Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: What Lies Beneath?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: What Lies Beneath?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-01, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a buy or a rental? Thanks for posting.
Old 01-26-01, 09:53 AM
Max

I personally really enjoyed it. In fact I went to the theater twice to see it!
Its slow moving at first but builds throughout with an edge of your seat climax.
Some scenes are shot really well and in some cases play homage to Hitchcock.
A ghost, murder mystery....it has mixed reviews but I definitely intend to buy it.
Old 01-28-01, 01:46 AM

I was dragged to see this film, but was pleasantly surprised after viewing it. I recommend purchasing it, and if it isn't to your liking selling it on eBay. Being available at Kmart on Tuesday for $15.95, you could probably sell it after viewing it for more than that...

------------------
"We are number #1. All others are #2 and lower."
Old 01-28-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I preordered my copy along with a disc which will not be released until March from Amazon so I will have to wait for my copy..... a buddy of mine saw it in the theater and said it was very good.

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-28-01, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

djones6746 : Amazon will sometimes ship dics separately even though it says they don't. I've had them do this a few times, so don't be surprised if it's in your mailbox this week...
Old 01-28-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JaxComet:
djones6746 : Amazon will sometimes ship dics separately even though it says they don't. I've had them do this a few times, so don't be surprised if it's in your mailbox this week...
<HR>

I am not counting on it......American Beauty shipped with Gettysburg in December.

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-28-01, 09:57 PM
Cool New Member

If you order more than one item from Amazon, you can request each item to ship as they become available. This option is listed somewhere during the checkout process. It will increase your shipping costs.

Robert
Old 01-28-01, 10:06 PM

More than anything, it reminded me of the old Hitchcock knock-offs that Brian DePalma used to do (Obsession, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Body Double). If you not that familiar with Hitchcock's films, What Lies Beneath will probably play somewhat better for you. The climax is a little absurd. It's not that it's a bad film, it's just that it's kind of. . .familiar.

------------------
What you derive from a film depends very much on what you bring to it. It allows you to focus emotionally on things you already know. It brings things to a point.

--Andrew Sarris
Old 01-29-01, 10:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
What I liked MOST about this movie was its references to Hitchcock.

------------------
"No shirt. No shoes. No dice."
Old 01-30-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hitchcock by way of De Palma.

------------------
What you derive from a film depends very much on what you bring to it. It allows you to focus emotionally on things you already know. It brings things to a point.

--Andrew Sarris
Old 01-30-01, 11:24 PM
Banned

ok people, stop comparing this sorry excuse for a film to Hitchcock. It's ridiculous, Hitchcock would've laughed his a** off at this thing. How many stupid BOO! moments can one film have?

[This message has been edited by Kim Deal (edited January 30, 2001).]
Old 01-31-01, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umm, I thought this movie was excruciatingly predictable, though there was a conscious effort to try and "throw you off" by adding characters that had such little to do with the plot (as in nothing) that it just distracted you from the story...definitely a rental imho.
Old 02-01-01, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
while the film is pretty predictable, i think it still has enough scary moments to warrant a purchase. even when you knew something was coming, the payoff was creepy enough to give you a jolt. and that last scene was pretty gnarley too. those eyes...

------------------
you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug; especially when it's holding a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Old 02-01-01, 06:51 AM

I rented it. I recommend you do the same.
Old 02-01-01, 10:25 AM
Max

I think you should watch it again...there are plenty of scenes that are totally Hitchcock in nature-the "Rear Window" type scene with the neighbors, the bathtub shot, the shot at the end in the rear view mirror of the car, etc etc....It's definitely not a classic like Hitchcock but some scenes definitely play homage to him. And with the most recent crop of teen slasher flicks this was a nice departure. There aren't that many adult thrillers (ie 6th Sense and Stir of Echoes are ones that come to mind) and I really enjoyed it. I still say it's definitely worth purchasing. I saw it twice in the theater and have watched the dvd again...

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kim Deal:
ok people, stop comparing this sorry excuse for a film to Hitchcock. It's ridiculous, Hitchcock would've laughed his a** off at this thing. How many stupid BOO! moments can one film have?

[This message has been edited by Kim Deal (edited January 30, 2001).]
<HR>
Old 02-02-01, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I agree with Max. This is a sophisticated, well-made thriller. There are some great set pieces and an enjoyable, Bernard Hermann-esque score. Can't wait to watch and listen to the DVD in all its DTS glory

------------------
"No shirt. No shoes. No dice."
Old 02-03-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just rented it last night, and as a Hitchcock fan...please, don't even use his name in the same breath as the title of this film. I totally agree with Kim and nightliner. RENT FIRST!!

------------------
DVD Profiler List

[This message has been edited by Calistoga (edited February 03, 2001).]
Old 02-03-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When in doubt, rent. Any movie that can make my wife scream about 10 times can't be all bad. It's fun if you're in the right mood for it.
Old 02-03-01, 12:45 PM

I rented it last night and it was one of the most on the edge of your seat thrillers that I've seen in a long time. I think my wife probably watched a total of 5 minutes of this movie because her hands were over her face the rest of the time. As for the DVD quality, I thought the picture was great but the sound left a lot to be desired. IMHO, it could've been ten times creepier had they used the surrounds more.

------------------
My Home Theater Page

Go Noles!
>>------>
Old 02-03-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great review noleman.

I rented this last night and watched it with the g/f. She asked me to rent it thinking it was more of drama. I was pleasantly surprised

I may even buy this one...

Some tense moments and I loved the camera work.

------------------
THE SE7ENTH WARRIOR OF THE 'OTHER' FORUM...

"Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up."
-Anon.

My DVD List
Old 02-03-01, 07:47 PM

Great Movie!!!
Old 02-04-01, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Prtty bad! I saw it yesterday. Harrison Ford is really starting to show his age!
Old 02-05-01, 11:36 AM

I bought this on Friday night, sight unseen. Got it home, watched it, had nightmares later. I thought it was a good suspense/thriller, Worth every penny. My 2cents worth.

-recycler-
Old 02-07-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ingredients for What Lies Beneath pot luck stew:

Take a clove of Rear Window, a sprig of Sixth Sense, a dash of Stir of Echoes and finish off with two tablespoons of Jagged Edge. Stir gently, simmer and serve half-baked.
Old 02-07-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had very low expectations and was pleasantly suprised. It probably deserves the criticisms - slow at first, kinda predictable. But it was creepy enough for me. A good rental, imo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.