Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan Collection DVDs?

BubbaTC
01-30-01, 06:40 PM
Is there anyone who has these or has seen them and can offer a quick review of the DVDs? The set includes Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger. Thanks in advance.

JimRochester
01-31-01, 11:30 AM
I have Pat Games and Clear and Present Danger. I also had Hunt for red October but traded it. They are all decent movies but not spectacular DVD's. Pretty bare-bones. So-so transfers. I hate Alec Baldwin so I was biased against Hunt but most other board members think highly of the movie. If you want good action/drama/suspense movies you'll enjoy them. If you want super DVD's you'll be disappointed.

------------------
Jim's HT pics with Mitsubishi 55907, Yamaha 595a, Def Tech BP 2004's, Toshiba 5109, Pioneer LD (http://www.geocities.com/senseijim/hometheater.html)
Widescreen Presentation (http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm)
Jim's DVD's (http://www.geocities.com/senseijim/index.html)

bluemagic
01-31-01, 08:58 PM
Any rumors on whether these will get an update? Or are they staying as is, I'm considering getting the three movies.

------------------
"I've done some...questionable things, but nothing the God of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for."

- Blade Runner

JimRochester
02-01-01, 12:50 PM
These were all fairly early releases so they are in need of reissue. I haven't heard anything as to the possibility of a nice remastered box set which would be so cool.

JimRochester
02-01-01, 12:50 PM
These were all fairly early releases so they are in need of reissue. I haven't heard anything as to the possibility of a nice remastered box set which would be so cool.

BigStinky
02-01-01, 01:29 PM
I'm a fan of all 3. In terms of transfer quality I believe they are NOT anamorphic widescreen, but are otherwise fine. The sound is terrific. No extra features whatsoever.

tacomantt
02-01-01, 10:16 PM
By far, the ambush scene in A Clear and Present Danger IMO the best surround sound scene that I own. (I own more than 200 DVDs).

But as people said, the discs are pretty bare bones and should be rereleased with a 16x9 transfer at a minimum. Dont get me wrong, the color is good and the sound is good....in fact, I think I'll watch Hunt for Red October tonight.

BubbaTC
02-02-01, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the input, not sure if I'll get them now or not, I just saw the Box Set over at Sam's club for $50, so I just figured I'd check to see if there were any upcoming special editions out before I buy it. All are great movies, even though they're still not even close to the books, but what can you expect.

jonathan.e
02-02-01, 09:20 PM
Re-mastered anamorphic versions due this year.

bboisvert
02-03-01, 02:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jonathan.e:
Re-mastered anamorphic versions due this year.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jonathan.e: I hadn't heard that rumor... is there a source for this? (Maybe a web site report that I missed?) Thanks.

matome
06-17-02, 10:24 AM
Any thoughts on these discs? I know they're not anamorphic, so I'm curious about the picture quality and also the DD5.1 track on Patriot games. Thanks.

Blade
06-17-02, 09:47 PM
FYI, I merged your thread with this old one, as it already has some video reviews in it.

Robert
06-18-02, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by jonathan.e
Re-mastered anamorphic versions due this year.

Not so, apparently. I don't think we'll see new versions of these films for a long time.

matome
06-18-02, 09:05 AM
Best Buy is having a special on Patriot Games and Clear and Present for $11.99 each this week.

Houston
06-18-02, 02:32 PM
just picked up clancy box set capd, pg, and hfro for $39.99 at best buy.

milo bloom
06-18-02, 04:48 PM
With those super low prices and a new movie in the series out, I would think that re-issues are a pretty safe bet. Does our Paramount rep read this section?

matome
07-02-02, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by milo bloom
With those super low prices and a new movie in the series out, I would think that re-issues are a pretty safe bet. Does our Paramount rep read this section?

That's what I was hoping, though with the SOAF DVD probably due out by the end of the year, I'm assuming someone would've heard something about remastering by now. Paramount may just throw the original non-anamorphic three DVD's in a box with SOAF and call it the new Jack Ryan set.

highdef
07-10-02, 07:24 AM
In a word, WAIT! Paramount will be releasing SE,
anamorphic editions at least for PATRIOT GAMES &
CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER. Watch for these re-issues
when THE SUM OF ALL FEARS arrives on DVD. As for
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, it too will more than likely
receive SE treatment as well. WAIT for the upcoming
editions, as the current transfers, (non-anamorphic),
are only "good" at best.