Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How does The Killer: CC look?

Supermallet
01-18-01, 12:34 AM
I just got the Fox Lorber Killer disc, and, I have to say, I'm not very happy with it. I mean, the movie is great, don't get me wrong, but the print is heavily scratched and low detail. Now I realize that the movie probably wouldn't look pristine in the best of times, but there are probably better prints existing. I was wondering how the CC version of it looked. Same goes for Hard Boiled: CC, I got that Fox Lorber disc, too, I just haven't watched it yet. And, do the CC laserdiscs of these movies have the same transfer as the DVDs, or are they lower quality?

------------------
"Sometimes I dream I'm in a musical...because in a musical nothing dreadful ever happens."

bboisvert
01-18-01, 01:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Suprmallet:
I was wondering how the CC version of it looked.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if you did an A/B comparison between the pictures on Criterion and Fox Lorber, you'd have a hard time telling the difference. They look basically the same.

And, the CC DVDs were made from the same transfers as the laserdiscs, so those look similar as well -- although the DVDs look a bit sharper.

[This message has been edited by bboisvert (edited January 17, 2001).]

Matt Stevens
01-18-01, 04:16 PM
Same transfers, slightly different MPEG2 mastering, but I prefer the Criterion version, as it has the John Woo approved translation.

I sold mine on eBay some time ago for a nice profit, as I still have the CLV and CAV laserdiscs. Until we see real anamorphic versions, that's just fine by me.