Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Timecode

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-00, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone tell me a little bit about this film? I know nothing about it.
Old 12-18-00, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have it yet (just ordered it), but here's what I can tell you.

The film actually consists of four films, shot in real-time, all playing at the same time. The screen is divided into four quadrants, with each showing an hour and a half of one person's life (and as I understand it, all four lives are inextricably intertwined.) The story is basically a present-day drama, from what I understand.

When shown in the theatre, all four films were shown just like on the DVD, but the audio track only matched up with one film at a time in order to draw the audience's attention to it. The focus kept switching every few minutes to keep the story moving along (although you could still see the other three people's stories being played out.) With the DVD, however, you'll have the option of switching audio streams at will; although you see all four films play concurrently, you're in control of which story you hear.

Sounds like a great concept, eh?

The reviews actually haven't been that good. I guess the story is kinda weak and the acting is supposed to be a bit off. But the concept sounds really gee-whiz cool.

When I've received it and watched it (won't be 'til after Christmas, with finals going on and everything), I'll let you know what I thought.

- David Stein

------------------
I live by the theory that I'm immortal. By the time I'm proven wrong, it won't matter anyway.
Old 12-19-00, 01:40 PM

It's almost worth a look due to Tristar's innovative special features. "Time Code" doesn't contain much of a plot, but is more focused on its interesting presentation - 4 separate stories that are mainly improvised, taking place over the span of 90 minutes with no edits. The story is definitely a bit weak, but the movie remains interesting.

The extra features include an entirely additional version of the movie (called "version 1" while the theatrical cut is "version 15") - the additional cut is unrated. Commentary is available from director Mike Figgis on both versions of the movie - and there are other features such as a documentary and trailer.

By far, the coolest part of the disc remains the ability - if you choose so, to watch the movie and be able to change the audio perspective to any one of the 4 squares at any time with your remote control.

You can read my full film/dvd review at the link below.

DVD REVIEW: Time Code