Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

wanted phish new release review

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

wanted phish new release review

Old 03-04-01, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couldnt find one by searching please post one
Old 03-04-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...huh?... "Phish" ? ?

...all I could find was a movie Fish:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0246855

. . .
Old 03-04-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...AHA!!! I done went 'n found it! Look here:

http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreview...tmoteldvd.html

Enjoy!

! !
Old 03-05-01, 12:37 AM

good reveiw, i was thinking about getting this and probably will now, althought i hate non anamorhic dics.
Old 03-05-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the link Hendrik...

Pre-ordered my copy from Amazon last week. I'll post a little something after it gets here...
Old 03-05-01, 06:17 PM

ok here is another challenge,
can you find out what songs are in the video itself?
i saw there are some in the extra features but i mean the movie itself
tyler
Old 03-08-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched this last night...

Don't remember all of the tunes in the film, don't have the disc with me... A lot of the chapters are named after the songs... Off the top of my head I remember... Down With Disease, Roses Are Free, Loving Cup, Waste, Frankenstein, Wilson, etc...

Film - 1.85:1... Looks real nice, good transfer, some grain on the clips that were shot with a home video camera but those are few. A little too much Trey, but that's to be expected really. It's quite funny at times and also pretty interesting. Most of the focus is on the band, not the fans. The Great Went is the highlight show... Also a lot of footage from Europe and the winter tour that year. Thumbs up.

Sound - DTS is really nice. Not much in the surround department, but it's spread across the front soundstage pretty well. Good grooves. Clean. Thumbs up. Didn't listen to the DD 5.1 track.

Extras - 8 chapters... 4 deleted scenes (Mike & Trey at practice is hilarious). 4 songs... The version of Maze on here is phatty sick... The rest are so-so... I've seen em' do much better, a little sloppy and rough. Some of the footage is home video, so it's a little rough as well. No 5.1 mix, straight 2.0. Sounds OK.

Verdict - If you're a serious fan, go buy it already. If you're a casual fan, rent it.
Old 03-09-01, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is also the obligatory scenes of weed, cheap beer, nitrous, and discussions about hooking up during shows.

The scenes of the band on the beaches of Europe are great, especially when they discuss how they handle photographs!
Old 03-09-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought "Bittersweet Motel" on Tuesday and just got around to watching it last night. It plays almost like a self-consciously silly parody of U2's "Rattle & Hum" - especially in this hilarious "extra" scene with Mike and Trey in their Burlington studio, asking each other inane questions and punctuating each response with a tiny guitar/bass riff. (Trey: "So, Mike, just how rich are you?" Mike: "Just medium rich, Trey." noodle, noodle, noodle)

If you're not already into the band, then this film certainly won't persuade you as to their magical qualities. The songs included in the body of the film proper are all clipped at the beginning and the end. And most of the camerawork shows disturbing closeups of Trey at the microphone. (If you ever wanted to count Trey's nosehairs, maaaaaan, here's your chance.) There's far too little of Page and Mike for my tastes.

Unfortunately, the segments on the fan community are limited and stereotyped. The smattering of fans they do interview are either toasted on hippie crack or shotgunning beers. It would have been nice to see some "phans" that weren't chemically heightened or that had a modicum of public speaking ability. But - eh - that's just a little nitpick.

It was refreshing to actually see some interview footage with the band (not that they had anything monumental to say). Since, aside from onstage antics, we really don't get to know those four guys very well due to their invisibility to mainstream press.

Like someone said above: if you're a phan, go for it. If you're just moderately interested, you might want to ferret out some audio tapes of the Went or Lemonwheel. That'll give you a better idea of what this band is actually capable of. "Bittersweet Motel" is just a silly little film-ic lark. Not a primer on all things Phish.