Ninja Scroll?? If I saw those 3 only, I'd never watch any anime again! There is an infinite amount of better anime out there than those 3 outdated movies that don't cut it. My friend has the GITS DVD and he hasn't even opened it yet and doesn't plan on it. I watched Akira last summer and was "this sucks bad". And if you absolutely want Ninja anime, get some Kenshin, it's so much better than Ninja Scroll could ever be. If ppl ask for anime and those 3 are the only ones you've seen, don't answer the question.

I disagree... I think Ninja Scroll is a classic. The only people I know who don't like it are those who are too jaded to just enjoy it without worrying about all the attached hype because they've seen like almost every anime out there. Ghost in the Shell is a terriffic movie... It's not without flaws, but it's a great film to start with to get somebody interested in the genre. Akira I haven't seen in many many years, and I don't remember it. I just remember that I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen before when I first saw it. I imagine I'd still enjoy watching it again since I kinda like the director.

I can sort of see your point though - I don't really want these films to be as representational as they are for Anime. Despite a few complex subtexts, they are basically just showcases for fantastically bloody and violent cartoons. The uninitiated will see these and realize that just because it's animated doesn't mean it's for kids. They are certainly well done and although they lack the depth of many other anime, they are at the very least an important staple in the genre. I think Cowboy Bebop or Perfect Blue would be good starters also.

The thing that makes these films so popular and what makes them such good canditates for de-virginizing someone into the world of anime is that they are a slap in the face... most people have short attention spans - especially when it comes to things unknown but that they have a preconception about. If someone thinks cartoons are for kids and that it wouldn't interest them, these 3 films are a great way to grab them by the balls and make them interested. Once they are interested, throw some deep and meaningful stuff at them... they'll be more receptive.

I guess I just don't share your idea that these are bad films. I enjoy them. Much the same way I enjoy hollywood action movies like Die Hard and Armageddon and Lethal Weapon and Jackie Chan films. However, I also love films that touch me on a deeper level or make me think or evoke an emotion or two. Half or my collection (excluding anime) is hollywood blockbuster mindless eye candy while the other half is quirky low-budget or independent films made to mess with your head in one way or another.

I also don't think that there's an infinite number of better anime out there... there's very little good anime out there. I guess I exclude alot of it because I'm not into mecha... several years ago, it seemed like the only anime out there was either about mechas in outer space or mechas or outer space. Things have changed only slightly, but they are getting better. I have to say though that I didn't like Kenshin at all... I didn't find any redeeming qualities in the characters at all and thus I don't care about them. It's just really boring so far (I'm watching the OVA and I'm on disc 2). You're entitled to like it though... It's at least produced well and has some good drama in it. I wish I could get into it, but I can't.

Trigger
03-12-01, 07:24 AM
This was posted in the Guide to Anime Thread - so I brought it over here...

Originally posted by cubanx
Question,

I saw Magic User's Club DVD listed as 30 minutes with a MSRP of $29.99 somewhere (Forgot) .... Is that correct?

Lowest price I saw online was around $20 but no one had the actual running time listed

Are you kidding me?

Go to http://www.pricegrabber.com and type in "Magic User" in the search box... I found the DVD going for as low as 16 bucks and everyone had it listed as having a running time of 60 min. There appear to be 2 discs available - vol 1 and vol 2. I imagine there are 2 episodes to each disc... I don't know since I've not seen it (at least I don't think I have - I may have). It looks like Cardcaptor Sakura kinda... Since it's from Media Blasters though I'm guessing it's some sort of prOn.

drkhwk
03-12-01, 02:05 PM
^^^

The Eigeman
03-12-01, 06:41 PM
As for mahou tsukaitai (aka Magic Users Club, or the Japanese pun, I Want to Use Magic), the one being released on DVD is the OVA series, which contains 6 episodes, and since there are only 2 eps per volume, then there will be 3 volumes coming out on DVD in the U.S.. Don't let the witch thing fool you...it's part sci-fi, and part witch...but the sci-fi won't take effect until the very ending and continue into the TV series (yes, there is a TV seris of this show, that came much later than the OVA).

As for the rant, most of the best anime shows are not even out in the U.S. and there are more to come. What people suggest for others to see, generally, are the anime shows that got them into anime. I remember in the early 90's, it was Robotech-this or Robotech-that, or Akira-this, or Akira-that, or Bubblegum Crisis-this or Bubblegum Crisis-that, that got them into anime in the first place. Those were the shows that people were using to get people interested in anime. Naturally, everyone has different tastes, and for those who have seen more anime, can recommend better anime than the popular titles everyone else states, because most current fans have very limited anime experience, and mostly seen what has been released in the states, dubbed or subbed (and that's not saying a lot). Rurouni Kenshin TV series, OVA, and movie are quite good, but the TV series only started getting better around mid 30's and ends the great sequence close to ep. 70. After that, it's back to being plain and boring. GITS is actually not that old, considering the other two titles mentioned like Akira or Ninja Scrolls. Both of these latter movies were released in the late 80's and they hold up pretty well over the test of time. The former, GITS was created in the mid-90's and hence is not considered old by any means. If you were an anime fan post GITS, it may seem old to you, but if you are a true anime fan of the old generation (the generation that still accepts watching raw Japanese anime), then GITS is still considered pretty new in relativity, because the movie redefined anime, like most of its predecessor, like Akira, which redefined the style and story-telling and animation techniques. GITS did the same thing, which created a whole new computer-generated overlay look of anime, which is the new adopted look of newer anime (if you couldn't tell already). Prior to GITS, there were less computer generated anime than there are currently. Akira redefined in-between drawing, smoothing out a lot of the choppy look of the 80's anime. If you compare anime movies prior to Akira and post-Akira, you can tell there has been a huge shift of production value. Why do you think the recent anime movie, Gundress, bombed in the Japanese anime movie market? If you have seen it, it went back to the old style that was heavily seen in the 80's...very poorly animated, poorly colored, poor execution and in-between work. And this movie came out in 1999, and is by Shirow, with character designers by Kenichi Sonada (of BGC fame). When a shift occurs in anime, it's due to great works of art. Princess Mononoke has shifted anime movies to a whole new height, and has brought Ghibli to reconsider their target audience a bit better, since PM made the most money of all the Ghibli movies combined.

As for Dual, it is more Tenchi meets Evangelion (not Gasaraki). Dual is practically the same as Evangelion with a Tenchi point of view. Of course, this is coming from the producers/creators of Tenchi. <heh heh> Great TV series (yeah, it looks like an OVA, but it ain't).

As for Martian Successor Nadesico, ADV did a poor job with the translation, or whoever translated it, did a poor job with the translation. There are many Japanese culture subtexts and anime references, that if you don't know it, it will seem stupid and silly to you. Basically, this series has so many inside-jokes of the anime world, that if you haven't watched that many anime, then it will just go over your head. Many of us old-school anime understand it because we know what the jokes are all about. I am amazed they don't have liner notes to explain all the significance behind everything. The Japanese DVDs have every info on all their inside jokes. However, Trigger, this is a funny series, but you will need to watch a whole slew of old 70's and 80's anime to understand what shows they are making fun of. In addition, it's not a "Chulip", it's a TULIP!!! Ugh, I hate bad translations...like Media Blaster's Rurouni Kenshin.

As for Gasaraki, it's great that people enjoy it because it's one of the few "serious" anime series out there that do not exaggerate and give a really mean plot and character development. Other great series are Legend of Galactic Heroes (104 episodes, a few movies, some side stories movies and series) which is one great space opera, very serious and very political. Another one is Votoms (52 episodes) which is coming out soon on DVD, and this one is a mecha-show, but the tone is pretty serious and not taken lightly. Gasaraki follows in this tracks of serious anime that most anime fans really don't know much about. It's a great series, 26 episodes total.

Fushigi Yuugi is a 52 episode series, based on a shoujo (girl) manga of the same name. If you don't like angst, then don't buy it. (Due note: most shoujo manga and anime are angst-ridden...most but not all). It is about a Japanese school girl, Miaka, and her best friend, Yui, who gets transported back into Ancient China via a book called the "Four Gods of Heaven and Earth". These girls become the prophesied "Miko" (priestess)...Miaka is on the Suzaku (the sign of the Phoenix...one of the four gods), and Yui is on the side of the Seiryuu (the sign of the Dragon...another of the four gods). Basically, to get back to their world, they have to call up the power of their god, and they are granted 3 wishes. But in order to do so, they have to find 7 protectorates each, with symbols on their bodies that correlate with the sign of their god. (All this is under Chinese mythology...fyi). Anyhoo, the two-pack each consist of 26 episodes, which is not too shabby considering what they are charging. It's a great series for die-hard Fushigi Yuugi fans. If you have not watched the whole series, rent it first or watch someone else's. Pioneer only made so many and doesn't expect it to be ultra popular with newbie anime fans, but only for die-hard FY fans. Great series...lots of angst...a lot of great characters die...'nuff said.

Trigger, you should change your answer for Otaku. The Japanese do not know where the word originally came from, but a lot of them expect the break down of Otaku comes from the word taku, which means home. O is an honorific prefix and combined creates the word, Otaku. The Japanese people believe that those who are labeled otaku implies people who usually do not leave the house, so people who stay indoors a lot...and anime would do that to you (as seen in the OVA series Otaku Generation). Otaku now implies, by definition of the Japanese, to imply "someone who is really into (along the lines of obsession) something"...this could be applied to anything, and not just anime hobby, basically any hobby where one is obssessed over it. Basically, the American equivalent word we can give Otaku is close to the word Freak, but Freak has a negative connotation in the American usage of the word. Otaku, by Japanese definition, is not a negative connotative word, so it isn't deragatory...it's more along the lines of a neutral adjective of someone. But, we Americans now use the word solely for anime purposes. Funny how things work out... :P

Hmm, anything else to discuss...<shrug> if anything pops up, I'll discuss that one too.

[Edited by The Eigeman on 03-12-01 at 03:45 PM]

Trigger
03-14-01, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by The Eigeman
As for Martian Successor Nadesico, ADV did a poor job with the translation, or whoever translated it, did a poor job with the translation. There are many Japanese culture subtexts and anime references, that if you don't know it, it will seem stupid and silly to you. Basically, this series has so many inside-jokes of the anime world, that if you haven't watched that many anime, then it will just go over your head. Many of us old-school anime understand it because we know what the jokes are all about. I am amazed they don't have liner notes to explain all the significance behind everything. The Japanese DVDs have every info on all their inside jokes. However, Trigger, this is a funny series, but you will need to watch a whole slew of old 70's and 80's anime to understand what shows they are making fun of. In addition, it's not a "Chulip", it's a TULIP!!! Ugh, I hate bad translations...like Media Blaster's Rurouni Kenshin

First off - WOW - you said a mouthfull. You're quite the expert. I knew my definition of Otaku wouldn't be acceptable. It seems to be used to describe a geeky collector nerd. I don't know - Do you even think an FAQ is worth it? This thread seems to go overlooked. I saw 4 Anime threads above this one. Guess people aren't catching on.

In reply to the above portion of your post, you seem to think I'm a newbie to the whole Anime thing... I'm not. When I say there aren't that many good anime out there, I'm talking about anime that's accessible to me. Living in the states, I don't get to see all the good stuff. There are several titles I have been itching to see but that aren't available here. Like I said though... I'm just not into mecha anime. It's not that the jokes in Nadesico were over my head... I got the jokes and knew where most of the references were coming from. I just didn't find them very funny. I got all the jokes from the A-Ko stuff and I found that to be an amusing show. I liked it heaps more than Nadesico... But I also like Kekko Kamen, so my taste is questionable.

I grew up on healthy doses of Robotech and Voltron and stuff like that. I saw Akira when it first hit the states. I saw Ghost In the Shell the day it hit the shelves in the video store I was working in. I had seen stuff like old bubblegum crisis, fist of the northstar, old sol bianca, wicked city, ninja scroll etc etc.. I didn't really start getting into it until DVD came around. DVD put anime in a collectible price range for me. If only I was fortunate enough to have ALL anime available to me, then my life could be complete. Seriously though, I do know my knowledge of anime is limited, but I'm neither an "otaku" nor am I a newbie. I have about a dozen different animes on VHS and about 100 anime DVDs.

I have my own tastes when it comes to anime, I like certain things and I dislike others - just like with regular movies. I don't think that I am required to see every anime in existence before I can decide whether or not I like or dislike a particular show. I'm glad to have an expert like you around though so I can consult with you before buying into another stupid series. I picked up 3X3 Eyes having passed over it several times over the years... I had only started hearing praises of it recently surrounding the DVD release. I can see that the story is developing nicely despite a rocky start, but I don't think I can handle the artwork. It's the guy's eyes in particular. I thought they stopped doing those half-moon slits ages ago (ages before this was inked). I can't remember the last time I saw that... it was sure annoying though. It's making it hard for me to get into the series cuz all I can think about is "when is he gonna open his regular eyes??". I'm only about 40 minutes worth in to it... I'm hoping it will get better.

Blue Seed is cool too. I picked this one up on DVD. I saw an episode or two a long time ago and remembered it being much cooler, but it's still pretty cool. Very involving story. It's reminding me a little bit of Urotsukidoji without the tentacle porn. Urotsukidoji was my second anime DVD. :) I actually am among the few who think it's a good story with a little tentacle porn thrown in now and then. Speaking of hentai - Imma Youjo isn't bad either (storywise)... it's better than Cool Devices in that respect.

Anyway - thanks for all the info - I appreciate it. Keep it up. :)

The Eigeman
03-14-01, 09:28 PM
As for 3x3 Eyes, the whole joke is his eyes. He only opens it once...and only once throught the 2 OVA series. Remember, he has a "Wu" on his forehead, which means "nothing"...basically a body w/o a soul. His eyes are a reflection of his souless nature. It's an inside joke. It's better explained in the manga which the anime ova's are based off of.

As for Nadesico, it's not really a mecha show as it is a comedy. The mecha is more a sub-plot to the comedy, but the characters are what pulls Nadesico into a great series.
The new series created by the same producers and production company called Gatekeepers is not a mecha show as it is a more "super-hero" type show, but still along the same comedy lines as Nadesico. This new series has more CG in it and you can really tell the production cost is pretty high per episode. Don't watch for the mecha. Watch for the comedy plot.

And as for your anime history, sorry about that. Sometimes, people in the states don't really understand all the significance of the little subtleties of anime jokes or the Japanese culture. ANd what makes it worse are Japanese puns which are impossible to translate in dub and can only be expressed in subs. I always say the more you know, the better you can appreciate the little subtleties of anime. Even I don't like everything I watch either, but I will watch the whole thing to make a final judgement because you will never know, sometimes the series will get better or worse as you continue to watch.

And be lucky anime became more popular in the U.S., it was a niche market in the past and a highly expensive hobby because we had to import all of our stuff from Japan. And Japan is still pretty expensive.

I'll be getting R2 of GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) (43 eps), which is a great series (gonna translate it for our club).

Eigey

Tuan Jim
03-14-01, 09:44 PM
As for you folks who don't touch VHS, check out the DVD releases of Orphen and Crest of the Stars. I've only seen 2 episodes of both but am already very eagerly awaiting the dvd's. Both are listed as March releases and both have now been apparently pushed back by ADV it seems... so you might have to wait, but I'm thinking that those 2 series will be the best ones to make their apparition to DVD for 2001.

I saw the first 5 or 6 episodes of Orphen at our campus anime club last semester -- very good stuff and I like the music a lot too. I'm waiting to pre-order it since it arrives 3/27, but not too many places are listing it. I wrote to the guy at bestprices.com though and he said he'd talk to their pre-order person about listing it and NGE vol 5.

Tuan Jim

GeoffK
03-14-01, 09:57 PM
Hey... We're looking for someone to pen an ANIME column here on DVD Talk and people to do more anime reviews.

Interested?

E-mail me at talk@dvdtalk.com with a writing sample if you are interested.

foxdvd
03-14-01, 10:56 PM
I just wish animeigo would get off their butts and get us Crusher Joe on DVD....

I also can not wait until someone gets Galaxy Express 999 to us!!!!!

Trigger
03-16-01, 03:08 AM
Has anyone here seen the new Sol Bianca DVD series?? It's fantastic. I was not sure if I liked it at first, but once I got past the computer animated style (like Blue Sub 6) and got into the story, it really grew on me. I've only gotten the first disc so far and I'm really looking forward to the other 2 I have on order. It is somewhere between Cowboy Bebop and Blue Submarine No. 6 kinda...

The Eigeman
03-16-01, 07:08 PM
Have you watched the first two movies of Sol Bianca?? The first two movies were actually better than the OVA series. They also came out in the early late 80's/early 90's. But overall, the OVA series is not bad. The style of CG coloring is really gonna be part of anime nowadays. That won't go anymore since it seems to be a whole new wave for Japanese studios to explore and work with.

Trigger
03-17-01, 12:49 AM
Have you watched the first two movies of Sol Bianca?? The first two movies were actually better than the OVA series. They also came out in the early late 80's/early 90's. But overall, the OVA series is not bad. The style of CG coloring is really gonna be part of anime nowadays. That won't go anymore since it seems to be a whole new wave for Japanese studios to explore and work with.

No - I've always been curious about the previous Sol Bianca stuff... my video store has this really old VHS copy of Sol Bianca, but it's in episodes, so I don't think it's a movie. Never watched it. Much of the older anime is leaving me cold these days - much like when I go back to my old punk rock records... I'm just not in the mood. Sol Bianca is something I'd be interested in seeing the older stuff though. Is it available on DVD?

Kenshin
03-17-01, 01:59 AM
Never thought I could get into Love Hina until I actually sat down and watched it. Right now it is in Japanese and not released in the US yet.

Trigger
03-17-01, 02:45 AM
what's Love Hina?

Trigger
03-17-01, 06:01 AM
Anybody know where I can find the uncut Kite? I know that Media Blasters released it on VHS in the US this past January... I don't know if it's still cut or what - 800.com lists a Director's Cut version on VHS, but it's out of stock - they also say it came out in 98. It would be nice to get the Region 2 disc if it's NTSC (even if it's PAL) - anybody know where I can find that? I believe the UPC code for the US VHS version is 631595993233. I don't care if it's sub or dub. I have the cut version on DVD and it's a decent show... I'm curious to see if the uncut version is better.

omegachrome
03-17-01, 07:58 AM
i don't know about you guys but i thought black heaven is really cool, with the music theme and references to heavy metal and the 80's (although the 80s kind of sucked), trigun is awesome cool characters and just hilarious hijinks, cowboy bebop is sweet, outlaw star is also good but doesn't have as high production values as cowboy bebop, martian successor is hilarious and the characters and their development is what makes this series good (the occasional fight helps too) and of course the macross plus series is in my opinion one of the best out there.
oh by the way is anybody else excited about the macross box set coming out?

Feneant
03-17-01, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Trigger
Anybody know where I can find the uncut Kite? I know that Media Blasters released it on VHS in the US this past January... I don't know if it's still cut or what - 800.com lists a Director's Cut version on VHS, but it's out of stock - they also say it came out in 98. It would be nice to get the Region 2 disc if it's NTSC (even if it's PAL) - anybody know where I can find that? I believe the UPC code for the US VHS version is 631595993233. I don't care if it's sub or dub. I have the cut version on DVD and it's a decent show... I'm curious to see if the uncut version is better.

All that was cut are scenes of the girl having sex with the man, basically, you're lacking pedo sex... yay...

Feneant
03-17-01, 01:07 PM
what's Love Hina?

It's a comedy serie about a guy who lives with a bunch of girls, it's not ecchi in the sense of the term, but it's a lot of sexual enuendo and stuff. (I think, I heard tons about this last summer, but was too lazy to ever get any of it, the first part is right though)

Feneant
03-17-01, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by foxdvd

I also can not wait until someone gets Galaxy Express 999 to us!!!!!

Odds are slim that Galaxy Express will be released... I don't think it's popular enough and the animation is kinda horrid :p

You'll have to settle for Queen Emeraldas and some Harlock DVDs which I think are all you'll see of that storyline.

Feneant
03-17-01, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by gkleinman
Hey... We're looking for someone to pen an ANIME column here on DVD Talk and people to do more anime reviews.
Interested?

Geoff probably won't see this... but have one person do an anime column is a bad idea. I used to review anime fansubs a while back and it's very hard to get people to agree on a review... It's like having 1 person reviewing every type of movies at once since there are so many different types of anime.

Feneant
03-17-01, 01:15 PM
While I'm on such a padding spree (although I switch ideas at every post), another couple of series that will eventually come to DVD that you should look for are :

Initial D - a racing series of anime, very popular among the fansubbers and in Japan, will be on DVD eventually.

Mamotte Shugogeten - Reminescent of Oh! My Goddess and just as cute, I saw the first few episodes and it's extremly well made and funny.

Trigger
03-18-01, 06:16 AM

All that was cut are scenes of the girl having sex with the man, basically, you're lacking pedo sex... yay...

Well I don't want to get into a Kite debate with you, but I'll just say that I'd rather have films from overseas get to me as-is and uncut. I'm not into pedo sex, but it's just such a controversial topic that I want to see what the fuss is about. Some say the missing scenes are crucial to the development of her character while others like you say it's just pervo kiddie porn fan service. I want to form my own opinion since I seem to be one of the few people left who still haven't seen both versions (so it would seem).

Feneant
03-18-01, 09:51 AM
I want to form my own opinion since I seem to be one of the few people left who still haven't seen both versions (so it would seem).

I've not seen both versions and really don't plan on it. I think the uncut version was actually banned from North America for what it depicts... the only way I knew to get one was a bootleg VCD off the internet. Didn't we have this debate when you originaly started the anime threads?

Trigger
03-18-01, 09:02 PM
I want to form my own opinion since I seem to be one of the few people left who still haven't seen both versions (so it would seem).

I've not seen both versions and really don't plan on it. I think the uncut version was actually banned from North America for what it depicts... the only way I knew to get one was a bootleg VCD off the internet. Didn't we have this debate when you originaly started the anime threads?

heh - probably - although I don't have anything to debate about since I haven't seen both versions. I brought it up again cuz I wanted to know if anyone knew of where I could score an uncut copy of it cheap. I know Mediablasters was petitioned to release an uncut version and they caved in and were supposed to release it on VHS in Jan of this year.

SiberianTiger
03-18-01, 10:45 PM
here's my $.02

i'm relatively new to the anime scene but i started with robotech back in the days. i really like escaflowne and i'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet. i've seen PM and evangelion and really loved both. now i'm currently watching record of lodoss war (decent so far) and flame of recca (really good so far). i've seen a few episodes of slayer (kinda cheesy but i will watch more to see if i will eventually like it), trigun (kinda cool), and kenshin (very good). i want to watch the gundam series since people say it's good. ah, so much anime and so little time. heh

Trigger
03-18-01, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by SiberianTiger
here's my $.02

i'm relatively new to the anime scene but i started with robotech back in the days. i really like escaflowne and i'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet. i've seen PM and evangelion and really loved both. now i'm currently watching record of lodoss war (decent so far) and flame of recca (really good so far). i've seen a few episodes of slayer (kinda cheesy but i will watch more to see if i will eventually like it), trigun (kinda cool), and kenshin (very good). i want to watch the gundam series since people say it's good. ah, so much anime and so little time. heh

You sound like someone who is into the mecha and space stuff... You're pretty much guaranteed to like Cowboy Bebop. I could suggest Gasaraki and Dual and Sol Bianca and Jubei Chan: Ninja Girl - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch... Those should keep you busy...

Trigger
03-19-01, 04:23 AM
Somebody want to educate me on the whole Rurouni Kenshin thing? I got the OAVs and I guess there's just the 2 DVDs. The TV series seems to have 9 discs available for order and no end in sight... I guess there's something like 97 episodes or something. The movie is supposed to take place some time during the TV series and since I've only seen the OVAs - I probably won't like it. I ordered the movie anyway. I didn't really like the OVA much after seeing the first DVD - I didn't find a reason to like the characters - but after watching the second DVD, I think it's a pretty decent show. Great twists near the end. My favorite series so far has been Cowboy Bebop - I wasn't into Trigun much... would I like this Kenshin TV series? Is it worth the investment? What's it like? Educate me.

Trigger
03-19-01, 04:26 AM
Also - could someone educate me on the Fushigi Yugi series? Worth getting? How much is there? Would I like it?

Jlbkwrm
03-19-01, 06:17 AM
Since I'm not a large Kenshin fan, I'll skip that, but I can provide you with a bit of Fushigi Yugi information.

Fushigi Yuugi (also refered to as Mysterious Play), is comprised of three main sections:
A 52 episode TV series
A 3 episode OAV series
A 6 episode OAV series

The TV series, which comes first, is actually comprised of two 26-episode seasons. Pioneer has released FY TV on DVD in two boxsets, each one containing 26 episodes, and retailing for about 200 bucks each. Pioneer released the FY OAVs on three tapes (Treating all 9 OAVs as one series, basically), and has plans to release all the OAVs in one DVD box set (Around 70-ish dollars, I think). The TV series is generally the most-loved of the FY anime, and can be viewed independant of anything else (it has an ending that ties up the assorted loose ends). The first OAV series, which apparently has no basis in the original manga, is really confusing, and not usually well liked. The second OAV series covers the last few volumes of the manga, introducing a whole new plot thread; opinions on this series vary.

FY is shoujo, and was/is an extremely popular series (though it did start experiencing the backlash common to any anime that becomes too popular). Common complaints are: it falls pray to a lot of shoujo anime cliches (the hyper heroine with a huge appetite, the fact that anything male in her vicinity is instantly smitten, the quiet best friend), the episodes all seem to follow an extremely similar formula, and are often given to melodrama.

However, I love this series. There is little filler throughout the run, almost every episode moving the plot in some way. If you like most of the main cast, the melodrama is enjoyable; there are some moments that are blatantly trying to tug at your heartstrings, and they're usually extremely successful. The heart of it is a romance, but there's enough going on around the edges to keep it from being pure mush.

If you like shoujo, then you should definately try FY (It's not a guarantee, but it's one of those series you just have to try). However, if shoujo is generally not your thing, pass it up. If you're totally unsure, try finding the first two tapes used on e-bay; it's way cheaper than springing for the DVD boxset, if you end up hating FY.

And, no matter what, do not purchase the OAVs (coming in a single boxset-type release from Pioneer) before watching the TV series. They rely heavily on the TV series, aren't quite as good, and will spoil the TV series for you.

BT
03-19-01, 06:03 PM

I saw the first Sol Bianca movie way back when and I enjoyed it immensely. All those pretty women! :) Now I have to find the second movie...

And for the Beginner's Anime suggestions, I would also like to add Macross Plus to that list. It is definitely 'new anime', as it was released in the '90s and was I think one of the first series to use computer graphics to enhance the animation. I recommend seeing the 4-part series first, and then the movie version. The movie version condenses the 4-part series, and while some parts are cut, they added a little more to make it worthwhile.

I also highly recommend Patlabor The Movie. It is very well done and was a very entertaining movie.

Question for the experts: What is your pick for the definitive 'mecha'-type anime out there? Robotech? Appleseed? Gundam? Evangelion? Bubblegun Crisis? Does one even exist yet?

-BT

The Eigeman
03-19-01, 07:40 PM
As for Kite, you have to remember the national consenting age for sex is 12 y.o.. Of course, provinces can overrule it and make it higher, but accordingly, Tokyo follows the national average. The main female character is 13 y.o., and by the national standards, she is legal to have sex at her age. However, Media Blasters had to up her age to 17 (or was it 18?) in the subtitle and edit some sex scenes out. The Japanese edition is full uncut and worth the price of purchase if you like Kite.

As for new anime, Love Hina...think Tenchi, but w/o all the fantasy stuff happening around the main guy character. It's a cute romantic love story with one guy and so many girls. He is a caretaker of sorts for a girls' dormitory. There are 24 episodes, plus 1 X'mas Special Episode in total. Initial D is on my recommendation list as a must watch series. There are two series, and one movie that came out earlier this year. The first series consist of 26 episodes, the 2nd series consist of 13 episodes. And as Fen said, it is highly popular, and a great joy ride, especially for those who love the thrill of car racing and Eurobeat music in the background. :P Mamotte Shugogetten is kinda cute, like Aa! Megami-sama (Oh! My Goddess), but it's pretty bland. Yeah, there are funny parts here and there, but overall, it really doesn't go anywhere.

Rurouni Kenshin has to be watched, TV series, first, then OVA's, then movie. When you have finished off the TV series, and watch the OVA's and then the movie, it will explain a lot. Watching the OVA's first will lose you because the way the creators did is that they expected you to already have seen the TV series, and know most of the legend of Himura Battousai (aka Kenshin), which was always alluding to his past, but they never spoke much of it. The OVA talks about Kenshin's past, and how he became a "hitokiri" (a character assassin), and why he stopped killing, and became a "rurouni" (a nomad/wanderer of sorts). The movie takes place within the crust of the TV series, gapping certain events...but you won't understand the movie until you are well into the movie (like 20-30 episodes into it at least).

Galaxy Express has a really good story plot, albeit it was made in the 70's, so the animation quality reflects that decade animation style. However, the story compensates for the lack of animation. Most of the best anime story plots were in the 70's and 80's. Galaxy Express 999 is still popular even today, just like Space BattleCruiser Yamato (aka Starblazers in the States). Both of these are still worshipped even to this day by old and new anime fans alike.

There are so many new anime coming out of Japan right now that I can list that are great to watch like: FLCL, Vandread, Gatekeepers, Now and Then, Here and Now, Argent Soma, GTO, Hunter x Hunter, etc.. So many new anime, so little money. :(

omegachrome
03-19-01, 10:18 PM
i feel macross plus has the best mecha design. gundams are cool but they look a little chunky, and some of the series like gundam wing can drag.
initial D sounds cool are there any links or pics anywhere?

SiberianTiger
03-20-01, 01:14 AM

You sound like someone who is into the mecha and space stuff... You're pretty much guaranteed to like Cowboy Bebop. I could suggest Gasaraki and Dual and Sol Bianca and Jubei Chan: Ninja Girl - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch... Those should keep you busy...

yeah, i'm an action/mecha kinda guy.

cowboy bebop: my friends have that and i will definitely look into that series.
gasaraki and dual and sol bianca: haven't heard of those really.
jubei chan: more hilarious than anything. i've watched some and i kinda like it but not enough to make me buy the dvds for it. i guess i like more serious anime.

hey, any good review sites out there? i have a few:

http://www.asu.edu/studentprgms/orgs/them/Anime/Reviews/index.html
http://animeworld.com/
http://www.abcb.com/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/

thanks for all your input guys. much appreciated

Kenshin
03-20-01, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by gkleinman
Interested?

Geoff probably won't see this... but have one person do an anime column is a bad idea. I used to review anime fansubs a while back and it's very hard to get people to agree on a review... It's like having 1 person reviewing every type of movies at once since there are so many different types of anime.

I would have to agree on this matter. Me and my friends would get into fights over which show is better than the other and if the subbing is better than the dubbing.

Trigger
03-20-01, 04:28 AM
What is a Shoujo? I am missing that word from my vocabulary.

As for FY, what anime series do you think it is closest related to? What is it's target audience age? What's the setting? Is it fantasy? Mecha? Time period? Age of characters? I appreciate all the info you dished out already though... Thanks

I just watched The Legend of Black Heaven DVDs 1, 2, and 3. I don't have 4 yet. When I got it, I just watched the first episode and part of the second - I wasn't impressed at all. In fact, the opening scene was so poorly animated - I thought I was watching Voltron or something... however - the animation improves and is very decent. There are a few moments of unique artistic style here and there that really add to the show. The story really develops and hooks you by the 3rd or 4th episode... It's actually a really good series. Having been in a band myself and now practically married - I saw a lot of similarities in my life. It's pretty funny and has some romance as well. I change my original opinion and now I think it's a great series and I recommend it to anyone.

I saw Patlabor 1 and 2 and I wasn't all that into it. Mecha stuff leaves me cold (with a few exceptions). I don't understand the attraction. Nadesico was simply annoying.

I already watched Samurai X OVA and I kinda liked it. I didn't like it after watching only the first DVD, but after watching the second DVD - it rounded out the story and made the whole show enjoyable. I'm wondering if the TV series will be interesting enough to invest the time and money in.

I also want to start a new topic (well really an old topic) - Sub vs Dub... Personally - I don't speak Japanese, so typically I tend to watch anime Dubbed. I watch foreign movies and kung fu subtitled mostly because it's too distracting to see the mouth say something different than the voice. Anime is different because I can't tell usually. Their mouths just open and close usually instead of expressing the formation of the sounds. It looks like they could just be saying "MA MA MA MA MA MA MA"... It's not that I don't like reading subtitles - I don't mind usually - I just prefer hearing it in my own language as long as the voice actors aren't too sucky. Also - sometimes the Japanese voice actors are just as annoying as the english voice actors. In a review I saw somewhere - the guy said that they chose the Japanese voice actors perfectly for the characters and they were great actors but the english dub actors were terrible and poorly chosen for the characters. Well - since I don't speak Japanese, I don't see how I can tell how good the japanese actors are or aren't. I've watched about as many dubs as I have subs and lately I think I've just decided to go with dub more. I know the translations get mucked up, but it's not like the subtitles do much more justice... In Black Heaven for example, they were telling jokes in the form of puns based on rhymes... while some worked out good - a few got lost in the translation - the sub provided no better answer. However, some people are die-hard sub fanatics and wouldn't listen to a dub if their life depended on it... I don't get it.

Trigger
03-20-01, 04:30 AM
Oh yeah - also... I didn't care for any of the Macross stuff I've seen. Yawn-fest. I'm just not into mecha stuff.

Anyone see the new Vampire Hunter D?

Jlbkwrm
03-21-01, 04:47 AM
What is a Shoujo? I am missing that word from my vocabulary.

As for FY, what anime series do you think it is closest related to? What is it's target audience age? What's the setting? Is it fantasy? Mecha? Time period? Age of characters? I appreciate all the info you dished out already though... Thanks

Important Anime Vocabulary (Which I tend to take for granted, and should therefor make clear):

Shounen - Created for boys (Most Popular Example (MPE): Dragon Ball Z)
Shoujo - Created for girls (MPE: Sailor Moon)
Seinen - Created for college-aged men (MPE: Maison Ikkoku)
Josei - Created for women (Not really anything popular in this catagory in North America.)
Mahou Shoujo - Magical Girl shows (MPE: Sailor Moon)
Ecchi - Slightly perverse. Think pantyshots, lots of fanservice.
Hentai - Anime Porn! Woohoo!
Bishounen - Cute boys. Usually, bishounen look very feminine. (MPE: Any male ever drawn by CLAMP)
Bishoujo - Pretty girls.

While technically incorrect, the terms are commonly used so that shoujo is anything aimed at females, and shounen is anything aimed at males.

Aaaaanyhow. Shoujo is really anime aimed at teenage-and-younger girls, which tends to focus heavily on relationships, and that kind of thing. If you've seen Escaflowne at all, that show is a pretty good mix of shoujo and shounen, with episode one being tilted in favor of shoujo. Other titles released in the US that qualify as shoujo:

Please Save My Earth (which is one of the best anime OAVs I've ever seen, period, even with the lack of a conclusive ending)
Revolutionary Girl Utena
(Bishoujo Senshi) Sailor Moon
Cardcaptor Sakura (important to note that the WB's Cardcaptors has edited out most of the shoujo stuff, so Cardcaptors is not really a shoujo title)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Gestalt
Vision of Escaflowne (okay, so this one has both shoujo and shounen elements, so it gets to be both. Ain't it special?)

FY isn't really close to any of the above series (no more close than Outlaw Star is to DBZ), but it shares the tendency to be more character-driven than plot driven. It's also important to note that, despite being aimed at younger girls, many shoujo fans are males in their fourties. So, it's a random thing. And stuff like Rurouni Kenshin, and Gundam Wing, are nominally shounen, but have huge female followings, due to the bishounen factor.

People in search of a good fighting/stuff blowing up/fanservice/girls-with-back-problems-in-spandex anime will probably not like most shoujo, and almost definately not FY. If, however, you like complex-ish characters, intense and tangled relationships, don't mind movies that have scenes worth crying over, and can tolerate a smidge of melodrama, FY *might* be your cup of tea.

Brief-ish FY Plot Summary:

Miaka is 14 (or right around there), irresponsible, and possessed of a bottomless pit for a stomach. High school entrance exams are coming up, and she's nervous as heck. Her best friend, Yui, is super-smart, and viewed as very likely to get into one of the most exclusive high schools-Thus leaving Miaka alone, which is bad. On a trip to the library, Miaka sees something and ends up wandering into a room full of old books. Yui finds her, starts reading the book, and the two girls get sucked in, finding themselves alone in a world somewhat similar to ancient China. At some point, Yui gets pulled back to Earth, and Miaka is alone. In a strange land. More stuff happens, and Miaka finds out that she is Suzaku no Miko (Priestess of Suzaku), and it is her job to find the Suzaku Seven, and have them help her summon the god Suzaku, who will grant her wishes. And from there, the series takes off, and all sorts of things happen. Lots of comedy, very strong characters (How can one not love Chichiri and Nuriko?)

Does that help, at all?

Now, Sub Vs. Dub:

I'm a huge sub fanatic. I will listen to dubs, if my little brother wants to watch, but I will always listen to the original language track first. I've got a *huge* problem with most female dub voice actresses, in that they try to pull off little-girl cute, and end up sounding ludicrous in the process, and name mispronounciation bugs the heck out of me.

Dub scripts are almost always toned down (I'm not saying this to be snobby; it's just something I've noticed watching shows in both languages, and something ADV seems to really, really like doing), and there are subtleties in Japanese, especially related to politeness, that just don't translate. If you watch enough anime, you learn to pick up on the different speech patterns, and add in that I've had some Japanese courses, and I personally get a better feel from a series subbed.

That said, I'm not vehemently anti-dub; I just won't buy a DVD without the original language track on it.

About Black Heaven:

Love the series, have the first two discs (will get the third whenever my wallet allows), and found it pleasantly adult, in some strange way. As for the preview, are you talkin about the one with the 'uchu/fuchu/whatever' joke? I thought the sub translation, English meaning followed by Japanese words in parantheses, worked fairly well, myself, and wish companies would do it more often.

[Edited by Jlbkwrm on 03-21-01 at 01:51 AM]

Jlbkwrm
03-21-01, 05:06 AM
Kite. Kite. Kite.

I felt like adding this bit o' info:

Kite was released in Japan as two OAVs. These were uncut, but edited. Namely, people's naughty bits had been mosaicd out (digitally blurred).

There are now two versions of Kite in the US. The first one, released by Anime Works, is missing all of the sex scenes. Ones with consenting adults, unconsenting adults, and unconsenting kid are all cut. There are a couple brief flashes of nudity, but say bye-bye to explicitness. This is available on Sub and Dub VHS, as well as DVD.

The second, more recent, release is by Kitty Media. It's called the Director's Cut, so you can tell it apart from the normal version. This has everything but about twenty seconds of the original footage in it--And those twenty seconds all feature underage (obvious no-friggin-way-to-hide-it underage) sex. This release is also, apparently, minus the digital blurring over the naughty bits. So, you get to see the naughty bits, but you are missing the child porn. This release is currently only available on sub and dub VHS, and so nice e-mails to Kitty asking for a DVD release would be a Good Thing.

And with that, I shall declare my spammage done for the evening.

Trigger
03-21-01, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all those answers... I think after what you said - I'll pass on FY. It sounds like something I would perhaps enjoy watching once, but not lending itself to repeat viewings for me. Perhaps I need to watch Legend of Black Heaven again in Sub. My girlfriend refuses to watch anime in anything but Dub because the female voices bug the hell out of her. At least she watches anime with me. Know a good place to find the Kitty version of Kite cheap?

Trigger
03-23-01, 03:52 AM
^bump off page 3^

Trigger
03-24-01, 09:06 PM
Got BioHunter SPecial Edition, Saber Marionette J Disk 1, Sol Bianca disk 2, and Dancer in the Dark (not anime)... I will watch them and report back what I think - anyone watch these and have an opinion?

The Eigeman
03-25-01, 06:27 AM
I have no idea what BioHunter is...I just wish they included the Japanese title... Sometimes they make more sense.

As for Saber Marionette J...it's cute...very much for guys, but overall...bland...your typical guy-type anime with some stuff strewn here and there...

Sol Bianca the OVA series is definitely much, much, much different from the first set of movies back long ago (like 10 or so years ago). It has an interesting plot. Very CG. I would have to say that the plot in the early ones were better. The animation in the new one is, naturally, better than the older ones, but it is good relatively.

Trigger
03-28-01, 06:17 AM
Cardiac 161 asks:

I'm planning to increase my anime dvd collection. I'm not a huge anime fan but I do have the following:

Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Grave of the Fireflies
Ninja Scroll

I plan to purchase Akira once it's out. Are there anymore out there that are worth getting? I'm only considering anime dvds that stand alone as a feature-length film, not series since these anime dvd series are not only expensive but goes all the way to parts 4 or 5.

I heard about Vampire Hunter D but am hesitant to get it since the biggest complaint seems to be having either a bad story or bad animation (considering it was made in the 80s). Is it true there's a new version of this film that is better??

My answer to these questions are as follows:

If you're only interested in movies, you're going to miss out on some of the best anime has to offer. I understand not wanting to invest in series and have them span to the end of time and drain your wallet. Despite this though (and I know everyone will agree with me), you would be doing yourself a favor by picking up the Cowboy Bebop series. It's 6 discs total... will not be any more. You will like it. It will be your favorite anime ever. Period - end of story.

Beyond that, if you just want a few movie suggestions - I could say things like Castle of Caligostro, Princess Mononoke, and Patlabor - but these aren't going to be nearly as good as Cowboy Bebop. Akira isn't as good as Cowboy Bebop. Neither is Ghost in the Shell or Ninja Scroll. Perfect Blue is very good and I like it about as much as I like Cowboy Bebop.

2crappy
03-28-01, 04:05 PM
I've only seen the OAV and 2 moives on DVD. Is there any news about releasing the TV series on DVD?

I know the animation is not the greatest (at Pokemon level) but the story is fun and different.

BT
03-29-01, 03:37 PM
^----^

For a little visibility... :)

Feneant
03-29-01, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all those answers... I think after what you said - I'll pass on FY. It sounds like something I would perhaps enjoy watching once, but not lending itself to repeat viewings for me. Perhaps I need to watch Legend of Black Heaven again in Sub. My girlfriend refuses to watch anime in anything but Dub because the female voices bug the hell out of her. At least she watches anime with me. Know a good place to find the Kitty version of Kite cheap?

Since I'm bored, I'll just say you should still try to watch FY... the second season especially is fantastic, very few series go the way this one does during the second season. The only real complain I've heard for FY is that Miaka and Tamahome spend their time yelling out each others' name and it's too melodramatic... but otherwise, it's a fantastic story. Although the series Ayashi no Ceres which is made by the same people as FY is apparently much better suited for an older audience and will hopefully be released in late 2001. As for me, I'm going to watch the new Oh! My Goddess movie which a friend sent me last night, that could be interesting :)

tofu
03-29-01, 08:17 PM
Pioneer is releasing a Ranma 1/2 DVD in May. I don't know if its a TV series or not. (it sounds like it based on the title - Random Rhapsody - Who do?) Anybody know for sure?

BTW, I was a big fan of Blue Seed. Is there anything similar to it coming out soon?

Isildur
03-29-01, 08:34 PM
I've been thinking about purchasing Revolutionary Girl Utena recently. I saw a music video someone had made with some of the scenes(I think from the movie) and they looked rather intriguing. Can anyone recommend this anime? For reference, I didn't like Fushigi Yuugi: I thought it was too angsty and cliched, and the story was a little boring. I did like Escaflowne a lot, however, and thought it had a nice balance of story, action, and romance.

Startide
03-30-01, 12:50 AM
For those interested in more in-depth conversations, you can go to the following USENET newsgroups:

Bishonen & Yaoi
<none> I know of although there is a alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.anime.yaoi newsgroup.

Shoujo manga & anime
alt.anime.shoujo

You can also look at the various newgroups beginning with "rec.arts.anime." in their names. Your usenet client should be able to give you a list of those.

Trigger
03-30-01, 03:32 AM
I recently got Irresponsible Captain Tylor box set, Saber Marionnette J, Samurai X (the movie), and Biohunter - I'll be kinda busy for awhile. Saber Marionnette J is good. Haven't watched the others yet. I need to give it a rest for awhile - I've been ordering too much stuff.

The Eigeman
03-30-01, 05:32 AM
The TV series for Ranma 1/2 is Ranma 1/2: Nettouhen series that came after the original 12 episode series. The 2nd series is long winded (around 70 or 80 some eps? I can't remember, I stopped watching after episode 50-something).

As for shoujo, if you don't like Fushigi Yuugi then you won't like most shoujo stuff. Revolutionary Girl Utena is a shoujo series, and most shoujo series is very angstsy. That's the great part of shoujo is the intense melodrama behind everything.

Due note Trigger, Irresponsible Captain Tylor boxset has an error on Vol. 4, Episode 23. There is a chapter missing...chapter 3. In order to get a correct DVD, you have to send a $3.50 check and original receipt to TRSI (The Right Stuf International). Address to send for corrected DVD is at their website. Also due note, Trigger, Rurouni Kenshin: the movie (Samurai X: The movie) takes place someplace within the "Rurouni Kenshin" TV series, so unless you have watched the series, you won't understand most of the significance behind it because they don't do character intros...the creators already think you have watched the whole series already.

[Edited by The Eigeman on 03-30-01 at 02:35 AM]

isamu
03-30-01, 07:21 AM

Due note Trigger, Irresponsible Captain Tylor boxset has an error on Vol. 4, Episode 23. There is a chapter missing...chapter 3. In order to get a correct DVD, you have to send a $3.50 check and original receipt to TRSI (The Right Stuf International). Address to send for corrected DVD is at their website. Also due note, Trigger, Rurouni Kenshin: the movie (Samurai X: The movie) takes place someplace within the "Rurouni Kenshin" TV series, so unless you have watched the series, you won't understand most of the significance behind it because they don't do character intros...the creators already think you have watched the whole series already.

[Edited by The Eigeman on 03-30-01 at 02:35 AM]

1-Is Tyler a good series along the lines of bebop? Is is mostly action, comedy or drama?

2-do you recommend watching the RK series BEFORE the OVA? I heard the series is kinda funny/cheesy for the most part with the excption of the kyoto arc, and I hate comedic filler episodes....is the RK series ultimately worth getting?

The Eigeman
03-30-01, 12:10 PM
1-Is Tyler a good series along the lines of bebop? Is is mostly action, comedy or drama?

2-do you recommend watching the RK series BEFORE the OVA? I heard the series is kinda funny/cheesy for the most part with the excption of the kyoto arc, and I hate comedic filler episodes....is the RK series ultimately worth getting?

1) Yep, Tylor is a good series. It is an old series, about 7-8 years old from the early-mid 90's (around '93 or '94). It is very funny and a great watch altogether. This was made when storyplot still counted in anime (which most new anime seems to be lacking...although, some anime seem to be drawing in a better script these days). Tylor is predominantly space opera comedy. Funny as hell and just very enjoyable to watch. The animation is pleasant to watch for such an old series. Really great.

2) To really appreciate the movie and OVA's for Rurouni Kenshin, you need to watch the series. The TV series allude to everything about Kenshin's past on how he became a "Hitokiri Battousai" (not sure on the translation they used on the DVD, since I haven't watched it yet) and shows you his master in the series and shows you why he chose Kenshin. The OVA goes into more detail about Kenshin's past and explains how he got his cross-scars on his cheek, and also explains why he gave up being a "hitokiri" to become a "rurouni" (a "nomadic wanderer" of sorts). The movie can be watched by itself...but it takes place right before the big-arc storyline and gives more explanation as to why Kenshin had to go, so it does give some spoilers....not a good thing though.

As for the series, yeah, there are comedic episodes in between serious ones, but that is how it is like in the manga which the anime is based off of. The Japanese always have to use some comedic element to lighten the mood when it gets too serious. That way the emotional balance won't be too hard on teenagers (and kids) watching the series on television in Japan. The series is worth getting (all 93 episodes worth) just to watch the cool story-arc in the middle. :) However, you may get a little frustrated with the little action sequences because the characters do talk a lot rather than fight but tha is very "japanese-style". It gives more tension to the fight than an outright fight itself.

3) As for Yoko Kanno, she is the composer of BGM (BackGround Music) songs to such hits as Cowboy Bebop, and Escaflowne, etc.. She has a variety of talented compositions that she composes for anime series. A highly talented woman who doesn't speak much, even at the conventions she attended.

isamu
03-31-01, 06:00 AM

1) Yep, Tylor is a good series. It is an old series, about 7-8 years old from the early-mid 90's (around '93 or '94). It is very funny and a great watch altogether. This was made when storyplot still counted in anime (which most new anime seems to be lacking...although, some anime seem to be drawing in a better script these days). Tylor is predominantly space opera comedy. Funny as hell and just very enjoyable to watch. The animation is pleasant to watch for such an old series. Really great.

2) To really appreciate the movie and OVA's for Rurouni Kenshin, you need to watch the series. The TV series allude to everything about Kenshin's past on how he became a "Hitokiri Battousai" (not sure on the translation they used on the DVD, since I haven't watched it yet) and shows you his master in the series and shows you why he chose Kenshin. The OVA goes into more detail about Kenshin's past and explains how he got his cross-scars on his cheek, and also explains why he gave up being a "hitokiri" to become a "rurouni" (a "nomadic wanderer" of sorts). The movie can be watched by itself...but it takes place right before the big-arc storyline and gives more explanation as to why Kenshin had to go, so it does give some spoilers....not a good thing though.

As for the series, yeah, there are comedic episodes in between serious ones, but that is how it is like in the manga which the anime is based off of. The Japanese always have to use some comedic element to lighten the mood when it gets too serious. That way the emotional balance won't be too hard on teenagers (and kids) watching the series on television in Japan. The series is worth getting (all 93 episodes worth) just to watch the cool story-arc in the middle. :) However, you may get a little frustrated with the little action sequences because the characters do talk a lot rather than fight but tha is very "japanese-style". It gives more tension to the fight than an outright fight itself.

3) As for Yoko Kanno, she is the composer of BGM (BackGround Music) songs to such hits as Cowboy Bebop, and Escaflowne, etc.. She has a variety of talented compositions that she composes for anime series. A highly talented woman who doesn't speak much, even at the conventions she attended.

Thanx for the reply...

1-Tylor looks like a future purchase for me later this year when I get the dough.

2-Based on your description of Kenshin, it sounds similar to DBZ, especially the part about lots of talking before the fight to mount the tension. Which believe it or not, is what I kinda like about DBZ. So I think I'll get it.

3-Yoko Kanno...hehe, I know who she is. I sat next to her for like an hour during the Meet the Guest Reception at AX'99 and was in the front row at her concert recital where she performed a MAGNIFICANT piano rendition of Voices... It's just that I like throwing people off with that clever little question so even MORE people will discover who she is. I use this sig on EVERY forum I'm a member of. That way more people will get curious and wonder, "Hmm, who *is* this Yoko Kanno person?":)

Jlbkwrm
03-31-01, 06:16 AM
Basically, much of Bandai's recent Escaflowne DVD release has spoilers in it. I know that the whole Club Escaflowne section is Right Out until after finishing ther series, but I was wondering about the following:

The insert for--I think--volume three is supposed to include spoilers. Anyone know the episode the spoilers are for? I'd like to read it, but don't want to spoil anything.

And, the music videos on volume one. I've heard they contain spoilers, and was wondering how far in the series the spoilers went. I wanna watch.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm ecstatic that someone's liscencing FLCL. It's just such a pretty show (And I'd like more thurough subtitles than the import release provides)!

isamu
03-31-01, 11:26 PM
I canyt wait to get exkaflonay

Trigger
04-03-01, 08:12 AM
Bump^

Could you guys please use this thread instead of just posting some new anime question. This is to keep from having to sift through tons of posts to find stuff related to anime. If you post your anime questions here, they will be more visible to the right people - trust me.

Trigger
04-04-01, 08:27 AM
I have a question about Bubblegum Crisis. I saw the old series I think a long time ago and don't remember jack about it. I don't really like mecha anime, but what animes do these compare best to? I am wondering if the Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is worth getting - the cover art sure looks attractive. How many discs are there going to be? What's it like? Perhaps I should rent it first? FYI - Buy.com has it for 18.99 ea but they don't have volume 3.

kristoffer
04-04-01, 09:32 AM
I Love Akira and I am dying to see the new retsored and cleaned version on either dvd or the theaters.
But I never really understod the ending of the movie...

SPOILERS:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Are Tetsuro dead, has the world been destroyed and then recerated or has Kanada become Tetsuro or Akira?????
Please help me out here...
What happends in the comics?
Also could someone please tell me where I can get the ultra cool new poster. I seached high and low on the variouses internet poster shops...

The Eigeman
04-04-01, 04:15 PM
Bubblegum Crisis is not a mecha anime. It is never a mecha anime. It is an action-paced drama set in the future, with androids, robots, produced by Genom. The Hard-Suits the girls wear helps them to fight these monstrosities.

This is not a true mecha anime.

Trigger
04-04-01, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by kristoffer
I Love Akira and I am dying to see the new retsored and cleaned version on either dvd or the theaters.
But I never really understod the ending of the movie...

SPOILERS:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Are Tetsuro dead, has the world been destroyed and then recerated or has Kanada become Tetsuro or Akira?????
Please help me out here...
What happends in the comics?
Also could someone please tell me where I can get the ultra cool new poster. I seached high and low on the variouses internet poster shops...

Did a search on Google.com for akira posters and came up with tons of sites selling Akira posters in general... here's a few:
http://www.movies-and-posters.com/Akira.html
http://www.animecastle.com/akiraposters.html
I don't know what the new ones look like... but this is your best bet for finding it.

As for your question, I have no idea... it's been a long time since I saw it. I'm sure someone here can clear this up for you... I personally can't wait until the DVD comes out. I'm excited. I know they were talking about the premier in theatres over at http://www.aintitcoolnews.com

Trigger
04-04-01, 04:49 PM
Bubblegum Crisis is not a mecha anime. It is never a mecha anime. It is an action-paced drama set in the future, with androids, robots, produced by Genom. The Hard-Suits the girls wear helps them to fight these monstrosities.

This is not a true mecha anime.

Oh - I know it's more like a battle armor thing, but I was just saying that I didn't like mecha - and if this one plays like the mecha shows where everyone is screaming and it's all about inside jokes only for people who have watched every mecha anime since 1960 then I won't like it. So it's kinda like Power Rangers? What's it most like character wise? Is it like Cowboy Bebop or Nadesico or Tylor or Outlaw Star or something else? Is it good?

Trigger
04-05-01, 12:47 AM
So I read in another thread that Cowboy Bebop was going to come out in a Box Set (who didn't see this one coming) and will include a 7th disc and someone also speculated that it might also contain the new movie as well. Who will be buying this and who has any new info on the subject?

tjr2mental
04-05-01, 06:05 AM
Yes, there will be a box set for Cowboy Bebop released later this year, but as of now Bandai has not stated what will be included in it. I think that it is safe to say that they will "not" add the upcomming movie with it as the licensing cost will be high for that show.

They have also discused having a way where people who already own the whole series can obtain the extra (if there is one) that is to be included with the box set. But we will have to wait to see if that will happen. I.E. don't hold your breath. ;)

Trigger
04-05-01, 06:20 AM
I won't hold my breath, but that sure would be nice to be able to get the extra disc and the box to hold them all in. I can wait for the movie (but not for too long).

Also can't wait for the new Akira DVD and Spriggan.

Someone want to clue me into Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040? It looks like there's going to be 6 DVDs... what's this series like with regard to the characters, maturity level, target audience, animation quality, and story complexity? Cowboy Bebop? Outlaw Star? Trigun? Nadesico? Tylor? What? Please tell me. Is it worth getting for 17.99 per disc?

lazy bob
04-05-01, 07:17 AM
no...it's not worth it...you should save your money and go buy NAKED KILLER instead :)

actually...i've only seen the first four episodes and i didn't think it was all that great..but i was also a die hard fan of the ova series..so watching BGC 2040 felt a bit strange....

sexymama
04-05-01, 11:05 AM
Hi Trigger!

First, thanks for all the information. I've read both your threads and found them somewhat helpful.

Second, the reason I found them only "somewhat" helpful is that the information is a bit overwhelming. Do you think you could put in one place, those anime which you and the others think are good to start with?

I've watched quite a few over the years but don't really remember names except for Battle Angel, Ghost in the Shell, PM, Vampire Hunter D which I like. Couldn't really get into Dragon Ball Z except every once in a while (my fiance likes this series). I've just gotten hooked on Rurouni Kenshin series... Anyway, I tried keeping track of the ones people were suggesting for beginners but sort of got lost amidst the wave of titles and terminology. Your vocab list was great but I still didn't get all the terms you all are throwing around... :(

Oops! One last question (if you don't mind) -- do you have any advice on which way is the best way to buy these DVDs? They seem a little pricey. I know someone mentioned buying off of eBay but I distrust buying used DVDs... Sorry about all the requests/questions... Thanks in advance :)

Anyway, great work... I'm impressed!! :)

[Edited by sexymama on 04-05-01 at 08:08 AM]

tjr2mental
04-05-01, 12:41 PM
If you are looking for the lowest prices on anime dvd's I have found http://www.bestprices.com to be the lowest for most titles.

The problem with anime is the cost. If you buy your disks at a brick and morter store you will pay full retail for the most part. And as for eBay... Well, most of the time they go for what you would find online so I would avoid going that route. To many people on eBay do not know better than to look online for prices. :(

The Eigeman
04-05-01, 12:53 PM
I won't hold my breath, but that sure would be nice to be able to get the extra disc and the box to hold them all in. I can wait for the movie (but not for too long).

Also can't wait for the new Akira DVD and Spriggan.

Someone want to clue me into Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040? It looks like there's going to be 6 DVDs... what's this series like with regard to the characters, maturity level, target audience, animation quality, and story complexity? Cowboy Bebop? Outlaw Star? Trigun? Nadesico? Tylor? What? Please tell me. Is it worth getting for 17.99 per disc?

Bubblegum Crisis, the OVA series, released in the late 80's to early 90's is a fast action paced sci-fi series, with only 8 episodes. The story is great, with great songs/music to support the series. Bubblegum Crisis 2040 is a TV series aired in Japan which expands on the original OVA (since Bubblegum Crash was supposed to, but most people hated it...Bubblegum Crash was the continuing OVA series of Bubblegum Crisis). It includes new character designs and body suit designs (modified) to fit the new series. In addition, rather than having "Priss" as the lead character, like in the OVA, the TV series uses "Linna" as the main character. There are only a few slight differences of the story plot between the original OVA and the TV series, and the TV series does not implement songs like in the OVA. Complexity of story is quite high for both the OVA and TV series. These series are mainly for older teens to young adults.

tofu
04-05-01, 02:19 PM
what's spriggan about? any good?

PhoenixFlame
04-05-01, 04:05 PM
For whomever asked about Revolutionary Girl Utena ... it was and is one of my favourite shoujo animes. The story progresses nicely without being -IMHO - overly redundant like Fushigi Yuugi. It is also quite a bit shorter, going up to 26 episodes or so? Sorry, I don't remember the exact number ^^;

The story line of Utena is relatively mature, with underlying themes of apparent and insinuated homosexuality (both shounen ai and shoujo ai - mm and ff) as well as incest of a sort. A significant focus of this series is on relationships, and it attempts to evidence not so much the taboo of these relationships but their treasured, irrevocable potency ...the bonds between brother and sister, friends, enemies, etc. It portrays in various fashions the shattering of childhood dreams, a shedding of innocence and bitter transcendence into realization, and the omnipotent desire for eternity.

So far, only the first season is out on DVD, and season 2 has been licensed, with the third and last still to be claimed. In its entirety, Utena is breathtaking. But the first season is no less amazing than the whole - give it a shot ^_^

On a side note - does anyone know of any mailing lists that notify subscribers whenever another anime is scheduled or licensed to be released on DVD? That would be a tremendous help, as opposed to checking animeondvd.com every time - besides, I often forget and miss the pre-orders, so I don't get my 30% off at Amazon ;_; Thanks!

The Eigeman
04-05-01, 05:12 PM
Spriggan is awesome. I have the R2 DVD. It is a must purchase title. :) It is brought to you by the same people who did GiTS. :) Same goes for Jin-Roh. :)

Great movie.

Trigger
04-06-01, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by sexymama
Hi Trigger!

First, thanks for all the information. I've read both your threads and found them somewhat helpful.

Second, the reason I found them only "somewhat" helpful is that the information is a bit overwhelming. Do you think you could put in one place, those anime which you and the others think are good to start with?
[Edited by sexymama on 04-05-01 at 08:08 AM]

Well I'm glad you appreciate it. The problem with having a short list is that many people have vastly different taste in anime. That's the purpose of the large list - it's broken up into different categories for people with different tastes and then you can see by the ratings (which are meant to be an average of people's submissions) which ones in that category are good and which are crappy. I try to encourage people to rate them fairly and not just give the anime a high rating because it's their favorite and they know it's not very popular so they give it a 10 just to bump it's rating up. I want to avoid that sort of thing.

As for a must-have list... I can give you my personal short-list, but everyone's will differ. These DVDs are safe bets because most people like them... some people who have seen millions of anime will say some of these are crappy, but the fact is that even though there may be better anime out there - these titles are good for the uninitiated. These anime are strong titles and while they may not be the best anime out there, most people start with these.

Cowboy Bebop
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Princess Mononoke

After you watch these, you will be hooked and will want more. Cowboy Bebop is a series consisting of 6 DVDs - I encourage you to get the whole set. You will like this alot. The rest are films. Perfect Blue and Princess Mononoke are more recent with the latter one being dubbed by famous hollywood actors (it doesn't matter, the dub still is annoying). Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll are a bit older but are still films that every anime fan should see and most like. I can't speak for anyone else really, but I think this is a solid short-list of titles for you to start with. If you want to get into mecha stuff like robotech or whatever, then you'll have to ask someone else - I liked Dual and Gasaraki, but not much else. Perhaps my tastes will change. Once you're initiated, I'd suggest getting Serial Experiments Lain and perhaps Jubei Chan: Ninja Girl - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch (4 DVDs) which is especially hilarious while Lain tends to be more of a thinking series. Anime isn't all just Anime - it's all different - that's what the list is for. Try these titles and perhaps someone can suggest a good Mecha title for you - you might also want to try Urotsukidoji to get your hentai and demon/beast quota out of the way in one film.

Hope this helps.

Now - my question -

About Bubblegum Crisis - I appreaciate your explaination of how the series relate to each other, but I'd really like to know how it is? What's it like? I mean - is it more like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun or Nadesico with regard to the maturity of the personal relationships? How would you rate it against other anime? Give me a "If you like ~this ~this and ~this, then you'll like bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - if your thing is more ~this ~this and ~this, then you probably won't dig it much because there's alot of ~this, ~this and plenty of ~that in it." - I would appreciate it if you could do that for me. :)

Also - with regard to Nadesico - I wasn't really into the first DVD of it - it was kinda not my thing. Not that the jokes were over my head - I got them... I just didn't find them all that funny. Does the series get progressively better after disc one? Does it stay pretty much like that throughout? Is disc 1 considered by most to be crappy while the rest of the series is regarded as being brilliant among the ranks of Cowboy Bebop? I'm selling my 2 Nadesico discs and have only watched the first one - I'm wondering if perhaps I'm making a mistake. Can't unseal Nadesico 2 because it's already sold. It's mecha which I am not into, but does the show rise above this stale plot theme after disc 1?

Thanks.
^_^

The Eigeman
04-06-01, 03:49 AM
Never judge any Japanese anime series by the first 4-8 episodes because usually those are the heavy character developments...then the actual plot comes in...that is most common in all TV series of anime. So rent the series, watch it and then make your judgement for Nadesico.

As for BGC and BGC 2040, basically, if you like action anime, then you'll enjoy it. It's uncomparable because there's nothing like it. BGC is a trendsetter for other anime like it. But nothing can compare to BGC. I always say, rent what you don't know and watch the whole thing before making any premature judgements.

Trigger
04-06-01, 04:02 AM
That's solid advice I suppose - I just wish I could find a place to rent these things. I'm sketchy on netflix.

The Eigeman
04-06-01, 01:00 PM
Rent the video versions then...
I'm sure there are places that cater to anime...but I have no idea where you live, so that may be a hassle.

It's always good to know more about anime before delving into it. Too many newbies get into anime without knowing much about it, thinking that all anime are alike. Not true. It takes years of watching old and new anime alike to give anime an appreciation it deserves.

Trigger
04-07-01, 05:50 AM
Hey - watch who you call a newbie... :)
Anyway - I plan to rent a bubblegum crisis tape next Tuesday. I also must confess that I watched Nadesico again today and I kinda liked it. I had recieved the second DVD and never watched it thinking about how I didn't like the first disc. So I put them up at Half.com and disc 2 sold, so I decided to record both discs before giving them away just in case I wanted to watch them later... well I watched them as I was recording and the first disc wasn't quite as bad as I remembered. The second disc started to get me hooked into the story and now I'm all on the fence about ordering the rest of them. How many are there going to be total? 8? Well - it's a decent show I suppose... I still don't like all the yelling (I know why they do it and how it's supposed to be funny or whatever, but I just find it annoying most of the time - this time though it wasn't as intolerable), but I guess I kinda like it. I might even have to repurchase disc 2 (not such a big deal since I sold it for about what it would cost me new).

PhoenixFlame
04-07-01, 03:47 PM
Well guys - just finished watching BioHunter ... and I came away somewhat disappointed. Not bad at all by any means, just nothing spectacular ... a one-shot type deal. The animation style was strongly reminiscent of Wicked City, but both did come from the same producer or director. Besides, I did get to see a really nifty trailer of Kenshin ^_^

What are everyone's feelings on Kenshin - both the TV and OVA? I hear that the OVA's are amazing, but that the TV has a helluva lot of filler. Not surprising, as the series is over 90 episodes long o_O I'm afraid that I'll get hooked once I start watching it, spend all the money from my miserable student funds, and not be able to buy any other anime DVD's ^_^;;

Lastly, out of curiosity, are there any other shoujo fans out there? DVDTalk doesn't have a substantial female population to begin with, but I'm sure that plenty of male shoujo fans are out there somewhere :D

tofu
04-08-01, 03:24 PM
hi, can any of you guys recommend a fansub place that has a good copy of love hina? thanks.

Jlbkwrm
04-08-01, 04:56 PM
Random Info Showcase:

Nadesico will be six discs (volumes 5 and 6 will have five episodes a piece), plus one disc for the movie. Seeing the movie isn't necessary to enjoy the TV series (it's more of a sequel thing), so you'll have a perfectly complete set at 6 discs.

Any good fansub site has stopped carrying Love Hina. Bandai (semi-accidentally, from what I hear) announced that they have the rights. So, fansubs go byebye.

If you're going for Kenshin TV, get the first disc or two to set up the characters, then skip the rest and just buy the Shishio arc (I'm not a huge Kenshin fan, but even I found the Shishio arc somewhat amusing).

And, I'm a shoujo fan (I'm also a girl--Next person to call me a 'he' gets poked). Dying in anticipation of the upcoming MKR2 box set, and can't wait for Bandai to release Fancy Lala.

PhoenixFlame
04-08-01, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Jlbkwrm

<Font face=Arial Size=-1>If you're going for Kenshin TV, get the first disc or two to set up the characters, then skip the rest and just buy the Shishio arc (I'm not a huge Kenshin fan, but even I found the Shishio arc somewhat amusing).

And, I'm a shoujo fan (I'm also a girl--Next person to call me a 'he' gets poked). Dying in anticipation of the upcoming MKR2 box set, and can't wait for Bandai to release Fancy Lala.

I'm not familiar with the Shishio arc - which DVD does it start from?

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of MKR2 as well ^.^ I wasn't altogether too thrilled with the first season, but in the second, CLAMP's notorious art style is said to be more evident. The characters themselves mature (ah, I get really annoyed at whiny, goody-goody female characters sometimes *ahem* ...Miaka... >_< ) and of course we get to see the pretty Lantis and Eagle.</FONT> ;)

raithen
04-08-01, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by tofubomb
hi, can any of you guys recommend a fansub place that has a good copy of love hina? thanks.

Since Love Hina has just been licensed (by Bandai), you may be hard-pressed to find fansubs of this series.

I'm all for fansubs of shows that haven't been licensed, but as soon as an anime has been picked up for distribution domestically, I'm not too keen on them. Unless of course you pick up the first tape so that you can try before you buy the official release.

Cheers,

-matt

Trigger
04-10-01, 01:40 AM
bumping for those who don't know how to search.

Trigger
04-10-01, 07:25 AM
I started watching the Outlaw Star dvd set I got the other day... I had seen bits of episodes on comedy central. This is a series that gets thrown around when someone asks for something like Cowboy Bebop... this isn't anything like Cowboy Bebop (so far - only into episode 4)... this seems to me to be "The Adventures of Han Solo before he meets Luke: The Bizarro World version" I don't know if that makes any sense, but the lead character is shaping up to be similar to Han Solo from Star Wars - kinda cocky, but vulnerable deep down. The show seems alot more action-oriented than Cowboy Bebop (not that I'm comparing the two as they are vastly different). It's a decent show, but not going to end up as a favorite of mine (as far as I can see) - still, I'm enjoying it just the same. The question I have is - I didn't go back and check, but did the animation change after episode 2? It seems like the first 2 episodes were more OVA quality and then the third episode seemed to look like it belonged on TV. Just my imagination?

lazy bob
04-10-01, 08:52 AM
Does anybody know if Marmalade Boy will ever be available comerically in the U.S.?

Trigger
04-10-01, 09:15 AM
I don't know bob, but does anybody want to tell me what they think of "Bastard!!"? It's coming in a regular and an ultimate edition - anyone know the difference (besides $10 bucks)?

Ghym
04-10-01, 11:39 AM
Trigger - The animation quality on Outlaw Star varies throughout the series. There are some epsiodes that look really nice, but there are some that look a little rough. I just got the last volume a few weeks ago and I think overall that it was a good series. I do agree that it's nothing like Bebop. The only thing similar is that they are in space. This series was a surprise for me. I bought it because of the price per epsiode and didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised and think it's a good series for the price. The ending is a little odd, but other than that it was good.

ellone
04-10-01, 12:46 PM
I don't know bob, but does anybody want to tell me what they think of "Bastard!!"? It's coming in a regular and an ultimate edition - anyone know the difference (besides $10 bucks)?

A figure is included in the ultimate edition. That's the only difference.

tofu
04-10-01, 03:12 PM
so is there an estimate for when bandai's gonna have love hina released?

and has anyone heard news of macross 7 being released in the US either?

Thanks

BT
04-10-01, 03:36 PM
^ To the Top! ^

Ghym
04-10-01, 05:47 PM
The last I heard on Macross 7 was that it was really, really expensive to license. I think somebody tried to license it a while back but it didn't work out. I don't remember details. I haven't heard anything about it recently though.

lazy bob
04-10-01, 05:52 PM

Bastard is a really good anime....not your typical pioneer anime...it's sword and sorcery with comedy...

The Eigeman
04-10-01, 06:31 PM
Re: Outlaw Star

Outlaw Star in the first 4 episodes really doesn't do much to excite the casual anime fan (and I use "casual" lightly). However, if you keep on watching, it has a deeper storyline which picks up around episode 7, 8 or 9 (I forget which one of these does it) and from there, it becomes much more exciting and fun to watch. As for the animation, there are probably 2-4 studios doing this series, so the animation quality differs depending on which studio does it. For an animation TV series to meet its deadline for airing, the major studio has to license out to minor studios to do most of the brunt work and then get it cleaned up to send to the ADR for voice actor dubbing.

Re: Bastard and Bastard LE

You only get a figure of the main character with the DVD in the LE boxset. That's it. Nothing new or special.

Re: Love Hina

Don't expect Love Hina to come out this year by Bandai. Although don't expect this to be rumor. This is purely logical from the standpoint of what they are going to release...Love Hina will take its time to finish up, get dubbed and subbed, DVD replicated (no VHS), and distributed to retail store. I think, expect a Q1 2002 release of this series (if Bandai doesn't delay this title like they did with Crest of the Stars (housei no monshou)).

Re: Macross 7

No domestic license yet, however I have a feeling it will be announced sometime soon (probably at a major convention someplace)...now the better bet is, which studio grabbed/will grab the rights? (chuckle)

Trigger
04-11-01, 07:17 AM
Eig - thanks for the word on Bastard and Outlaw Star...

I rented a Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 VHS tonight and it was so ultra boring. I've seen some of this before and was bored then and forgot I had seen it. My video store only had tape 4 and tape 10... I rented 10 which was ep. 21 and 22. They don't even know how their bodies can communicate with the suits yet by episode 21?? Geez... it seems like more filler than action or story. Ep. 22 was so drawn out it almost put me to sleep. I think I'll pass on this series. Even if it does have better moments than this, I don't think it's ever going to be what I'm looking for. The intro (which is also used as the trailer) looks so exciting and interesting and fresh, but the little bit I've seen is so not. I'm sure it's much better if you see the whole series and you can follow the arc of the whole story, but even so I still don't think it will be all that great.

TheV
04-11-01, 04:19 PM
ANIME RULE #1 : Skipping around in a series like Bubblegum Crisis can make the series confusing if not boring. There is a arc to the storyline that is completely ruined if you watch episodes out of order. It's like watching a film all jumbled in editing. How could that make sense?

ANIME RULE #2 : When in doubt watch the subtitled version. So many dubs are just horrible and actually change the storyline a bit that make a great anime into junk. It's sometimes easier to watch while on the couch, but if you really want to know why everyone is raving about a series watch the subtitled version.

Ok...so does anyone have the new animeondvd.com address?

PhoenixFlame
04-11-01, 04:34 PM
To my knowledge, their new address is not up yet. Last I saw, all their links were disfunctional, and they had temporarily relocated the pages to one of those http server type URLS ... with the triplet sequences of numbers. Hope they'll be back up soon ^.^ Meanwhile, I guess I'll just check anipike for series reviews ^^;;

By the way ... what's the word on the Black Heaven series?

Ghym
04-11-01, 05:07 PM
I have the address AnimeOnDVD is using now bookmarked on my computer at home. I'll post the link later when I get home.

As for Black Heaven, it's a good series. It's only four DVDs and the first three are already released. It's about a 30-something salary man who used to be in a band when he was young. Aliens need him to play his guitar to power their ultimate weapon. It's a pretty funny series. It's got a nice soundtrack with lots of 80's metal type music. If you like other AIC series like Dual, Tenchi, and El-Hazard then you might like this series.

The Eigeman
04-11-01, 06:28 PM
Trigger,

Bubblegum Crisis 2040 is based on the older OVA series of the same name minus "2040". This series is actually more more serious in tone than the OVA series, which was lighter, and more action packed and more 80's beat music in the background. BGC 2040 takes the OVA story arc and presents the story from the perspective of Linna, and not Priss, who was the main character in the OVA. The hardsuits of the new series is less durable and more destructable than the OVA version of the hardsuits. The hardsuits from the series has a limited battery capacity and does less damage. So, there are weaknesses in this series than there was in the OVA, where the girls were a little too strong for the most part. BGC 2040 also expands a lot of the little dangling plots in the original OVAs that were never covered in Bubblegum Crash (the second OVA series following the original BGC OVA). I highly recommend watching the original OVA series first. Get the reprinted DVDs (not the first two prints that are just horrendous) with the corrected subtitling (don't watch the dub because any dub from AnimEigo's company is just horrible). After the OVA series, watch the TV series which came out 10 years later (with new character designer and mecha designer). It'll make much more sense then.

TheV
04-11-01, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixFlame
To my knowledge, their new address is not up yet. Last I saw, all their links were disfunctional,

It's up. It's just moved and now at a ip address til the name resolution is changed. You cannot just type http://www.animeondvd.com yet.

30 mins later...

Oh...they just got the names resolution back. It works again via http! Oh well...thanks for the effort.

Shawn

Trigger
04-12-01, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by PhoenixFlame
By the way ... what's the word on the Black Heaven series?

I really enjoyed Black Heaven... It took until the beginning of disc 2 for me to warm up to it, but if you give it a chance it will really grow on you. It's really fun and I recommend.

Eig - I watched the whole Bubblegum Crisis OVA series a long time ago, but it was easily forgotton. I know I remember the old BGC being alot better than what I watched the other night. I am fully aware that the series has an arc that you have to follow by watching every episode in sequence etc etc... but you can tell with almost every series by watching a few episodes whether or not it could be something you could be interested in. I'm sure if I watched the whole series, I would find something in it to enjoy - but from the 4 episodes I've seen, it's not my type of show. I'll pass. Thanks for the descriptions though.

ScotchTape
04-12-01, 04:27 AM
Someone please give me some advice on which anime I should get. I am not too familiar with ones available in US, so I need help what to get in US. I grew up in Asia when I was little, so I was totally into guyver, Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, UFO Robot Grendizer, Kotetsu Jeeg, macross and etc. And also, loved gundam series, although I only watched original gundam, gundam wing, and gundam 0080. I am not a big fan of movies like ghost in the shell or Akira. So, what can you guys recommend to me, it doesnt have to be DVD, I can live with VHS or even VCDs.

Trigger
04-12-01, 04:48 AM
based upon the kind of stuff you were into, I'd say you might like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Escaflowne, Gasaraki, Dual, and Martian Successor Nadesico. But I am not the expert here... someone else will certainly step up with their advice.

mikdog
04-12-01, 01:02 PM
Bear with me if I repeat some stuff. I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but here are some thoughts.

I have to second the recommendation on http://www.animeondvd.com They have the best reviews and info on released and upcoming "anime on dvd."

If you're interested in Akira, Dark Horse Comics is releasing the whole comic series in four (I think, maybe three) quarterly volumes. Only 1 and 2 are out, but they are excellent.

My favorite animes are Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam Wing, and Evangelion. One series I enjoy that I don't think has been mentioned is Sakura Diaries. It's kind of a teaser skin flick, but the story is great.

Anime movies - I loved Mononoke, enjoyed Castle of Cogliostro, UY- Beautiful Dreamer, and Venus Wars. I also own Grave of the Fireflies, but I haven't got around to watching it yet.

Things I want to watch are Gasaraki, Cowboy Bebop (Ive seen the first two tapes), and Macross 2 and Plus.

I didn't really like Fushugi Yugi, the characters were a little too feminine for me. I'm also not a big Dragonball fan, I don't know why.

Of course all this pertains to only DVDs. There are way more recommendations or thumbs downs I can give regarding VHS series.

Trigger
04-15-01, 02:50 AM
Well I sold the second dvd of Nadesico on Half.com and before shipping it, I watched it again and actually liked it - so I'm re-buying it as well as disc 3 and 4 and will get 5 and 6 when they become available at bestprices.com. Anyhow - just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone had anything to say about anime.

Someone post a coming soon list of stuff that's not already listed at animeondvd.com

Crazy Aoshi
04-15-01, 04:54 AM
I remember seeing nadesico back in 97 or 98 back on fansub and I really liked it, it was one of my favorites. It's too bad adv decided to ignore the fans and use overlays all over the place, otherwise I would have purchased it. I hate boycotting series I like. But if you don't mind overlays, then go ahead and get it, it's still decent. I am buying sorcerer hunters, but I found one overlay so far besides the title, but I know since adv doesn't care what I think, I won't bother to tell them again. I'm mainly buying it cause 4 dvds take up a lot less space than 8 vhs tapes. It's too bad they go back on what they say. But the point of this thread is not to bash adv, so I'll stop.

Now jubei-chan, that's how it should be done.

Crazy Aoshi
04-15-01, 04:57 AM
Oh, by the way, I forgot to say I'm slowly translating the excel saga manga. I know it's manga, not anime, but it's to tide me over until I can afford region 2 discs cause adv has the american rights. But if anyone cares to read the manga, I can put translations (very slowly) on my web site. But chances are, no one cares.

Trigger
04-15-01, 05:12 AM
I'm actually pretty fond of ADV... I assume the overlays you're talking about is when they show some japanese characters and they overlay text to indicate what the characters say in english, right? At first I wasn't really into that, but it doesn't really bother me now - I can't read those characters and it's nice to know what they say. I also don't mind that they put them up in the middle of the picture. Call me crazy... I wish they would do that for some HK films... in period HK movies, there's signs everywhere and it would be really nice to be able to know what they say. Occasionally they translate one or two and put the translation in quotes in the subtitles area. It's very inconsistent. I just think that ADV does really nice transfers and have quality anime, but I can totally understand why you don't like the overlays (assuming we're talking about the same thing) as it can be seen as defacing a work of art. Jubei Chan rules btw.

Jlbkwrm
04-15-01, 06:40 AM
More Fun With Terms:

Overlays in anime: When an occurence of Japanese text is obscured, and replaced with English text. IE, a computer screen has Japanese kana on it. The translating company slaps a white rectangle containing the English translation of the Japanese text on it. You can no longer see the Japanese text. Has been called 'dubbing text', on occasion. (Most Glaring Examples: Evangelion, Nadesico)

Hard Subs: Subtitles actually on the video stream itself (not dvdsubs). Usually used, instead of overlays, to translate signs and such. Like regular subtitles, but usually located near the text being translated.

Soft Subs/DVDSubs: Signs are subtitled in the DVD subtitle stream, usually as a seperate line from spoken word, no changes made to the actual video itself (Example: Jubei-chan).

I hate overlays. They bug me. If not done correctly, they look tacky and are distracting as all get out.

That said, ADV is *not* the only company to do overlays. Outlaw Star, from Bandai, has overlays in every volume. ADV gets more guff for it for three reasons:

1.) A whole lot of their overlays are just plain tacky. The Nadesico ones look like something done on MS Paint. Welldone overlays won't detract from viewing a show. Poorly done ones are just horrific.

2.) They did it to fan-favorite titles. These are shows that have been seen by large numbers of fans. People are used to seeing the Japanese text, and English will be jarringly different. (And, in the case of the Eva DVDs, fans had years of overlay-free Eva from ADV. The addition of overlays was much of a shock)

3.) They used overlays as an editing-for-TV tool. In one episode of Lost Universe, a girl wakes up to find the five-letter B word written on her forhead--in English. The dub producer decided that didn't fit the flow of the show, so the English word was overlaid with "LOSER".

ADV isn't exactly an innocent victim, here. They catch more than their fair share of ire, but it's largely due to past problems. They are improving, though, and they've promised no overlays (outside of, of course, changing the title screen) in the future.

(Personally, I'd like to see a company try using DVD subs as overlays. Someone worked out a color combo that would allow studios to make boxes with text in DVD subs. Then, purists could turn the things off, and all would be in much happiness)

lazy bob
04-15-01, 09:55 AM
Just got Trigun 2 & 3...and saw that there is only 3 eps on each disc..WTF!!! Is the rest of the series only gonna be 3 eps per disc?

Crazy Aoshi
04-15-01, 03:18 PM
I personally see no excuse why overlays should still be used when bandai showed us how easy it is to make everyone happy with jubei-chan. If a show has overlays, I tend to boycott it for that aspect alone (though one person probably doesn't make any difference.) Hopefully the sorcerer hunters overlay will be just the one (though that's not really right cause adv promised they wouldn't do anymore.) So if anyone else doesn't like overlays, adv doesn't care what you say, so be like me and buy the region 2 versions. I have region 2 versions of slayers movies, evangelion tv and kenshin oavs and movies, and what a coincidence, adv owns all of them. That's because I don't want to totally pass on shows I like. hopefully, they'll keep their primise and keep the overlays out of excel saga, especially since the region 2 discs are the most expensive tv series I've ever seen.

Anyway, trigun has 8 discs, firt and last volume have 4 episodes each, the rest have three. and at one disc every 2 months or more and for $30 each, I can clearly see why it doesn't sell too well. i really like the show and have all the volumes so far, but pioneer is really doing a double whammy by making them bimonthly and only 3 episodes, right after doing battle athletes which was the same thing except usually monthly. Anyway, I prefer that 1 billion times more than overlays. ADV, I'd wait a year or more between discs if you didn't do overlays with no complaining. It would save you time and probably some money if you didn't use overlays and make the fans upset by doing something you know you can get around with dvd subs and make everybody happy. Oh wait, I'm making my voice heard as a consumer, that's no good. The customer is always wrong. I'll shut up now. Overlays are the worst thing that can be done to a series (besides cutting out footage.)

iconoclast dsp
04-15-01, 03:29 PM
Has anyone seen Urotsokudiju, The Overfiend... I think its called. Someone recommended it to me as it being strange. OThers tell me its complete trash and even more tell me its their favorite. I saw the complete collection on a 2disc set for 40 dollars. Anyone know if the movie and/or disc quality is good?

PhoenixFlame
04-15-01, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by iconoclast dsp
Has anyone seen Urotsokudiju, The Overfiend... I think its called. Someone recommended it to me as it being strange. Others tell me its complete trash and even more tell me its their favorite. I saw the complete collection on a 2disc set for 40 dollars. Anyone know if the movie and/or disc quality is good?

Urotsukidoji ... I'm not sure on the story line itself, but I do know that it's hentai ^_^; A fairly crude translation for that would be - anime porn (actually, it can be used in a number of other ways as well, ie to mean "pervert").

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
Oh, by the way, I forgot to say I'm slowly translating the excel saga manga. I know it's manga, not anime, but it's to tide me over until I can afford region 2 discs cause adv has the american rights. But if anyone cares to read the manga, I can put translations (very slowly) on my web site. But chances are, no one cares.

I care! I'm gonna go take a look right now :)

... Hmm, well I can't seem to find it, although your list of fansubs seems interesting enough ^^;

[Edited by PhoenixFlame on 04-15-01 at 01:48 PM]

Crazy Aoshi
04-15-01, 06:12 PM
I've only done the first 17 pages or so of book 1. as soon as I finish up to about page 33 (the first story) I'll put it up. Thanks for the interest. I figured as long as I'm translating it for myself, I might as well write it down for anyone else who wants to read.

Jlbkwrm
04-15-01, 11:43 PM
ADV, I'd wait a year or more between discs if you didn't do overlays with no complaining. It would save you time and probably some money if you didn't use overlays and make the fans upset by doing something you know you can get around with dvd subs and make everybody happy. Oh wait, I'm making my voice heard as a consumer, that's no good. The customer is always wrong. I'll shut up now. Overlays are the worst thing that can be done to a series (besides cutting out footage.)

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

ADV is not, NOT, /NOT/ the only company that does overlays.

Bandai, while responsible for well-done titles like Jubei-chan, used overlays. The series Outlaw Star is a good example. Pretty much the entire series has overlays, but it wasn't until the third DVD set where anyone caught on (Because of some pretty poorly done ones). Other companies do it too.

ADV's no-overlays promise supposedly took effect the day they announced. So, no titles that entered production after that point will have overlays. Backcatalogue titles, like Sorceror Hunters, Blue Seed, and Nadesico will have overlays on the DVDs, since the overlayed masters already exist. Following this logic, Excel Saga should be overlay-free.

ADV does a lot of stuff that bugs me. But they are *not* the only company to use overlays, and it's important people realize this.

Trigger
04-16-01, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by iconoclast dsp
Has anyone seen Urotsokudiju, The Overfiend... I think its called. Someone recommended it to me as it being strange. OThers tell me its complete trash and even more tell me its their favorite. I saw the complete collection on a 2disc set for 40 dollars. Anyone know if the movie and/or disc quality is good?

the Urotsukidoji Perfect Collection is the one to get - it's hentai, but also has a decent story and is interesting to watch. The sex scenes aren't meant to be sexy so much as outrageous - worth watching for sure. (unless you can't stomach hentai). I got the 2 subsequent and more recent urotsukidoji discs and they aren't as good.

Crazy Aoshi
04-16-01, 04:33 AM
I know other companies use overlays, but I was talking about ADV's overlays. I'm particularly mad at them because they did overlays after they claim they won't and they are very clear they don't care what their consumers think of their product.

Anyway, the main purpose of this message is to say that the translation of Excel Saga manga book 1 mission 1 is done and on my web site. I will remove it if the original rights holders ask. Anyway, you can find it at http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/subway/3555 Thanks.

Jlbkwrm
04-16-01, 05:33 AM
I know other companies use overlays, but I was talking about ADV's overlays. I'm particularly mad at them because they did overlays after they claim they won't and they are very clear they don't care what their consumers think of their product.

Really? When did they use overlays after their policy switch? Discs that were in production at that time don't count; ADV said they wouldn't remaster the discs in process, and /everyone/'s known about Nadesico for quite a while (Part of the problem being, people didn't really complain about the Nadesico overlays during the initial VHS release, so all of ADVs current masters are plastered with them). They've always said they'll keep changing the logo screens, which stinks, but they've been open about it.

ADV is of two minds reguarding their consumers. Half the company seems to be made of fans, the other half of people who just want the money. Part of the improvement has been a marked increase in changes ADV's been willing to make after fan complaints. Including:

The Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X reversible DVD cover. The marketing department got to use the stupid name, but no Kenshin fan is forced to have the evil Sam X staring at them from their shelving unit (The Kenshin movie doesn't have this--A fault of the manufacturers, not ADV. They forgot to press the Kenshin side, or something).

The Sakura Diaries issue. The TV version was released. Somebody at ADV didn't do their homework, and so the version currently available on DVD is the silly version with painted-on bras.

The Sorceror Hunters DVD Cover Issue. The original design for volume one sucked. Badly. The fans made their voices known, and ADV has promised to change it in all future pressings. There's supposedly a plan to offer trade-ins for those with the original cover, at some point in the future.

My problems with ADV are not customer-service related. They still use rediculous subtitle fonts (too widely spaced! too widely spaced!), and their dubs are mostly terrible (Kenshin OAV anyone?), but recent issues are showing vast improvement in that area. ADV used to be my absolute least-favorite anime company; now, Viz holds that esteemed spot (They're killing Maison Ikkoku! On purpose! That's evil).

PhoenixFlame
04-16-01, 04:49 PM
Up up and away.

*Click* Excel manga translations are saved and archived ;)

The Eigeman
04-16-01, 06:57 PM
Speaking of overlay-o-rama, now that ADVFilms also owns Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (His and Her Circumstances) or (Situations between Boyfriends and Girlfriends). There are many Japanese texts in this series, there is no way to translate all the background and dialogue at the same time for english readers unless they do overlays. I am afraid that is what is going to happen to KareKano (the short version name of the longer name, used both in Japan and in USA by fans). Luckily, I am slowly buying the R2 DVDs because I know that ADV will ruin this great shoujo series.

I agree with whomever, that overlays and hard subs have gotta go on DVD. They are completely annoying for DVD. They may be okay for video release, but not for DVD. Hasn't anyone in the anime community heard of a term called "seamless branching"??? Why not use that like Disney did with Princess Mononoke's intro?

As for 3 episodes per DVD, that's pretty normal and pretty efficient for serial episodes on DVD. It's almost the same as in Japan except there are 9 volumes in Japan, unlike here which there are 8.

Jlbkwrm
04-16-01, 08:26 PM
Speaking of overlay-o-rama, now that ADVFilms also owns Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou

ADV doesn't own the KareKano rights.

KareKano was picked up by The Right Stuf International (The people who did Tylor, and recently bought the rights to Boogiepop Phantom), and last I'd heard, they were still working on figuring out the right release format for the series.

Unless Right Stuf sold the KareKano rights to ADV (which is highly unlikely, since Right Stuf's web poll still has it listed as one of their own), ADV has nada to do with KareKano.

There have been distant rumblings that Right Stuf is going to overlay KareKano (At one point, people were reporting a frame-by-frame alteration), but nothing concrete yet.

The Eigeman
04-17-01, 03:33 AM
Ah, you're right, it is TRSI, not ADV Films (my bad...these companies sometimes confuse me). But I was told it was not going to be altered, but I have my doubts.

KareKano is one that does need overlays if people are to understand it else it will be a lot of pausing and reading, else not translate the background

Crazy Aoshi
04-17-01, 04:39 AM
Soft subs or alternate angles or I won't buy it, enough said. I didn't like the series that much that I'd put up with overlays. Hard subs for all the text (much of which is unimportant and/or exactly the same as what is being voiced) would ruin it. just my opinion

tofu
04-17-01, 11:33 AM
hi all, i just recently saw zeiram II on Amazon. Does anyone know if this is a sequeal or just a rerelease of zeiram? if it is a sequel, is it any good? thanks

The Eigeman
04-17-01, 01:06 PM
The first series of KareKano is albeit done, but only goes up to Manga Vol. #5 and the storyline is not finished yet. My feeling is that there will be a 2nd series, maybe not TV, but more along the lines of an OVA series and then maybe a movie to conclude the series all together. If Anno is going to still be directing the series, don't expect the new series anytime soon.

I choose seamless branching...so subbed people get softsubs, and dubbed gets overlays and/or hard subs.

Jlbkwrm
04-17-01, 05:19 PM
Biggest problem with seamless branching is, of course, the large number of players that can't make it seamless. Companies have been asked questions about this in the past, and the reigning sentiment is that a large number of current DVD players don't handle seamless branching well.

It's a cool technology, but until the cheap-o DVD players can handle it really, really well, there's not much chance of it showing up in the average anime DVD release.

I like softsubs! They can be custom-colored to stand out, and certain fonts are /very/ easy to read. But I can deal with hardsubs (since buying only softsubbed titles would limit me to, like, less than a quarter of what I currently enjoy).

Of course, there's stuff like the Lain discs, where Pioneer Hardsubbed the master, forgot they did, and so put DVDsubs over it. That's just plain irritating.

Trigger
04-18-01, 04:15 AM
hi all, i just recently saw zeiram II on Amazon. Does anyone know if this is a sequeal or just a rerelease of zeiram? if it is a sequel, is it any good? thanks

Yeah - I've been wondering this as well... Zeriam II - does it have to do with Iria Zeriam stuff and is it good? Anybody actually seen this?

lazy bob
04-18-01, 04:31 AM

Yeah - I've been wondering this as well... Zeriam II - does it have to do with Iria Zeriam stuff and is it good? Anybody actually seen this?

Hey...maybe this is the live action one that i was looking for...

[Edited by lazy bob on 04-18-01 at 01:37 AM]

Trigger
04-18-01, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by lazy bob

Hey...maybe this is the live action one that i was looking for...

congrats on 100 posts. :D

lazy bob
04-18-01, 04:37 AM
Awesome!!! This is the live action zeriam that i was looking for. Who would of thought i would find it in an anime thread. :) Another must have!!! Coming out in june :( oh well...plenty of movies to order before then :)

Crazy Aoshi
04-18-01, 06:11 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if it's like the dvd for the first zeram movie, it will be dubbed only. And poorly in my opinion. Then again, I think all dubbing is bad, anime or live action.

Trigger
04-18-01, 06:39 PM
Awesome!!! This is the live action zeriam that i was looking for. Who would of thought i would find it in an anime thread. :) Another must have!!! Coming out in june :( oh well...plenty of movies to order before then :)

So what is this then? Does it belong in the HK DVDs thread? Now I'm curious.

tofu
04-18-01, 07:28 PM

So what is this then? Does it belong in the HK DVDs thread? Now I'm curious. [/B]

its a japanese dvd right?

so i just picked up some episodes of love hina but now someone has recommended another series called furi kuri. now i haven't seen any of it. but all i've heard about it is that its from gainax (who did evangelion) and that its really, really, really, really, really weird. any opinions?

btw, just my little 2 cents, but there is way too much good anime coming out for me to keep track of.

The Eigeman
04-18-01, 08:03 PM
Yes, FLCL (pronounced as Furi-Kuri by the Japanese), is a 6 episodes OVA, from Gainax, and it is pretty weird. Character designs are by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, who also character designed Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (aka Nadia, Secret of Blue Water, and translated as Nadia of the Mysterious Seas), and also for Neon Genesis Evangelion. FLCL is hilarious, and is coming to R1 DVD this year (most likely last half of the year). Yes, it is also weird, but enlightening. The R2 DVDs, one episode per DVD, episode 2-6 have English subs on them, the first one doesn't.

Great series. Worth purchasing.

immortal_zeus
04-18-01, 11:00 PM
Anybody have the <b>Star Blazers</b> DVDs or watched them (on DVD)? I was a huge fan when I was a kid and am wondering whether or not they're worth getting. I read some reviews on Amazon, but there were a lot of mixed feelings. Most people seem to think the video quality wasn't that good. I would probably buy the DVDs as long as the video quality is tolerable (but not total crap)...after all, it <i>is</i> an old series.

Thanks!

lazy bob
04-19-01, 12:54 AM

It's a live action japanese flick so it would belong in the HK thread...but i wouldn't bother....seems like i'm only one that would actually buy this flick :)

Trigger
04-19-01, 03:00 AM

It's a live action japanese flick so it would belong in the HK thread...but i wouldn't bother....seems like i'm only one that would actually buy this flick :)

I guess what I should have asked is if it's a live action version of Iria Zeriam - like Wicked City stuff or if it's something completely different

lazy bob
04-19-01, 03:06 AM

I guess what I should have asked is if it's a live action version of Iria Zeriam - like Wicked City stuff or if it's something completely different

The live action came first..then the anime...so it's more like they took the characters from the live action movie and turn it into an anime...kind of like what they did with giant robo...but i could be wrong...it's been a while since i seen either one of them...

lazy bob
04-19-01, 03:09 AM
That reminds me...is Giant Robo on dvd?

Jlbkwrm
04-19-01, 05:05 AM
That reminds me...is Giant Robo on dvd?

In R2, the show was released in a limited-edition box set (CDJapan is sold out, so I'm guessing finding copies of this might be difficult).

In R1, not yet, but soon. Apparently, Manga plans to release GR on 2 DVDs. Each will retail at $29.99, and has a planned street date of 10/30.

Of course, this /is/ Manga, and they're not so great with the on-time deal. A tentative date is good, but a delay would not be surprising.

Trigger
04-19-01, 05:44 AM
So I watched the third installment of the Dual DVDs... the story takes a turn... I don't want to give anything away if you haven't seen it yet, but the show is getting even more interesting. I think this show is pretty goofy and perhaps geared towards teens more, but it's still entertaining to me somehow. The disc is just as nice as the first 2 and the story is only getting better. If you haven't picked these up yet, you might think about it. If the first disc doesn't hook you, you won't get hooked. Disc 2 is where things start to pick up, but the first disc gives you a pretty good idea what type of show this is. Disc 3 starts out with a twist and just like disc 2 ended on a cliffhanger - disc 3 ends on an even bigger one. Nicely done.

I also watched Tenchi for the first time tonight... the Tenchi Movie Tenchi Muyo In Love... I didn't get it at first and I guess I was supposed to have some sort of backstory, but I don't have the time or money to devote to such a large series just right now... Anyway - I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. The movie was pretty decent. The sound was great 5.1 surround and the picture was pretty nice too. The menu system was well laid out as well. I liked this disc overall, but perhaps not enough to dive into the whole Tenchi thing just yet. I also have the 3 disc collection that I have yet to watch.

lazy bob
04-19-01, 07:01 AM

I also watched Tenchi for the first time tonight... the Tenchi Movie Tenchi Muyo In Love... I didn't get it at first and I guess I was supposed to have some sort of backstory, but I don't have the time or money to devote to such a large series just right now... Anyway - I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. The movie was pretty decent. The sound was great 5.1 surround and the picture was pretty nice too. The menu system was well laid out as well. I liked this disc overall, but perhaps not enough to dive into the whole Tenchi thing just yet. I also have the 3 disc collection that I have yet to watch.

All you need to get are the OVAs (and maybe the Mihoshi special) and you will understand Tenchi Muyo...you don't need to bother with the t.v. eps...the t.v. eps are are crappy anyways..IMO....

Trigger
04-19-01, 07:26 AM
All you need to get are the OVAs (and maybe the Mihoshi special) and you will understand Tenchi Muyo...you don't need to bother with the t.v. eps...the t.v. eps are are crappy anyways..IMO....

Well I think that's what I have, isn't it? That Tenchi Ultimate thing that's 2 or 3 discs in strange packaging... I'm too lazy to go in the other room and look. :)

The Eigeman
04-19-01, 04:46 PM
Just watch the original OVA series of Tenchi Muyou (which is a Japanese pun in the title itself, btw, for those of you who are Japanese unproficient). Then watch the movie, again, and it will make a whole slew of sense. :)

The new OVA coming out will continue the first OVA series *YAY!!*, so I am definitely gonna get that one.

Ghym
04-19-01, 05:11 PM
Yea Trigger, that 3 disc boxset you have is the OAVs. The first two are the OAVs and the third has the Tenchi Encyclopia and some extras. I like the OAVs the most. I've seen the OAVs, the three movies, and Tenchi Universe TV series. I'd say the boxset you've got is the best. The movies and TV series are optional. The boxset is the only must buy, IMO. Watch that and you should understand any of the other series and movies.

tofu
04-19-01, 05:17 PM
just a quick survey:

how many of you are going to get the new kishin heidan perfect collection coming out next week? i think its called Alien Geo Armor at some places.

btw, does anyone who made this particular anime?

Ghym
04-19-01, 05:25 PM
immortal_zeus, I've got the first 3 Starblazers discs. The video quality is tolerable for me. None of them are outstanding, but it's an old series and it doesn't really bother me. The sound is also in mono, but that's the way it was originally. The first disc is as bare-bones as you can get. It has no extras and the menu is a gray screen that consists of "Play" and "chapters", and the chapter stops are in odd places. Also, the first disc plays like a movie. All the episodes run together with no OP/ED in between the episodes. The other discs are better, with better menus and a few extras. The discs seem to be getting slightly better with each one. The chapter stops are more logical and the video seems better on the latest one I bought. If you are a fan of the series then they are worth getting, IMO.

immortal_zeus
04-19-01, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info...any recommendations on a good place to get them?

Pants
04-19-01, 07:25 PM
When: Friday, April 27, 2001 12:00am (Midnight)
Where: Laemmle Sunset 5, Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles
What: Akira

Thats right! The all digitally remastered anime classic Akira is making its debut at the Los Angeles Film Festival! I'll be there.

Ghym
04-20-01, 01:42 AM
Immortal_zeus - I bought one from http://www.starblazers.com. I just checked, and you can get the first three DVDs from their website. When I ordered from them, they didn't give any e-mail confirmations, but it showed up in about a week. They are about $20 each. I have also seen them at some Suncoast stores in the mall. The fourth disc should be out at the end of the month.

If you would like to read a review of the first three discs, there are a few reviews at http://www.animeondvd.com. Here are the direct links to the reviews.

Disc 1
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/region1/q-t/starblazers_series_1_part1-2.htm

Disc 2
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/region1/q-t/starblazers_series_1_part2-1.htm
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/region1/q-t/starblazers_series_1_part2-2.htm

Disc 3
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/region1/q-t/starblazers_series_1_part3-1.htm

I pretty much agree with the reviews. The first disc wasn't done well at all, but they seem to be improving with each release.

[Edited by Ghym on 04-19-01 at 10:47 PM]

dvdnutty
04-20-01, 02:02 AM
just a quick survey:

how many of you are going to get the new kishin heidan perfect collection coming out next week? i think its called Alien Geo Armor at some places.

btw, does anyone who made this particular anime?

Ordered it from Suncoast at the old price of 17.49 on preorder, now its a double disc set at 39.99 list, I believe.

Not sure as to who made it, the storyline is silly, but the action is good.

tofu
04-20-01, 04:45 PM
so i noticed today that buy.com has a lot of anime dvds for a little more than 30% off. aside from the $2.25/disc shipping, this doesn't sound too bad to me. so i was thinking of picking some stuff up but i wanted to get some opinions first. so here's what i was thinking of getting:

sakura diaries (i've heard its really funny)
gasaraki (i've read all the previous stuff in this thread and so you probably don't need to give me opinions on this unless you want to plug it again.)
castle of cagliostro
generator gawl
slayers

btw, i heard that there were problems with the first evangelion disc. were any of these fixed yet?

thanx

Ghym
04-20-01, 06:15 PM
Tofubomb, of the stuff you listed I've seen Gasaraki and Castle of Cagliostro. I like both of them a lot. I'll skip to Cagliostro since you already know about Gasaraki. I think Cagliostro is a great movie. It's a good adventure/comedy. It's about 20 years old, but the video quality is really good. The animeation is old school, so if you don't like stuff from the 70's and early 80's then it might not be your thing. The plot isn't complex, but it's fun to watch and the characters are great. There aren't any extras to speak of. It's pretty bare=bones, unless you consider trailers an extra. I'd definately say pick it up if you want something fun or if you are a Miyazaki fan.

As for Eva, the quality of the first disc was questionable. I rented it and thought the video quality was really sub-par. They have said they may redo it, but not until the entire series is out(which should be in June). They switched authoring houses after the first disc and the rest of the series looks better. I'm hoping they go back and fix the first one so I can own the complete series.

[Edited by Ghym on 04-20-01 at 03:17 PM]

Trigger
04-20-01, 07:57 PM
so i noticed today that buy.com has a lot of anime dvds for a little more than 30% off. aside from the $2.25/disc shipping, this doesn't sound too bad to me. so i was thinking of picking some stuff up but i wanted to get some opinions first. so here's what i was thinking of getting:

sakura diaries (i've heard its really funny)
gasaraki (i've read all the previous stuff in this thread and so you probably don't need to give me opinions on this unless you want to plug it again.)
castle of cagliostro
generator gawl
slayers

btw, i heard that there were problems with the first evangelion disc. were any of these fixed yet?

thanx

before going with buy.com, try http://www.reellove.com - everything they sell is 31% off and their shipping is more reasonable. Also try http://www.bestprices.com - some anime there is 44% off, but there are complaints as to how long it takes to get to you. Otherwise, that's the way to go. Reellove.com uses the same shipping warehouses that buy.com uses.

tofu
04-22-01, 07:30 AM
bump

Ghym
04-24-01, 08:06 PM
Well, looks like we lost a few posts. I was enjoying the Gasaraki and Patlabor discussion. Anyway, somebody asked about the Patlabor TV DVDs. I think the question was if the OAV episodes would be on the discs? So far, just the TV episodes are being released. Today I went over to http://www.animeondvd.com and guess what I saw? They are listing the street date for the first Patlabor TV DVD as 8/14 with 5 episodes per disc. If it doesn't sell well, we probably won't see any more. CPM is deciding the fate of the TV series DVD release on how well the first disc sells. So don't forget to buy one!! ;)

Trigger
04-25-01, 01:08 AM
Oh crap - you're right - we lost a bunch of posts... dammit. I hated that "new" forum software anyway - this is better... don't change stuff.

Ghym
04-25-01, 09:58 AM
There was an announcement at the top of the boards about the switch back. Apparently their servers couldn't handle the new software.

The Eigeman
04-25-01, 01:13 PM
As I said again, I want money to buy the R2. I saw this series raw when it first came out. Will watch it again raw if I can get my hands on the Japanese R2 DVDs of Patlabor. I want everything. :)

Need more money...must have money... :)

Ghym
04-26-01, 05:36 PM
A rep from Bandai posted some news in the http://www.animeondvd.com forum today. He listed some details about the upcoming Gundam 8th MS Team DVDs. They are going to be the first of their DVD releases to come with alternate DVD covers. He also said the episodes would be uncut. I'm looking forward to seeing this series on DVD. Here's the link to the post he made. http://64.226.255.69/dcforum/DCForumID1/293.html

The Eigeman
04-26-01, 05:59 PM
That is very interesting. This is a great OVA series from what I hear. However, I still find it that you must know the Gundam universe to really appreciate this series, and we are getting more than the Japanese DVDs. Amazing...

I believe this is an off-shoot storyline, rather than an Alternate Universe, meaning the writer for 08th MS Team bought the rights from Toshiyuki Tomino to use the Gundam name and universe. Kinda like 0080 and 0083 are.

I just hope we are not going to be treated like the Japanese LDs of this series, with only one episode per LD (with 12 LDs, that includes the special). That was painful to look at because each LD disk was like $50-60 U.S. So ugh...

Ghym
04-26-01, 09:29 PM
If you want some Gundam series info, I'd suggest this site, http://www.gundamproject.com/. It's got anything you would ever need to know about Gundam. I haven't seen 8th MS Team yet either, but I know it's set during the same time as the original series. The upcoming releases section at http://www.animeondvd.com lists at least 3 DVDs for 8th MS Team. Of course the last one listed comes out in November, so I'm not sure if there is one after that. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere though, that it's 3 or 4 DVDs. Gundam 0080 and 0083 are also scheduled to come out this year. Everything they are releasing this year is set in the original UC(Universal Century) timeline.

Now the only problem is getting them to release the original Mobile Suit Gundam subtitled. As it is now, the Japanese won't give them the Japanese track for the original series. They haven't released it in Japan yet, so they are scared of Japanese importing the US version and not buying the Japanese version when it comes out. So it will be coming out dub-only this year. Ugh.

The Eigeman
04-27-01, 07:28 PM
Sunrise will not give Bandai, U.S., the rights to Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (aka First Gundam, here in the states). I hear never is the "keyword". But then again, who knows? (shrug)

All I do know is that the 25th Anniversary is coming in 2 more years, year 2003, will mark the 25th Anniversary of the Gundam Series. I believe this is when Sunrise will release the original series in three boxsets (my speculation) of the 40-some episodes, for the R2 DVD. Probably after this is out, Bandai, U.S., will finally get the rights to the Japanese track?? (shrug)

So, I figure MS 08th Team is an off-shoot series if it follows the UC timeline. SO it isn't an alternate series. That's good. I will pick this one up because it is always interesting to watch Gundam.

(More ways for Bandai Japan to sell their toys. :) )

immortal_zeus
04-27-01, 08:13 PM
Anyone know if there are any plans to sell Neon Genesis Evangelion in a box set? I realize the series isn't finished yet, but from what I've read here, it sounds like an anime I would like (I like mecha animes). Thanks! :)

Ghym
04-27-01, 08:13 PM
Sunrise will not give Bandai, U.S., the rights to Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (aka First Gundam, here in the states). I hear never is the "keyword". But then again, who knows? (shrug)

That's sorta true, I guess. Bandai, U.S. is releasing Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 to DVD this year, but dub-only. Or is this what you were saying? The first disc comes out sometime in August, I believe. They were trying to get it on CN also. I don't know if they ever finished that deal or not. I think CN is interested in just about anything Gundam. I have the 3 compilation movies that took the original TV series and crammed them into movies, so I have a pretty good grasp of the universe. I'd really like to see the series, but I'm not going to buy a dub-only version. I can wait.

The only thing I own dub-only is Starblazers, but that's kind of a nostalgia thing. The movies are way better. Good old cheesy sci-fi :)

Ghym
04-27-01, 09:43 PM
immortal_zeus - So far there has been no indication of a boxset for NGE. The series should be completely on DVD by June. I won't say there won't be, but ADV hasn't said anything about one. With my luck they'll announce a boxset as soon as I own all the discs. Just like Cowboy Bebop. Damn Bandai. :)

Trigger
04-30-01, 06:14 AM
Anybody know what "Moldiver Perfect Collection DVD" is about? What's this show like? I'm curious. ^_^

The Eigeman
04-30-01, 02:10 PM
Luckily, if ADV Films does do a boxset for NGE, it won't be limited edition like it is in Japan. Japan R2 DVD of NGE are limited edition boxsets. There are 3 boxsets in all that spans the whole 26 episodes plus the two movies. Each boxset is limited to 5000 boxes, so they go rather quickly and they are quite expensive at about 21500Yen (or close to $180 per boxset). But I hear the NGE TV episodes are only the TV eps shown on TV w/o the special re-edited version of episodes 21-24 that compliment the movies. ADV Films also owns the original and not the re-edits. So the only way to watch the re-edits is to buy the original DVDs from Japan (that do not come in the boxset).

---

Trigger,

Moldiver is a parody of the comic-book genre, where you take a normal geeky guy with technological ingenuity to make a super suit which can only be warped onto the body if naked. He battles against the evil scientist and his evil women fiends in battle suits. The geeky guy has a sister who "borrows" his technology by mistake, and she herself first transforms into "Moldiver" (the male version), but after she finds out and has her brother fix it so it will give her a female suit instead of a male's. It's a 6-episode OVA series and it's quite funny, albeit old. Great to laugh and have fun with.

ellone
05-01-01, 10:23 AM
The Moldiver DVD has dubtitles. Which get very annoying because they identify who is speaking. I guess Pioneer didn't want to resub the series for DVD. I wasn't too impressed with the series.

Ghym
05-03-01, 03:08 PM
There is a picture of the Limited Edition Akira Tin. Looks pretty sweet. It's got a second disc full of extras. I'm not the biggest Akira fan, but I'm gonna be ordering this one. The tin is limited to the first 75,000 sets, then it will be in a normal case.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/356.html

Trigger
05-04-01, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Ghym
There is a picture of the Limited Edition Akira Tin. Looks pretty sweet. It's got a second disc full of extras. I'm not the biggest Akira fan, but I'm gonna be ordering this one. The tin is limited to the first 75,000 sets, then it will be in a normal case.

Thanks - I'm totally getting one. It looks like a hinged Tin case - not like the ones from anchor bay that have a lid. It also looks smaller - more like the size of a keep case. I'm still going to get one though. I hope it stands on end.

milkdog
05-04-01, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Ghym

Thanks Ghym. You should start a thread with this post. A lot of people probably miss this news buried in this thread.

PhoenixFlame
05-04-01, 10:55 PM
Wow ... I second that ... definitely should start a new thread. Didn't even know Akira was coming to DVD o_O May is chock full of healthy anime servings ... can't make those Amazon GC's fast enough -_-;

On a different note - what has been going on with the pre-orders lately? A lot of titles that are soon to be released or are already released - Nightwalker Volume I and Angel Sanctuary to name a few particulars - are missing from many e-tailers o_O Amazon.com has Nightwalker Volume II on pre-order but no Volume I (which has already been released!), and many places - Amazon and Express included - don't have Angel Sanctuary on pre-order ... which is due out in July. Not to mention the multitude of incomplete titles or awkward spellings that make certain anime titles hard to search for.

Sigh. Well, that's enough ranting for a day ^_^; I should be studying for those SAT II's I'm taking tomorrow ...