Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Godzilla 2000 ARGHGHGHGH!!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Godzilla 2000 ARGHGHGHGH!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Uh!! Did TOHO really think this movie was good????? What are they smoking over there?

I can no longer stand by and excuse POOR MOVIE MAKING by calling it "CHARMING"!!!!!
Especially with the GAMERA movies kicking sooo much butt in terms of story and sfx!!!

I have been a G fan for 25 years and I have most if not all of the region 1 G dvds(loyalty to this genre) but this series is just getting crappier by the year!!!
Don't get me wrong, the NEW GODZILLA was nice looking(mouth too big IMHO) and the fire sfx were awesome. And I even give them credit for making him SCARY/creepy(the tunnel scene was great!!) once again and getting away from the silly Godzilla.

But there's no excuse for making a BAD MOVIE!!! Maybe foreign audiences think this movie is up to par, but I could barely get through it. Even in the commentary, you can tell they thought the movie needed MUCH improvement. They tried to be nice about this fact but it was evident.

The American G was hated by many, but it was still a better movie than what TOHO has been kicking out for the last 15 years.

I know that TOHO thinks they can do G better than anyone else but I think that this fact is no longer the case. They need to get better writers in who can keep you glued even when G is not on the screen, better way to feature the sfx, and come up with more interesting monsters.

I mean when G isn't onscreen I'm doing 1 of 3 things: Going to the kitchen, the bathroom, or fast forwarding to get to the good stuff(GODZILLA).

Like I said, using the "Charm of Godzilla movies" excuse is NO LONGER VALID.

We deserve GOOD GODZILLA MOVIES.

------------------
"Cunnilingus and Therapy brought us to this"

Tony Soprano
Old 01-21-01, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought the VCD of Godzilla 2000 and I am actually looking forward to watching it.
By the way, is Gamera 3 on DVD, or VCD?
I just ordered the *ahem* *cough* VHS version because I didn't know if there were any decent versions of it out.
Old 01-21-01, 01:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just rented this last night, thinking it would be a fun movie. i remembered the previews made it look pretty cool. i was hoping for something, anything better then the pathetic american version. ok, that said, this movie was totally stupid. we sat through less than half of it, and turned it off. characters, dialogue, action, etc was about as bad as it gets. we had put down several beers and still couldn't enjoy this movie... stay away..

Old 01-21-01, 02:28 PM
Cool New Member

I enjoyed it. The FX were decent, aside from a few poor bluescreen shots and some weak CG. The plot was ... well, it was a Godzilla plot, like all the rest. The only Godzilla movie with any pretense to being 'about something' was the first one, which was actually a well-written, well-made film before they stuck Raymond Burr in it.

I thought G2K had better direction than most in the series. Plot and dialog are impossible to guage, since we're getting them both filtered through a complete English rewrite. The English voice acting seemed deliberately campy, even though the commentary track made it seem like they actually took it seriously. The real flaw was structural: G is gone for the center half hour of the movie. Measuring it against the entire series, I think it stands near the top, frankly. I mean, really: go back and watch the old ones without the nostalgia. G2K was simply better movie- making than most of them.

Is it up to big-budget American standards? No, but I liked it better than any Michael Bay movie ever made or ever likely to be made.

Old 01-21-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I liked G2000 in general but I just think TOHO is doesn't care much about the character anymore. It's like they have a diamond on their hands but they don't know what to do with it.

Another pet peeve I have is how they never show the TRUE destruction Godzilla brings...I mean are you going to tell me G stomps and burns Japan and NO GETS KILLED? I had always heard TOHO wouldn't allow that to happen. In the original G killed many and they showed and or implied it.

I hear in the next G movie you will see more G than in G2000. Even the commentary mentions this error(no G for 30 minutes) in judgement by the director of G2000.

TOHO needs to raise the bar....especially since the GAMERA movies have pushed it so high.

In the latest batch of Gamera movies you never really get bored like in the latest G films.....
Old 01-22-01, 09:41 AM
Cool New Member

I agree about the new Gamera movies: they are certainly better made. (Which is ironic because the worst of the early Gamera movies made the "Minya" Godzilla movies look like Cries and Whispers.) I'd say a fair assessment of G2K is that it's uneven, but when it does move into full gear it delivers.

Old 01-22-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, are any of the Gamera movies on VCD, or DVD?
Old 01-23-01, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by smokedragon:
So, are any of the Gamera movies on VCD, or DVD?
<HR>
I believe these are not on DVD not even in region 2, but I hope someone more informed can clarify this.

------------------
"You had me at hello.....tear." --Dr. Evil
Old 01-23-01, 03:06 PM

Theres box set coming soon (Release Date: 03/23) in Japan (so it will be region coded 2)

This 5 DVD set (303 minutes total) includes Gamera: The Guardian Of The Universe (1995), Gamera 2: Advent Of Legion (1996), and Gamera 3: The Awakening Of Iris (1999) plus 2 DVDs worth of extras.

All movies will have english sub.

Cant wait to get this box set!!!

Fee
Old 01-23-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fee,
Thanks for the heads up and welcome to the forum.

------------------
"You had me at hello.....tear." --Dr. Evil
Old 01-23-01, 05:49 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone know what online retailers plan to carry the Gamera box? DDDHouse? Poker?

I think all the Gamera movies are on VCD now, no subs if I recall.
Old 01-23-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You forgot to mention that the box set will cost $200+!!!

And Sanjuro, I'm sure www.cdjapan.com will have it. If not, you can find an e-tailer which will via http://www.animeondvd.com

Finally, Gamera 2 is available on Japanese-dubbed, English-subbed VCD in HK. Don't know where you could buy it.