Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Inconsisten DVDTalk Review Ratings

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Inconsisten DVDTalk Review Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-00, 05:12 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ultra-uber-extra packed Crit. Beastie Boys DVD which has literally hours and hours of extras and enormous scope gets 4 stars, while the hacked up 5 minute-at-a-time snippets of documentaries on A Bug's Life Collect get 5 stars.

WTF? Aaron can you explain?
Old 12-08-00, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gallant Pig:
The ultra-uber-extra packed Crit. Beastie Boys DVD which has literally hours and hours of extras and enormous scope gets 4 stars, while the hacked up 5 minute-at-a-time snippets of documentaries on A Bug's Life Collect get 5 stars.

WTF? Aaron can you explain?
<HR>

No offense, but it's called an "opinion." Obviously, Aaron feels that the extras on A Bug's Life:CE are a notch above those on the Beastie Boys Anthology:CC. He's entitled to his opinion, so are you. I, however, haven't seen either disc, so I won't comment on either.

------------------
Teacher: "Whose calculator can tell me what 7x8 is?"
Student: "Low battery."
--"The Simpsons"
Old 12-10-00, 11:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Scott, rating the movie itself should be subjective, however the disc quality should be objective, and have consistency if his reviews are to be considered valid. If you had both discs you'd know that the Beasties extras are unlimited, while Bug's Life are a bunch of short documentary clips, and often show the same clips from the movie over and over and over again. Also note that Tarzan and Toy Story have the same sort of extras, and possibly MORE of those extras than Bug's Life, yet they get less than 5 stars. If DVDTalk want people to take their reviews seriously, they need to fix these consistancy problems. Also, notice they don't post an equipment listing, which makes the reviews even less valid.
Old 12-11-00, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might wanna consider the time frames in which they were released....Bugs Life SE came out awhile ago when huge, two disc extra sets weren't the norm, but the exception. Certainly since Bugs Life has been released, we've seen an increasing amount of extra material added to alot of the bigger films (Boogie Nights, Tarzan, Seven, Toy Story Ultimate, Fight Club, ID4, etc) and some not so big films (Supergirl). Each newly released dvd is then judged by those which have come before it...

Hence, Bugs Life gets a 5, coz there's an enormous amount of extras in comparsion of other dvds already out when it was released.

Beastie Boys, released during a time period in which lots of dvds have tons of extras, gets a 4.

It would be kinda ....."strange" for lack of a better word to expect reviewers to predict how the extras on a disc will stack up to those which have yet to be released.

Had Aaron just reviewed Bugs Life, this would be different, but I believe he reviewed it quite awhile ago, when it was originally released - I don't see the need to "re-write" the review now, but as you pointed out, had his review just been written, or had the dvd just been released, I'm sure Aaron would've taken that point into consideration...but hey, I'm not him, so I can't be positive.

Earl Cressey, DVDTalk Reviewer
Old 12-11-00, 02:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Earl, OK that makes senes and kinda what I figured, however I'm not sure why Beasties today would be just average in terms of extras compared to other special editions?? It should at least be 4.5 stars, if not 5 stars. Oh well!

Don't think I'm bashing you guys, it's tough love
Old 12-11-00, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also in agreement that 'A Bug's Life:CE' deserves a higher mark that 'Beastie Boys:Criterion'.
Old 12-12-00, 12:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Peat, are you nuts???

Wait, are we talking about quality of extras or amount of extras? Quality is one thing, but THe beastie boy crit. has a lot more extras than Bug's life (and better quality in my opinion).
Old 12-12-00, 11:19 AM

Although I'm not a big fan of the Beastie Boys, I have seen the DVD and it's phenomenal.

I too am perplexed how one could not give this DVD 5 stars unless one did not give it a good review.

Whether you like the Beastie Boys or not, this DVD is one of the top 10 DVD's ever made as far as extras and features go. It ranks right up there with T2 and The Abyss in my book. It is a LEAST as good as Bugs Life.

Maybe we should demand a recount?