Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Sopranos and Sex in the City reviews wanted.

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Sopranos and Sex in the City reviews wanted.

Old 12-05-00, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a cable TV tightass and don't have HBO,
how are these two cable TV series?
I have heard alot of good reviews about the Sopranos in particular.
I am a huge fan of Goodfellas, Godfather Trilogy, Scarface and those type of ganster flicks, given this will the Sopranos satisfy
me? Any good meaty violence in the show, paricularily the disregard for human life type of violence, you know shooting people like they are dogs type of stuff?

Sex in the City sounds like a good series to see some hot chicks, but I am guessing the show is geared towards woman , is this correct?
Thanks
Old 12-06-00, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts
I'd imagine your talking about the DVDs. As a guy, I enjoyed sex in the city and I don't enjoy Friends, or Melrose Place: that type of show. (Although I do enjoy ER/Frasier, Will and Grace etc if that helps.) The DVD does suffer from poor transfer, the discs are very grainy and the picture is fairly soft.

I've seen the Sopranos a few times during the free weekends and such and really enjoyed the show, enough so that I considered getting HBO myself for awhile, but with all the DD I have I too could not justify $50 for cable on top of Netflix and other purchases. The DVDS are in widescreen and may even be anamorphic so I'd expect a much better transfer for this show than Sex in the City got.
Here is a review of the Sopranos: http://dvdfile.com/software/review/d...rstseason.html

edit to add review link.

[This message has been edited by jpcamb (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 12-07-00, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
With regards to the poor transfers on Sex and the City, they get better as the episodes progress. The pilot is very grainy. The further you get into the season, the better they start to look.

However, I don't believe that this is due to the transfers. It's obvious that the pilot was shot for little money and not under the best lighting conditions. I believe that the grain in this and early episodes are from the way the show was shot. Therefore, the DVD could not so anything to improve upon what is a problematic source print.
Old 12-07-00, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's called 16 MM. It's inherently grainy.

------------------
Electric2k