Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: X-Men

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-01, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fry's has the X-Men DVD on sale for $15, yet I hesitated to buy it. I enjoyed the movie, but perhaps not enough to watch it over and over again. What's everyone's opinion on how well it holds up to multiple viewings? (I know this is a subjective question.) Also, how would you rate the DVD overall?
Old 02-06-01, 06:45 PM

X-Men is one of the best comic-book adaptions that I have seen. I enjoyed it very much. The X-Men DVD is quite good, but it could of been improved a little further.

Characters/Cast: A-
Story: B
Action/FX: B+
Picture/Sound: A
DVD Extras: B
Old 02-06-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you ever were a X-men reader, this will be a nostalgia trip you will not forget in a long while. Thus, I also recommend buying it.

------------------
"A word is dead when it is said, some say; I say it just begins to live that day."
Old 02-06-01, 10:07 PM
Banned

Arguably the finest adaptation of a long-running comic book we've gotten. Singer certainly had a lot to live up to with this film and thankfully did the book justice.

[This message has been edited by Kim Deal (edited February 06, 2001).]
Old 02-06-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tis a great movie. I'd recommend it to anyone.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 02-07-01, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. However, I've seen the movie, and know it's good. I'm wondering specifically about the DVD. Is it worth buying, for someone like me who is not a huge fan of the X-Men comic books but enjoyed the movie?
Old 02-09-01, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm like you, I liked the movie, but have never been into comic books and such. I didn't buy it because I can't picture myself watching the movie very often, and having watched the extras once don't have an interest in seeing them again. The TV and audio setup section might be useful, but I don't know how it compares to Avia and the like.
Old 02-09-01, 10:07 PM

The deleted scenes were ok... I think it has a great surround sound track, the only movie that made me think something was happening in my house and not in the movie...

Didnt see it in the theater, but have watched it 3 times on DVD....

The TV/Audio setup stuff doesnt compare to Avia. Its interesting to play with though...
Old 02-10-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sure, I think this one is worth picking up.
You said yourself that you think the movie is good. Isn't that enough to warrant a purchase?

If you're into extra features, this disc has some decent ones.

Before the release of this DVD, there was talk about some version of the movie being released a year later (or more) with every possible extra feature you could imagine plus an extended version of the movie! This extended version was supposedly being organized and shot by the director AFTER the movie has already been completed for the theaters.

I haven't heard anything since.
Old 02-12-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You people must be nuts, you obviously arent fans of the comic or you'd be very dissapointed on how the adaption of the comic was. First of all they should of called the movie Wolverine becuase thats all that it was about. Second, Rogue was a huge dissapointment, shes not that young and she didnt even get to fly and they came up with a lame story of her getting the white streak in her hair. Third, Cyclops(my favorite) was played by a feaking sissy boy, he suppose to be the team leader and that actor who portrayed him was a ****. Fourth, Magneto was too freaking old, i mean hes suppose to be old but at the same time tuff and muscular. Fifth, Iceman was too young himself, he was in The X-Men Team since they started back in the 60's, hes not suppose to be in the school for gifted mutants, hes a veteran. Sixth, the story was absolutely horrible. Ive been waiting for this movie for years and this is what they came up with. The only reason why people are happy with this junk is because an X-Men movie is finally out and everyones favorite,Wolverine,kicked a$$. The only good thing i could say about the movie was the choice of Proffesor X, i think Patrick Stewart was the perfect choice. What a shame, worst movie of the year for me, but this is just my own opinion.

[Edited by thegame370 on 02-12-01 at 08:39 AM]
Old 02-12-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by StrickNet
Thanks for the replies. However, I've seen the movie, and know it's good. I'm wondering specifically about the DVD. Is it worth buying, for someone like me who is not a huge fan of the X-Men comic books but enjoyed the movie?
If you enjoyed the movie, I see no reason not to pick up the DVD. Fantastic audio and video quality.
Old 02-13-01, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thegame370
You people must be nuts, you obviously arent fans of the comic or you'd be very dissapointed on how the adaption of the comic was. First of all they should of called the movie Wolverine becuase thats all that it was about. Second, Rogue was a huge dissapointment, shes not that young and she didnt even get to fly and they came up with a lame story of her getting the white streak in her hair. Third, Cyclops(my favorite) was played by a feaking sissy boy, he suppose to be the team leader and that actor who portrayed him was a ****. [Edited by thegame370 on 02-12-01 at 08:39 AM]

Rogue was introduced very young in the comic and she didn't fly because she hadn't extracted Ms. Marvel's powers at that point. She got the streak in pretty much the same manner as in the comic. As for Cyclops, he was always a do-goody boyscout which is why Wolverine is always sparring with him. It is clear that you are not a real X-Men fan so give it up because you are really making yourself up to be an a**.
Old 02-13-01, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kim Deal
Originally posted by thegame370
You people must be nuts, you obviously arent fans of the comic or you'd be very dissapointed on how the adaption of the comic was. First of all they should of called the movie Wolverine becuase thats all that it was about. Second, Rogue was a huge dissapointment, shes not that young and she didnt even get to fly and they came up with a lame story of her getting the white streak in her hair. Third, Cyclops(my favorite) was played by a feaking sissy boy, he suppose to be the team leader and that actor who portrayed him was a ****. [Edited by thegame370 on 02-12-01 at 08:39 AM]

Rogue was introduced very young in the comic and she didn't fly because she hadn't extracted Ms. Marvel's powers at that point. She got the streak in pretty much the same manner as in the comic. As for Cyclops, he was always a do-goody boyscout which is why Wolverine is always sparring with him. It is clear that you are not a real X-Men fan so give it up because you are really making yourself up to be an a**.
Hey that was my own opinion and the only thing your right about is the Rogue Ms. Marvel thing, i forgot about that. I dont understand why you question me being a real X-Men fan becuase i am, im not saying that your not either, im just saying that the movie was a poor representation of what the wonderful comic is all bout. As for calling me an a$$, ya motha!!!