Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Gladiator...not as good as Braveheart.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Gladiator...not as good as Braveheart.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-00, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see this film in the theater when it was released, but I watched it last night on DVD for the first time needless to say I was a bit disapointed, I fell a sleep a couple of times, guess I will have to watch it again...This film has too many slow parts, it was not paced with action sequences as good as Braveheart, and on top of that I didn't really care much for the main characters in this film, the villain wasn't as mean as King Longshank, Russell Crowe played Maximus well but the story line for the main character was just not as passionate, and gripping as William Wallace in Braveheart.

When I watch Braveheart for the first time I remember I couldn't wait to see what will happen next, and at the same time I didn't want the movie to end because it was so good. I was expecting the same for Gladiator but was a little bit disapointed.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-28-00, 01:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I didn't fall asleep, but I remember making the comparison over and over during and after the movie. Gladiator kept going down in my opinion the more I thought about it. Braveheart stayed right up there the more I thought about it and watched parts again.

************** SPOILER ALERT!!! **************

I cared when William Wallace died. Can't say the same for Maximus.
Old 11-28-00, 08:44 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Same here X. It wasn't as emotional.
Old 11-28-00, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would also concur with the above posts....Gladiator was a good movie!!! It just did not draw you in emotionally...it was very nice to watch...decent storyline....maybe if they would have had more of a struggle for the people type of storyline and developed the storyline to include his family whom were killed off very early into the movie!!! Include an epilogue where the son avenges the death of his Father in the end etc.....just not enough emotional pull to this movie!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-28-00, 03:19 PM

I totally agree with everybody here. After watching Gladiator, Braveheart is still my favorite. Like what ewok said, the main characters in Braveheart were so much more interesting.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Gladiator was still a nice film but I have a question on how he died. Was it because he was stabbed on the back by the bad guy before they fought ?

Like what X felt, I did not feel much when he dies, but I was crying when William Wallace did.
Old 11-28-00, 04:14 PM

The final scene in Gladiator was just a Hamlet ripoff, poision and sword duel. Braveheart's final scene was very original, it had a poetic quality earned by the story of the cloth WW held until the axe fell.

------------------
Sleeper - dreaming life away -
Old 11-29-00, 08:20 PM
Banned

Was Gladiator a remake of Braveheart? If not, I don't see the point in comparing the two films.

------------------
People on 'ludes should not drive
Old 11-30-00, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One was greek battles to the death a man trying to get vengance

the other was scotts fighting for freedom from english oppressors and one hero leading an army for vengance of his dead wife.

in some ways they are similar, but i have to say, i do not want to compare them. both movies were done very well (and if you fell asleep, i suggest you watch it again before saying it is not emotional or up to bar )
Old 11-30-00, 02:55 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Jack -

Go back to the Other Forum. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. But go back immediately!
Old 11-30-00, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Jack -

Go back to the Other Forum. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. But go back immediately!
<HR>

*******spoiler ***********

I cried when X told me to go away.. can braveheart make you cry when it tells you to go away?

Old 11-30-00, 06:14 PM

JS,

On the other hand I can argue that one of the reason I fell asleep through watching the film is because it was not emotional enough to keep me interested in the film, but that's beside the point.

And as for you that says there is no point of comaparing the two films, I have to disagree with that, sure I can compare the two, they are both just films/movie/entertainment whatever you want to call it for us to watch and enjoy. I'm simply comparing the entertainment value of the films, and what kind of affect the film had on me and to the other people I watched them with.

Like I said Gladiator was not as good as Braveheart, I simply liked Braveheart more than Gladiator, maybe I will like it more when I watch it again for the 2nd time, but I seriously doubt I will enjoy it more than I enjoy Braveheart.

that's all

BTW, Jackskeleton -- isn't it supposed to be Jack Skellington?
Old 11-30-00, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I already explianed the name my friend. and as for the movie. well if you look down at it already, then of course you wont like it.

Take me for an example. I loved Blade runner. Simply loved it. but when i first watched the Directors cut, it must have been late (2am or so) and i knocked out because of a lack of harrison ford's voice. So from that day on. i didn't like the director's cut. see how it can effect you.

and as for comparing the two. lets go down with a list of the common factors and the uncommon factors in the two movies. then we can go on that as a comparison.
Old 12-01-00, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I dug it, but i must admit it wasn't as awesome as the trailer led me to believe.

Crowe is a cool guy and was right for the role.

Pheonix was so distractng with that screwed up lip of his...all I could do is look at that lip ha ha ha
Old 12-01-00, 02:11 AM
Cool New Member

I must ask do you sleep through most movies? Comparing these 2 fine films is just a waste of time. They both move you on different levels and they both had a methodic pacing to them. I had wet eyes at the end of both.

Spoiler alert

When the emperor stabs Maximus in the left lung....I was pissed. The difference between the bad guys in theses films was in Gladiator I had a level of sympathy....but Longshanks was just plain EvIl!!! Just my 2 lincolns worth
Old 12-01-00, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
I would also concur with the above posts....Gladiator was a good movie!!! It just did not draw you in emotionally...it was very nice to watch...decent storyline....maybe if they would have had more of a struggle for the people type of storyline and developed the storyline to include his family whom were killed off very early into the movie!!! Include an epilogue where the son avenges the death of his Father in the end etc.....just not enough emotional pull to this movie!!!

<HR>

Do you have a son? (especially an 8 year old son?) Really hit home with me, emotional-wise.

I also found Russell Crowe's character compelling. I think it is hard to compare Maximus to WWallace - Wallace being a leader more in the Patton/Bobby Knight/Ditka kind of loud, passionate mold and Maximus a leader more cerebral (Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh come to mind from the sports world), but no less passionate.

------------------
"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."
Old 12-01-00, 01:48 PM
Suspended

I thing Gadiator is the best DVD in my collection.. I've watched it at least 10 times since it came out, and I'm sure i'll watch it 100 more

Braveheart is also a great movie, but other than the fact that it takes place ages ago and people fight with swords, I don't see the comparison Both are different movies, equally great in my book. Only reason I haven't gotten the Braveheart DVD yet is just because it's been on HBO so much, why bother.. I'll save it for when I really wanna get a new dvd and there's nothing new worth getting
Old 12-01-00, 02:47 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by necros:
"why bother"

'Cuz HBO is pan-and-scan!!!

Old 12-05-00, 11:42 AM

IMO. Gladiator and Braveheart were both masterpieces. To compare them is ridiculous.

BTW. I thought Nutty Professor was much funnier than Sophies Choice.
Old 12-05-00, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:

************** SPOILER ALERT!!! **************

I cared when William Wallace died. Can't say the same for Maximus.
<HR>

When Maximus dies, he was at peace with himself. He wanted to be reunited with his family in death. The only thing he wanted to do first, was to kill Commodus, and he did that. He had nothing left to live for after that point.I don't think the viewer is supposed to feel pity for Maximus when he died, because he accomplished exactly what he wanted to do.
Old 12-05-00, 01:41 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by RoyalTea:

When Maximus dies, he was at peace with himself. He wanted to be reunited with his family in death. The only thing he wanted to do first, was to kill Commodus, and he did that. He had nothing left to live for after that point.I don't think the viewer is supposed to feel pity for Maximus when he died, because he accomplished exactly what he wanted to do.
<HR>

That's EXACTLY what I got out of it.

Old 12-05-00, 04:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

I thought Braveheart was a tad more contrived than Gladiator, actually both of the stories suck and are manipulative, they just both have great visceral feeling and adrenaline pumping emotions in their war scenes. Personally I liked Gladiator's war/fight scenes more.
Old 12-05-00, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Gallant Pig,
There's no doubt that Braveheart is a drama that's meant to manipulate the audience. However, this movie works for me more than most such dramas...

*SPOILERS*

the scene where WW discovers Robert the Bruce's betrayal is one of the most moving scenes I've ever witnessed...talk about having your gut pummelled from the inside out.

While I enjoyed gladiator (except for the battle scene editing), I didn't find any scenes that really had that effect on me.

Michael

------------------
Look what you've done to me!
Old 12-05-00, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only wanted to see Gladiator because I had heard that it was non stop violence and some good death scenes. I heard wrong.
Old 12-05-00, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I think Russel Crowe comes across as an PRICK in most of his roles and in interviews unlike Mel Gibson. Crowe is MISTER TESTOSTERONE ready to kick butt and steal the girl(oops! did I say that?)

So I can see where folks might not care as much about his character in GLADIATOR.

Plus, although WW was driven by revenge, he was also driven by his fight for freedom for his people.

Maximus SEEMED as if his revenge was more important than the wishes of the dead King....

I also think anyone who didn't know how this movie would end has never seen a movie. So the ending was already figured out when the OPENING CREDITS were rolling.....

[This message has been edited by Giantrobo (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old 12-23-00, 08:13 PM
Cool New Member

Did William Wallace really have an American accent?
I saw Braveheart when it came out but i haven't seen it since. All i can remember about it is WW kissing some whench under a tree and that speech.
Gladiator looks great and that's all i care about really. I must say i enjoyed it more the second time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.