Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Tooth & Nail Videography 1993-1999 -- Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Tooth & Nail Videography 1993-1999 -- Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-00, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, I have to say, that i view my dvds on a 15" computer monitor, using only the basic Harmon/Kardon speakers that came with it -- I'm saving up for a better system, but I buy too many dvds.

Ok:
Total # of Music Videos: 55

Bands Featured (in order of appearance):
Tooth and Nail Bands: MxPx (7 videos), Danielson Famile (2), Driver Eight (2), Ghoti Hook (2), Starflyer 59 (2), Stavesacre (2), Ninety Pound Wuss (1), Crux (1), Dogwood (1), Fanmail (1), Havalina Rail Co. (1), Huntingtons (1), Joe Christmas (1), Mike Knott (1), Morella's Forest (1), Outer Circle (1), Puller (1), Slick Shoes (1), Value Pac (1), Velour 100 (1).
Solid State Bands: Living Sacrifice (1), Strongarm (1), Stretch Arm Strong (1), Training for Utopia (1).
BEC Bands: The OC Supertones (8), Plankeye (5), Joy Electric (3), The Dingees (1), Flight 180 (1), Fold Zandura (1), Project 86 (1)

As you can clearly see, this dvd contains something for every taste of music -- from punk to ska to big band to emo to hardcore to techno to "plain" alternative, etc.

I found the videos to be well produced overall. I had seen a few of them previously on video (I believe all of them are currently available on Tooth & Nail's various video compilations.) I did also have a chance to view the dvd back in July at Cornerstone Festival at the T&N booth. It seems to me that the setup of the final version is the same as that which was displayed then.

Not having any dolby capable sound system, I am unable to rate the videos on that level, however I can say that they sound as good or better as the identical songs I own on CD.
*edit*
At the end of the Supertones video "Unite", the sound drops and sort of shakes -- sounds really bad -- for a couple of seconds. Kinda sounds like someone bumped player during the transfer or something. However, that was the only video in which i could discern any kind of audio breakup.
*edit*

In terms of video, I noticed a couple intances of pixellation or breakup, but I believe that was more related to my player skipping than the dvd itself.

Where the menu is concerned however, I was very disappointed. The only options to view the videos are to view every single video in the order of bands that I listed above, or all the videos of 1 of the 2 specific labels I listed (Solid state is included with BEC) in the identical order, or to view the videos of a single band in the chronological order by the album the song was released on.
For a dvd like this, with the sheer number of videos, a feature like random chapter playing or something similar would have been a major plus. I don't know if some dvd players come with features like that -- I couldn't find any on mine. Each video constitutes a single chapter so an option to skip randomly from video to video would have been really cool.

Overall, I highly recommend this dvd -- for 17.50 from Amazon you can't go wrong -- well over 2hrs of music -- heck, i hadn't actually heard half the bands on this dvd before i got it, and I found some great new ones to check out.
My Favorite Videos: MxPx "Chick Magnet", Ghoti Hook "Walking On Sunshine", Starflyer 59 "No New Kind of Story", Crux "Wasted Day", Dogwood "Feel the Burn", Havalina Rail Co "Diamond in the Fish", Mike Knott "Tatoo", Huntingtons "No Pool Party Tonight", Project 86 "Pipe Dream", Joy Electric "Children of the Lord"

------------------
"What's that?"

"It's a cocktail. You asked for a cocktail."

"No. I asked you to give me a refreshing drink. I wasn't expecting a f***ing rainforest. You could fall in love with an orangutang in there."

-- LS&2SB

edited to add note about "Unite" video sound.

[This message has been edited by Tuan Jim (edited August 26, 2000).]
Old 08-28-00, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the review.
I have this DVD.
You and me might be the only ones to own it.
Regretably mine is still in its shrinkwrap.
Now I know what is on the inside.
It really isn't my musical style/taste.
But I like the message(s) this music has ... compared with the alternate choices ...
Old 10-25-00, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info Tuan.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16