Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Sega Dreamcast.....dead?

THX 1138
02-22-01, 06:19 PM
HELL NO! Crazy Taxi 2, NFL2k2, and NBA2k2 have been announced to come out this year! Check out the clip for the two great ones below! $99 dollars? You can't beat that!

Sonic Adventure 2

Windows Media Player:
56K (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=asf&speed=56&path=sonicadv2_dc_6.asx&title=Sonic+Adventure+2+Movie+7) Cable (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=asf&speed=100&path=sonicadv2_dc_6.asx&title=Sonic+Adventure+2+Movie+7) T1 (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=asf&speed=300&path=sonicadv2_dc_6.asx&title=Sonic+Adventure+2+Movie+7)

Real Audio:
56K (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=rm&speed=56&path=sonicadv2_dc_6.rm&title=Sonic+Adventure+2+Movie+7) Cable (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=rm&speed=100&path=sonicadv2_dc_6.rm&title=Sonic+Adventure+2+Movie+7) T1 (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=rm&speed=300&path=sonicadv2_dc_6.rm&title=Sonic+Adventure+2+Movie+7)

Alone in the Dark

Windows Media Player:
56K (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=asf&speed=56&path=aitd_0212_movie1.asx&title=Alone+in+the+Dark%3A+The+New+Nightmare+Trailer+2) Cable (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=asf&speed=100&path=aitd_0212_movie1.asx&title=Alone+in+the+Dark%3A+The+New+Nightmare+Trailer+2) T1 (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=asf&speed=300&path=aitd_0212_movie1.asx&title=Alone+in+the+Dark%3A+The+New+Nightmare+Trailer+2)

Real Audio:
56K (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=rm&speed=56&path=aitd_0212_movie1.rm&title=Alone+in+the+Dark%3A+The+New+Nightmare+Trailer+2) Cable (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=rm&speed=100&path=aitd_0212_movie1.rm&title=Alone+in+the+Dark%3A+The+New+Nightmare+Trailer+2) T1 (http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?format=rm&speed=300&path=aitd_0212_movie1.rm&title=Alone+in+the+Dark%3A+The+New+Nightmare+Trailer+2)

Titmouse
02-22-01, 06:24 PM
I agree, l love my Dreamcast and I'm really glad I got it.

It gets the Titmouse Seal of Approval™ :D

Josh H
02-22-01, 06:38 PM
Yep, there's a ton of great games coming, much more than for the PS2. My DC will keep me occupied until Gamecube and/or X-box. :)

El Scorcho
02-22-01, 06:39 PM
And who can forget the main advantage of having a dreamcast -- "backup" copies easily made! ;)

joltaddict
02-22-01, 06:40 PM
I'm still sinking a butt-load of money into it, I found Twinsticks today! :)

djones6746
02-22-01, 07:04 PM
Looking forward to Shenmue II....and Ibleed looks promising also!!! :)

darkside
02-22-01, 07:28 PM
2001 will defintely be a good year to own a DC, so at least its going out in style.

thegame370
02-22-01, 07:33 PM
[B]Yep, there's a ton of great games coming, much more than for the PS2.

HAHA!!! I agree Dreamcast has some games left but more than PS2, LOL. Dont make me laugh. I dont know if you meant DC has more games coming out that PS2 has now availabe or that DC has more better games coming out or just better games being released.

Heres the banging titles for PS2 on the way:

Onimusha
Devil May Cry
Run Like Hell
The Bouncer
Silent Hill 2
Gran Turismo 3
Metel Gear Solid 2
Resident Evil 4
Teknen 4

The only games i want left for DC are: Crazy Taxi 2, Shenmue 2 and .......

tha_dvd_man
02-22-01, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by thegame370
Yep, there's a ton of great games coming, much more than for the PS2.

HAHA!!! I agree Dreamcast has some games left but more than PS2, LOL. Dont make me laugh. I dont know if you meant DC has more games coming out that PS2 has now availabe or that DC has more better games coming out or just better games being released.

Onimusha
Devil May Cry
Run Like Hell
The Bouncer
Silent Hill 2
Gran Turismo 3
Metel Gear Solid 2
Resident Evil 4
Teknen 4

The only games i want left for DC are: Crazy Taxi 2, Shenmue 2 and ....... Out of all those games you listed, I only want to play at the most two- Silent Hill 2 and Devil May Cry. GT3 will basically be GT2 with more cars and better graphics, I am DEAD sick of Tekken, I've played three RE's already (getting tired of them), The Bouncer looks like an overhyped beat'm'up, MGS had very insipid and uninpsired gameplay with a bitch camera-view and I doubt MGS2 will do much to fix that, Onimusha doesn't look extremely original or exciting, and I have to admit I've never heard of (or can't remember) Run Like Hell.
So far the Dreamcast has a MUCH better lineup, and including some of the games that just recently came out, has a better release list than the PS2. Not bad for "dead" system.

thegame370
02-22-01, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Yep, there's a ton of great games coming, much more than for the PS2.

Onimusha
Devil May Cry
Run Like Hell
The Bouncer
Silent Hill 2
Gran Turismo 3
Metel Gear Solid 2
Resident Evil 4
Teknen 4

The only games i want left for DC are: Crazy Taxi 2, Shenmue 2 and ....... Out of all those games you listed, I only want to play at the most two- Silent Hill 2 and Devil May Cry. GT3 will basically be GT2 with more cars and better graphics, I am DEAD sick of Tekken, I've played three RE's already (getting tired of them), The Bouncer looks like an overhyped beat'm'up, MGS had very insipid and uninpsired gameplay with a bitch camera-view and I doubt MGS2 will do much to fix that, Onimusha doesn't look extremely original or exciting, and I have to admit I've never heard of (or can't remember) Run Like Hell.
So far the Dreamcast has a MUCH better lineup, and including some of the games that just recently came out, has a better release list than the PS2. Not bad for "dead" system.

You Guys Are Nuts!!! I just have to luagh. DC is got some good games for there final days, but to say it has a better line up than PS2, thats just crazy. I think people just dont wanna accept DC is going to be gone soon, well its sad to hear cuz i love DC too, but.... PEACE!!!! Bring On the PS2 Games!!!!!!!

tha_dvd_man
02-22-01, 07:53 PM
Anybody who actually thinks the current PS2 lineup is better than the Dreamcast lineup is a fanboy, plain and simple. I can easily see how somebody would say the PS2 is better because of the future lineup, but the PS2's current games can't touch the Dreamcast's. There's WAY more quality, and most of the PS2's "big games" are just 32-bit rehashes, and bore the hell out of me. Hell, take any "best PS2 game" of each genre and there will be a better Dreamcast game to match it, not including all the original Dreamcast games the PS2 only wishes it has.

TaTTooD
02-22-01, 08:03 PM
PS2.....biggest time filler ever. Are they ever gonna ship enough systems for demand? :rolleyes:

Spicollidriver1
02-22-01, 08:04 PM
First of all GT3 is not gonna have more cars because it's geared more to being a different game, and better graphics. It's only gonna have 150 cars. Originally it was just gonna be an upgrade to turismo 2 but now it's a new game. Oni is cool, but I have it on pc so who cares about the PS2. As far as Metal Gear I am not gonna even respond to it. As far as what's out now ATV rocks. By the way I like my dreamcast better, but the PS2 is not worthless.

tha_dvd_man
02-22-01, 08:05 PM
What about MGS are you not gonna respond to?

joltaddict
02-22-01, 08:08 PM
I haven't seen a game yet that would justify dropping this kinda money on it. I have come close but I always walk out with a DC game. $300 is a lot of DVDs. I have a feeling MGS2 may be the one that pushes me over thhe edge though.

KnightLerxst
02-23-01, 07:22 PM
For some reason I havent played my DC in 3 weeks or so, got so frustrated with NFL2k1 I just put it down, I have 10 games and I know I will pick up a few more, especially if the smash pack disc gets released on its own.

Michael T Hudson
02-23-01, 08:44 PM
I got a raincheck back form Target in the mail today form the 19.99 sale they had. They said they are not going to get Jet Radio Grind back in :( but I can have any game or accesory for 60% off. I am thinking of picking up Tony Hawk 2 any opinions ?

cloud
02-23-01, 09:28 PM

[B]Yep, there's a ton of great games coming, much more than for the PS2.

Onimusha
Devil May Cry
Run Like Hell
The Bouncer
Silent Hill 2
Gran Turismo 3
Metel Gear Solid 2
Resident Evil 4
Teknen 4

The only games i want left for DC are: Crazy Taxi 2, Shenmue 2 and .......

Actually Tekken 4 has been posponed till next year, and unfortunately The Bouncer (a game I was looking forward to) has been criticlly panned across the board. Apparently it lacks several of the features that were promised like interaction with the background and various objects.

Josh H
02-23-01, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by BigDaddy
I am thinking of picking up Tony Hawk 2 any opinions ?

Tony Hawk is one of the funnest, and most addictive, games I've ever played. You won't be dissappointed with it.

KrackerBox
02-24-01, 03:44 AM
for those who support psx2, i dunno, i have my doubts. since it's just starting out, the graphics are very similar to that of DC, sure it has higher potential than DC, but for now, they're similar. and once psx2 gets those good games rolling in, XBOX and Game Cube will also be rolling in. who would buy psx2 for 300 if you could get XBOX for the same or just a little more. (i really don't want to support bill gate's overtaking of the game land, but what can i say? he's good at what he does.) so i think psx2 is stuck between a rock and a hard place. personally, i don't think they'll do well, keep playing your DC now, and save up for an xbox, thats what i say. but who knows right? i just won't risk getting a psx2 till later.

naitram
02-24-01, 05:33 AM
If you see a PS2 on the shelf, and you have the money, you're going to have a hard time not buying one. ;) I agree that Sony is off to a questionable start with it's new machine, but I think the games we'll see on PS2 a year from now will be stunning compared to now. We'll be seeing probably the best possible graphics the Dreamcast can do this summer and fall, but we won't see the PS2 fully tapped for a few more years, so the potential is there (that's why I bought one). Sony has also stated that 300 PS2 games will be released over the next year. And I have no faith in Nintendo after the N64, and I think everyone is putting a little too much faith in Microsoft's first console.

But I'm still excited about the DC games coming this year. My most wanted - RE: Code Veronica Complete, Daytona 2001, Rival Schools 2, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Sonic Adv. 2, Crazy Taxi 2, House of the Dead 3, Shenmue 2, 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker, etc. The last of the great games will only come from Sega and Capcom, though. Once Sega announced the hardware production stop, you can be sure no games that nobody is going to start development on new games. I think that's what people really mean when they say "Dreamcast is dead". Hell, I said N64 was dead a year ago...and games are still trickling out!

cloud
02-24-01, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by naitram
If you see a PS2 on the shelf, and you have the money, you're going to have a hard time not buying one. ;) I agree that Sony is off to a questionable start with it's new machine, but I think the games we'll see on PS2 a year from now will be stunning compared to now. We'll be seeing probably the best possible graphics the Dreamcast can do this summer and fall, but we won't see the PS2 fully tapped for a few more years, so the potential is there (that's why I bought one). Sony has also stated that 300 PS2 games will be released over the next year. And I have no faith in Nintendo after the N64, and I think everyone is putting a little too much faith in Microsoft's first console.

But I'm still excited about the DC games coming this year. My most wanted - RE: Code Veronica Complete, Daytona 2001, Rival Schools 2, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Sonic Adv. 2, Crazy Taxi 2, House of the Dead 3, Shenmue 2, 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker, etc. The last of the great games will only come from Sega and Capcom, though. Once Sega announced the hardware production stop, you can be sure no games that nobody is going to start development on new games. I think that's what people really mean when they say "Dreamcast is dead". Hell, I said N64 was dead a year ago...and games are still trickling out!

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except your comment WRT the X Box. I realize there is always the potential for failure in the video games market especially by an unknown "player" like Microsoft (and yes they are new as far as video games go), but they have been taking the whole project extremely seriously. They have looked at the big three "players" - Sony, Sega and Nintendo - and took into account what they have done right as well as wrong. They are very serious about making an impact in the video games market and stand a pretty good chance of succeeding, possibly even out doing Sony and Nintendo.

stingo
02-24-01, 03:35 PM
A system is only as good as its games. If the PS2 comes up with some compelling games (to me) I'll buy it. (Ironically, it might be Virtua Fighter 4 - Sega making me buy a PS2 - need a healthy sense of irony). Until that time I'll stick with the tons of great titles I have on my Dreamcast...

THX 1138
02-24-01, 05:09 PM
But I'm still excited about the DC games coming this year. My most wanted - RE: Code Veronica Complete

??????????

darkside
02-24-01, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by THX 1138
But I'm still excited about the DC games coming this year. My most wanted - RE: Code Veronica Complete

??????????

Code that be Code Veronica X. Thats a PS2 title though.

Michael T Hudson
02-27-01, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by joshhinkle
Originally posted by BigDaddy
I am thinking of picking up Tony Hawk 2 any opinions ?

Tony Hawk is one of the funnest, and most addictive, games I've ever played. You won't be dissappointed with it.

Target ended up getting Jet Radio Grind back in so I picked it up for 20 bucks. I may get Tony Hawk 2 this weekend. As I play my DC I get sad they are stopping production. The games are so damn good. Oh well I have been happy since 9/9/99. :)

Spicollidriver1
02-27-01, 11:22 AM
As far as the Metal Gear comment tha dvd man had some unsavory comments about it, and I chose not to respond. :)

KnightLerxst
02-27-01, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by stingo
A system is only as good as its games. If the PS2 comes up with some compelling games (to me) I'll buy it. (Ironically, it might be Virtua Fighter 4 - Sega making me buy a PS2 - need a healthy sense of irony). Until that time I'll stick with the tons of great titles I have on my Dreamcast...

That is the same way I feel. If VF4 is a PS2 exclusive then I will have to pick up a PS2, until then there really is nothing out for that system that would make want it.