Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Review: Book Of Shadows - Blair Witch 2

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-01, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many probably know, the "Blair Witch" sequel got almost universally negative response when it entered theaters late last year. Although I didn't particularly like the movie myself, I would call it more of a dissapointment than saying that I hated sitting through it. Interestingly enough though, the director's commentary does give a lot of insight as to what happened and how his vision of what the movie should be differed from the studio (and guess who won that).

Artisan's DVD provides a very nice presentation in terms of audio/video quality. The 1.85:1 presentation is anamorphic and looks quite good - sharp, clean and very few flaws overall. The Dolby Digital 5.1 presentation provides some good effects and slight scares, although it doesn't compare with the audio for this week's "Lost Souls" (which wasn't a great film either, but had really good & creative use of sound).

Extras are both good and bad. A commentary from the director is one of the better ones I've listened to lately, with the previously mentioned inclusion of quite a bit of talk about what he wanted the film to be. A "scene-specific" commentary from composer Carter Burwell specifically seems to be for about 2 scenes. He hardly talks and it would've been nice to have the scenes where he talks on their own as a different extra.

There's the usual - cast and crew bios and production notes, but no trailer. DVD-ROM material includes script-to-screen, deleted scenes and other features, but according to the press release, these features aren't available until March 13th - street date.

Old 02-27-01, 05:57 PM
Banned

BW2 = Vomitous Extremus
Old 03-01-01, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RUN, GET OUT OF THE WAY...IT'S BLAIR WITCH 2!

Don't even waste your time.
What a pile of crap!
Everything about this falled attempt is box office tripe!
Bad is one thing, but BLAIR WITCH 2 is simply awful!
Old 03-01-01, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not the greatest but I've seen much, much worse....
Old 06-07-01, 01:18 PM

Just saw this for the first time the other night. I have to give it a thumbs down as is, but I think the director's cut must have been really, really good! I discovered in Berlinger's commentary afterwards that the only things I didn't like about it were the things the studio made him add later. The idiotic asylum flashbacks, visions of gore and reshuffled police interrogation scenes spoiled the whole thing for me. But aside from that, I thought the storyline, cast and creepiness factor were all strong. I would love to see a special Director's Cut DVD someday, but since the film didn't do so well, the odds of that are depressingly slim.
Old 06-07-01, 03:02 PM
Banned

I've seen probably 2000 movies in my time.

I own over 200 DVDs.

And I can say with 100% certainty that BW2 was not only the worst movie I've ever seen, but the worst movie imagineable! I couldn't make a worse movie even if I TRIED!

Old 06-07-01, 05:13 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Quakehater
I've seen probably 2000 movies in my time.

I own over 200 DVDs.

And I can say with 100% certainty that BW2 was not only the worst movie I've ever seen, but the worst movie imagineable! I couldn't make a worse movie even if I TRIED!

Hey man, "Blair With Project 2" was one of the worst films I have seen in a long, long time. But I have four films I believe you haven't seen out of your 2000 that top it in every way, shape, or form imaginable: "JP2: The Lost World", "Dangerous Ground", "The Island of Dr. Moreau", and finally... 1998's version of "Godzilla". It doesn't get any worse than those!
Old 06-11-01, 01:20 AM

Woohoo! Glad to know someone else hates Island of Dr. Moreau as much as I do. I almost got booted out of the theatres when I saw it because I was laughing so hard the entire time.
Old 06-11-01, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shorticus
Woohoo! Glad to know someone else hates Island of Dr. Moreau as much as I do. I almost got booted out of the theatres when I saw it because I was laughing so hard the entire time.
oh god, I was laughing too. I had to cup both hands over my mouth to avoid getting kicked out. I am not exaggerating. At least I had fun.
Old 06-13-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As usual, I’m in the minority opinion. Perhaps because there was zero hype or maybe because my expectations were low, but for whatever reason, I found the sequel better crafted, better acted, and more enjoyable than BWP. While this is not a title I would chose to purchase, I do not regret renting it and feel my time was well spent.
Old 06-18-01, 03:57 PM
Cool New Member

-Yes it is true this movie sucks and it's a perfect example of why some sequels should never be made

Old 06-18-01, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Well then I guess you never saw Battlefield Earth
Old 06-19-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by necros
Well then I guess you never saw Battlefield Earth

or "Brazil"! Flame on!!!!
Old 06-21-01, 12:19 PM
Cool New Member

Worst movie ever is Destiny Turns on the Radio, completely unwatchable. This is worse than Godzilla could even imagine.