Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Battlefield Earth Revisited

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Battlefield Earth Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-01, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw the DVD Battlefield Earth. It was far better than the movie because the sound is crisper, it may be optically brighter, and I was unable to adjust the contrast knob at my local Cineplex!

In the DVD the plot is easier to follow and the ending makes much more sense than the movie. It may be superior sound, better lighting.

I noticed this time the social commentary the author put in on the topic of racial prejudices. The "superior" Psychlo race couldn't see past their own narrow-mindedness to actually grasp that the humans had a culture, customs and intelligence of their own. Sound familiar, anyone? This led to the delicious ending! If you've ever lived/worked around a bigot, you'll see them nicely satirized and sliced up in this DVD. And it has plenty of action and good visual FX.

I am dead convinced that some of Hollywood's professional criticizers (I cannot call them movie critics on this topic because they were too pointlessly emotonial about the movie) simply could not follow the plot due to the movie's (not the DVD's) bad sound and dark lighting. As the plot whizzed along, most critics just fell off at the turns. Then they could only criticize. What? Admit they weren't on the same page as the director? Hardly!

It's a DVD worth buying. When my friends -- many of whom saw the movie -- borrow it, they come back saying they liked it.
Old 02-19-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You wouldn't happen to be a member of MindHead, um I mean Scientology?
Old 02-19-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow....this just happens to be your first post, too!
Old 02-19-01, 11:53 AM
Hoc

I saw this movie in the theater, and the sound and lighting had nothing to do with my dislike of it. This movie was just plain bad. To suggest that there was some subtle plot variation missed by watching the movie is like suggesting that there was some subtle act of heroism when Mike Tyson bit off what's-his-name's ear.

The plot stunk, the special effects were cheesy, and the only way this movie could have been worse is if it had included a dancing bear. This is quite possibly the worst movie ever made, perhaps outdone only by Howard the Duck.
Old 02-20-01, 12:54 AM
Hoc

Originally posted by Hoc
The plot stunk, the special effects were cheesy, and the only way this movie could have been worse is if it had included a dancing bear. This is quite possibly the worst movie ever made, perhaps outdone only by Howard the Duck.
Hey! I like that! I think I now have a new sig!
Old 02-20-01, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this in the cinema ( Went out and got drunk with a few friends and somehow wound up in the cinema looking at a midnight screening )

I thought the film was fun ( in a cheesy sort of way ) but no way should it be viewed sober!

If you buy the DVD, make sure you buy a suitable amount of beer as well to soften the blow
Old 02-22-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hoc

I totally disagree, your review is way off base. I think a dancing bear would have actually made the movie better. Imagine watching the film with a dancing bear in the background at all times? That would've been great.

A dancing bear flying a harrier would have been as realistic as the cavemen technology humans.
Old 02-22-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Prof Watcher
I just saw the DVD Battlefield Earth. It was far better than the movie because the sound is crisper, it may be optically brighter, and I was unable to adjust the contrast knob at my local Cineplex!

In the DVD the plot is easier to follow and the ending makes much more sense than the movie. It may be superior sound, better lighting.
sual FX.

What were you smoking when you saw it on DVD? Are you actually saying that everyone in the world is an idiot who can't tell a bad movie from a good one because of the lighting? The script stunk, and no improvement to lighting or sound quality will ever change that.

You are a Sci aren't you? The movie was absolute rubbish. Not because of lighting ot sound, but because of an unbelievably bad plotline, and some of the worst acting anyone's ever seen from John Travolta.
Old 02-22-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’m ashamed to admit I bought this in the hopes it would be good/bad in the same way ShowGirls is but I have to say this film is atrocious in a way I could never have imagined. It makes Plan 9 from Outer Space look like the work of a genius.

There are simply no words to describe how bad this piece of cinematic excrement really is. If there’s any justice Travolta’s career should be dead and buried after this bomb.
Old 02-22-01, 06:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Saw it on DVD + Didn't see it in theatre = still BAD movie.
Old 02-22-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the best reviews I think I've ever read...