Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Needed: Breaking the Waves/ Dolores Claiborne

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Needed: Breaking the Waves/ Dolores Claiborne

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-00, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello fellow dvd fans;

I need a review for Breaking the Waves and Dolores Claiborne; your input is greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays

------------------
"Dean Keaton once told me I don't believe in God but I'm afraid of him,well I believe in God and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
Old 12-29-00, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...for BTW go here:

http://yaleherald.com/archive/xxiii/.../breaking.html

...for DC go here:

http://www.johnhartnett.net/_fdolore.htm

! !

[This message has been edited by Hendrik (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 10:04 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DOLORES CLAIBORNE is a superb movie (one of King's best) and a pretty decent DVD. The movie approached King's text similarly to how Kubrick approached THE SHINING, namely that certain bold changes would need to be made to the original text to retain the impact from the book as it was translated into a visual medium. What we end up with is a film that doesn't follow King's every word, but keeps all of the thrills, chills, and emotional impact and resonance of the original novel.

The DVD has its pros and cons, the con being that the disc is nil on extras--oh, there's some little b.s. text info on the cast and how they did the eclipse sequence, but no trailers ( ), documentaries, commentaries...nothing. On the other hand, the film itself is what it's all about (right?) and as far as that's concerned, we get a very nice print of the film with quality compression. The sound is only a Dolby Digital 2.0 track, but it gets the job done and arguably wouldn't have been enhanced overmuch by a 5.1 mix. I do think this film deserves more than it got in terms of DVD treatment, but what we do get is definitely worth owning.

[This message has been edited by Filmmaker (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Breaking the Waves is one of my Top 10 of the 90's. Emily Watson gives the single best acting performance that I have seen this decade. The film is not for the faint of heart, however, and deals with heavy emotional issues (to say the least). It is disturbing and unnerving in it's subject matter. It does not conform to standard American cinematic style, subject matter, or plot resolution. I am also a big fan of Stellan Skarsgard (sp?) and the other Dogme films I have seen, so that may help explain my holding this film in such high esteem.

I give this a 10 of 10 (Believe it or not!)

------------------
Glenn's DVD List
Old 12-29-00, 04:31 PM
Banned

'Breaking the Waves' is one of the best films of the 90's imo.
Old 12-29-00, 06:41 PM

"Dolores Claiborne" is an extremely under-rated movie. I thought it was great and I believe the DVD has commentary by the director Taylor Hackford.

"Breaking The Waves" was a very good movie (Emily Watson is amazing), but I NEVER want to see it again. Very disturbing like most of Lars Van Trier's films. It doesn't have a lot of re-play value.
Old 12-30-00, 11:03 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
37 In A Row is correct--there is a commentary track by Taylor Hackford...my mistake. Still, they could have given us a trailer, for crying out loud...