Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: DUNE Sci-Fi miniseries

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: DUNE Sci-Fi miniseries

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-01, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get the SCI-FI Channel here in Canada, but I have seen the trailer and it looks remarkably good. I might pick it up or at least rent it when it comes out on DVD if your opinions are good.

Well, what did you think of it? Too long? Too cheesy? etc...

[This message has been edited by paratize (edited January 14, 2001).]
Old 01-15-01, 01:44 AM

Well I think I'm in the minority here but I didn't like the series at all. It has at times some very bad acting. After seeing this series it made me really appreciate the movie. Really Really appreciate it.

But after seeing it posted and re-posted in the news groups I believe more people liked than not. Go figure.

I can't reccomend it.
Old 01-15-01, 08:16 AM

It took me a while to get past the "Babylon 5" look and feel but overall I'd recommend it if you're a fan of the novel. It's a much more accurate representation of the book than the motion picture was but I have to say that I agree with the poster who said he preferred the original movie.

Summary - I'll buy both DVD's.

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-15-01, 09:54 AM

I like the extended "Alan Smithee" version of the movie much better than this long made for tv version, but it is worth a viewing simply because it is different and there will be sequels to the tv version made. It is a good buy if you are a Dune fan and like sci-fi.
Old 01-15-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The miniseries was not terrible, but it was definitely a disappointment. From day one when they announced this miniseries, there have been tons of updates on the official site (interviews, etc.) with the creators saying how awesome this was going to be. It was supposed to "correct" all of the problems of the Lynch movie and remain true to the novel. I think that ultimately they failed.

The first night of this mini was an absolute mess. I can't imagine anyone who isn't already familiar with the story making past the first hour of this new version. And I really don't see how this versions is "closer" to the book than the other version. Major characters like Dr. Yeuh and Thufir Hawat are barely in this version -- to the point where it may have helped the series to just eliminate them as characters...

However, there were some really good things in it to (and the final 2 nights started getting MUCH better). I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel miniseries (which is supposed to cover DUNE MESSIAH and CHILDREN OF DUNE).

Overall, I think that neither version (1984 or 2000) is great, but both have wonderful moments. I'm definitely getting the DVD because I will watch it every now and then. Looks like the DVD is going to be great (2-DVD set, extended cut, extras).
Old 01-16-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Ok. I admittedly haven't watched the whole thing even though a friend taped it for me -- I started on the first episode, and ended up fast forwarding through most of it (never made it to the 2nd and 3rd episodes).

My opinions: Acting -- this is abysmal. I mean, I didn't much like the Lynch dune originally because it strayed (IMO) too much from the book, but at least he had some good actors/actresses to work with. I couldn't stand to watch the people in the miniseries -- my eyes just about started bleeding, the acting was so bad (esp. Paul -- of all people). I mean seriously, none of them were the way they should have been.

maybe I'll get around to watching the rest of it at some point, but frankly, the actors did such a bad job that I'm very put off the whole thing. The special effects weren't wonderful either, and the costumes were just ridiculous.

those are my first impressions anyways. I'm definitely gonna pick up the Lynch version now, and unless I get around to watching ep. 2 & 3 and they show improvement, I'm not touching the miniseries.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-16-01, 06:34 PM

Dune (84 version) is one of my favorite movies. Leaves alot out of the book version, but I quite liked it on it's own merits.

Was anxiously awaiting the TV series...in fact, had another friend come over to watch it on my big screen together.

The acting was so bad it caught me off guard. As another reviewer said, Paul was one of the worst. The actor who played Paul sounded like he could care less and was just reading the script. That was the worst part of the series. The acting is abysmal, especially the lead character.

The scenes looked very strange to me. Things were not as dark and serious as the movie or the book. Neither of us thought the scenery was even close to representing the correct look to represent the book. Seemed cheesy...like a bad soap opera. Huge wide-open brightly-lit spaces on ships and such without any logical reason. The "put your hand in the box" scene was simply too embarassing to watch without rolling my eyes.

The last thing that stood out was that we thought this was supposed to closely match the book. Did I miss something? Seems to leave quite a bit out. Some of the principal characters were heavily ignored.

All in all, I was disappointed. The first episode was extremely poor and embarassingly bad at times. The 2nd and 3rd episodes were much better, but still weren't that good. All in all a poor effort IMHO, but still interesting to watch if you are a fan. I'm glad I saw it...wouldn't want to own it though.

I would recommend renting first...might want to skip right to the 2nd and 3rd episode.
Old 01-17-01, 03:02 AM

Maybe its just me but I've ALWAYS considered William Hurt to be one of the WORST actors around. The guy seems to think he is sh#$ too which is a riot. I watched half of part one and just couldn't take it, he put me to sleep. The dude playing Paul was pretty lifeless too. I'll take the Lynch version although I admit I didn't watch the mini series in full, if you want to fall asleep fast and have no Nytol...flip to any William Hurt scene.

<main hanger> cue crappy CGI backdrop left over from Wing Commander 3

William Hurt (Duke Leto) enters:

:::Glassy stare, booger in nostril:::

"Paul...we...are...leaving...for...arrakis"