Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review: Elite's Drive-in Disc #1

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Elite's Drive-in Disc #1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sherman, set the way-back machine for the June 1959, when everyone's favorite place to congregate on a warm summer evening was the local drive-in theater. That is the goal -- sometimes achieved, sometimes not quite so -- of Elite's recent Drive-in Disc #1.

I won't go into a great amount of detail about the main features, other than to say that there are two 50's B Sci-Fi movies included on the disc: (Attack of) The Giant Leeches and The Screaming Skull. Both are presented in their original, anamorphic aspect ratio of 1.85:1. The transfers are better than I expected - somewhat soft, with a typical amount of nicks and scratches, but watchable, nonetheless. I'll get to the audio in a moment. There are also two cartoon shorts included, Betty Boop in Blunderland and Private Eye Popeye, and trailers for two other 50's B movies, The Wasp Woman and The Giant Gila Monster.

The menus are laid out so that you can view any of the above features individually, or in a sequence that fairly faithfully recreates and entire evening at the drive-in. This, in my opinion, is where the disc shines, and what made it worth the price of admission, so to speak. In this mode, you start with a couple of announcements reminding patrons to behave themselves (no loud noises, no "public displays of affection"), followed by ads for the refreshment stand, previews of coming attractions, cartoon shorts, and the main features, including the intermission between them. You also have the option, in this mode, of hearing the audio in its original mono, or in what Elite has billed as Distort-O, which recreates the effect of being in your car at the drive-in. The soundtrack (in extreme low-fi) comes from the front left speaker only, and the four remaining channels are used for sound effects such as people talking in your car, car doors opening and closing, people walking and talking outside your car, other cars arriving late and/or leaving early, whistles and cat-calls from other cars when an attractive woman appers on the screen, and other ambient effects. It probably sounds annoying, but it is really very funny, and very accurate in its depiction of life at the drive-in, and we sort of "got into" the experience after a while.

I also really love the "supplements" on this disc. There are several vintage clips and ads (ranging from about 60 seconds to 10 minutes in length), all actual clips used at drive-ins throughout the 50's and 60's, most created by Filmack Studios, a company that has been creating imaginative promos for theater chains since 1919. You get:
  • "It's Intermission Time" - 10 minute countdown clock (including the famous dancing hot dog seen in the movie Grease)
  • "Moms, get dinner here"
  • "Let's All Go to the Lobby"
  • "Tex Rides Again" - cowboy-themed refreshment stand ad
  • "Hot Dog" - a talking hot dog ad
  • "Keep Quiet" - public service announcement
  • "Hello Young Lovers" - public service announcement
  • "Three Mosquitos" - and ad for PIC, a bug repellent
  • The National Anthem
  • "Chilly Dilly" - a talking pickle ad
  • "Previews of Coming Attractions"
  • "Selected Short Subjects"
  • "And Now, On With the Show"

I'm sure this disc won't be for everyone, but if you've ever spent time at a drive-in, or wondered what it might have been like, this is the closest to the real thing you're likely to find. Unfortunately, you'll have to supply your own popcorn, hot dogs and soda pop.