Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Pink Floyd's - THE WALL

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered The Wall via Columbia House. I am a huge Pink Floyd fan but I have yet to see this movie. I love "The Wall" cd. A couple questions: Is this movie Dolby Digital 5.1? Does it have good surround mixes? Also, I've read reviews that it is very dark and negative. Am I going to be able to sleep after watching this movie? Thanks!
Old 01-11-01, 11:39 AM

NOT SEEN THE FILM ON DVD YET , BUT I HEAR IT'S LOADED WITH EXTRAS & IT LOOKS & SOUNDS FANTASTIC.

<CAPS Off...sorry.>

I have the VHS & have seen it many times.....& here's the deal:

1) It's a great movie....

2) It's even better if you a huge or moderate PINK FLOYD fan.

3)<and this is important>> If your are at all mentally fragile or going through any kind of painfull heartbreaking **** right now ,I suggest you watch it with a few friends to avoid the possibility of you hanging yourself in the bathroom immediatly afterwards.

It's not the happiest of movies....

ENJOY!!
Old 01-11-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a thoroughly excellent DVD. It was one of the first I bought, and being a fan of the film I can safely say that the only way you can beat it is by seeing it in 70mm six-track Dolby Surround in a huge theatre--which I have have had the pleasure of doing

If you've never seen it, you are in for a very intense experience. Some of the imagery may not jibe with your own mental images from listening to the Wall album, but you won't soon forget it. It is an extremely downbeat film but very very beautiful nonetheless.
Old 01-11-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch it a couple of times. If it just doesn't make sense, get real drunk and watch it, it'll make perfect sense then.

This method worked for me.
Old 01-11-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As others have said, this is a great dvd. Excellent picture and 5.1 sound. The film is interesting, but flawed. It works a lot better if you're familiar with the album, and with the lives of Roger Waters and Syd Barrett. The movie is VERY dark and depressing. The imagery is quite excellent though, especially some of the animated sequences (especially the "What shall we do now" bit), and this dvd has possibly the best extras on any dvd I own. Not in terms of sheer quantity, but quality. The commentary track is absolutely outstanding--funny and informative. Plus one really good 40 minute making-of, and a decent 25-minute making of. Other extras are a trailer, a deleted scene for "Hey You," a few short photo galleries, and a music video for Another Brick in the Wall part 2.

All in all, a great dvd.
Old 01-11-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Heat 1:
Watch it a couple of times. If it just doesn't make sense, get real drunk and watch it, it'll make perfect sense then.

<HR>

Or watch it after smoking a little of your favorite blend of, ahem, tobacco

"It all makes perfect sense
Expressed in dollars and cents
Pounds, shillings, and pence"

Old 01-12-01, 03:49 PM
Max

This was one of my first and possibly one of my best dvds to date! I still remember listening to the album (can you believe it!) and thinking how great the movie was going to be, way back when...and it was!

Its a great way to show off your player as I think its one of the best sounding movies I have...crank it up!

------------------
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Old 01-14-01, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Heat 1:

<HR>

LOL!! I used to do this too. Only way to watch The Wall.

------------------
THE SE7ENTH WARRIOR OF THE 'OTHER' FORUM...
Old 01-14-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen this movie several times. Very hard to understand watching it once....Maybe it'll help with some herbal sense enhancers....lol! I didn't need any...just watched it over and over and over again and paid close attention.

I tried really hard to understand the meaning and actually wrote a paper on the movie in a college english class. This was the only paper I ever got an A on.....I hated english.
Old 01-14-01, 11:28 PM

You might want to try turning on the subtitles with this. I found I enjoyed it much more with them on. Great movie and sounds absolutely amazing
Old 01-15-01, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by guildda:
You might want to try turning on the subtitles with this. I found I enjoyed it much more with them on. Great movie and sounds absolutely amazing
<HR>

I did that too. I often watch movies I have seen before with subtitles on just to see if there is anything I missed.

This is a great dvd. I saw the movie for the first time around the same time I started listening to Pink Floyd so the movie for me is what I think of when I hear anything from THE WALL. It will definitely give you some visual refernces for the music.
It works both ways. The movie will mean more to you if you know and like the music, AND the music will mean more to you when you are familiar with the movie. Definitely one of the better films of the 80s.
Old 01-15-01, 10:10 AM

It's a fantastic mind FAKK! Great DVD.

-Gonnosuke