Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

reviews wanted from non-anime fans for Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

reviews wanted from non-anime fans for Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-00, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not an anime fan, but have noticed that Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue get great reviews generally from anime fans. I have really only liked one anime movie: Akira - most of the other stuff I've seen hasn't been even close to that experience. Could anyone comment on those movies and perhaps recommend other animes that a non-anime fan might enjoy but has certainly missed. I'm just trying to open up a new perspective - I did that once with HK movies and now I'm a diehard fan of them. Let's see if this gets us anywhere.

------------------
Sleeper - dreaming life away -
Old 10-14-00, 03:21 AM

I don't consider myself an automatic anime fan, but I really enjoyed Ghost in the Shell. I quite liked Akira, but Ninja Scroll has to be my favourite so far.

I'm interested to see what recommendations people make...
Old 10-14-00, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Didn't particularly care for Akira (the storyline was muddled and plodding) though the animation was good.

Ghost in the Shell I thought was good -- not great, but good. Felt like the story could have used more meat, and some of the animation seemed lacking.

Loved Perfect Blue -- very effective thriller with some pretty good animation. Especially recommended if you're a Dario Argento fan (there are some similarities to Deep Red in the film).

For the record, I'm not really an anime fan -- in fact, I find most of the stuff unwatchable.
Old 10-14-00, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Not a fan of anime, I do love the artwork
though.
I hated Akira as it skipped sooo much from
the manga.
Ghost in the Shell I really didn't enjoy
either. I can't remember exactly what I
didn't like because I traded the dvd.

The last film I didn't see. So no comment.

Neitzl
Old 10-14-00, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved Akira.

Thought Ghost in the Shell was OK at best.

Liked Perfect Blue quite a bit.

Others you may want to check out:
The Castle of Cagliostro
Record of Lodoss War
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop

- David Stein

------------------
Be cause you told me to drill sear gant !
Old 10-14-00, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
not a fan of anime but not against it either...

i have not seen Perfect Blue.

i thought Ghost in the Shell was way overrated, boring & tedious.
Old 10-14-00, 09:28 PM
Cool New Member

Up until last month I had NEVER seen an anime feature. Me and my little sister, who is 12, were browsing through the SciFi/Horror section at Best Buy and she pointed out PERFECT BLUE. She said it looked cool. It looked semi-interesting so i picked it up and bought it. We got home and started watching it. Then I realized that this is DEFINITLY NOT a kiddie flick AT ALL! Full nudity and a simulated rape scene in a friggin cartoon! WOW! But, I ended up really liking the movie (my sis never finished watching it, i kicked her out b/c of the content), and the features are pretty cool too, down to the corny music video LOL. VERY good suspense flick, very bloody, very fun. Crappy ending, but I got over it. B+
Old 10-14-00, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have thought a person who doesn't care for anime would hate Akira. The story and pacing is very weird and arty.

Ghost in the Shell has a clearer story, but it's basically one huge and not at all subtle philosophical discussion. Besides the first action-heavy 10 minutes, the director, composer and screenwriter work like HELL to make sure you CANNOT enjoy it like a 'regular' film. By regular I mean being able to watch it as a straightforward story, in the mainstream vein with an intro, a middle that builds momentum and finally a satisfying conclusion. Instead, there's just tons of tiresome discussion about the human condition, an anticlimatic action scene, more philosophizing and then it ends. Very unsatisfying movie IMHO. Contrast with Terminator 2 which explores some meaningful (and similar) themes, but you can still watch it like regular film if you don't want to look too deep. Impossible to do with Ghost in the Shell.

But if you like that kind of film, then it might be for you. Just saying "I don't like anime" makes it difficult to recommend movies. We still don't know if your preference is for mainstream blockbusters or small dramas.
Old 10-15-00, 02:04 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by brianluvdvd:

i thought Ghost in the Shell was way overrated, boring & tedious.
<HR>

That's what you get when you hack together a film from an already overpretentious manga.

Sleeper:

Out of the 2 you mentioned, Perfect Blue is the better of the 2 story-wise but I thought the animation was lacking; just looked too herky-jerky(sp?) in some scenes. For feature films, I would go with Castle of Cagliostro as stated by another or Grave of the Fireflies. IMO, the best anime are those in series format whether as OVA or TV: Cowboy Bebop, Slayers, Tenchi Muyo, Trigun, Battle Athletes (Victory), etc...

Mayniac
Old 10-15-00, 09:12 PM

Thanks.

You have been very helpful. I feel less interested in buying Perfect Blue and Ghost in the Shell after the comments, which is actually a good thing, saves me $50 - guess I'll try to find them for rent, somewhere, or wait until the prizes drop. I don't like the idea of animated rape on screen, and if the animation isn't that great after all, why get it?

Still, I find the description of The Grave of the Fireflies interesting - it seems everyone loves that one.

If everyone wants to still change my mind about those movies, I'm still listening.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sleeper (edited October 15, 2000).]
Old 10-15-00, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I haven't seen Perfect Blue. I did have Ghost in the Shell -- didn't like it much. Some nice visuals here and there but overall the story just didn't do it for me. Pretty boring overall other than a few good action scenes.

A good anime Movie that I've read good recommendations for is Grave of the Fireflies. I picked it up at Columbia House but haven't watched it yet. Ebert has an excellent info/review on it at his site. Looks to be very good.

Tuan Jim

------------------
"Think of the Internet as a pub at chucking out time. Act like a prick and you'll get a glass in your face. Act nice... and you'll probably still get a glass in your face. It's just a question of how big the glass is and how hard someone hits you with it." - Andy
(www.**************.com)
Old 10-15-00, 09:58 PM

I thought Ghost..Shell was really good if you haven't seen much anime and weren't really hyped up for it, like me when I first watched it.

Perfect Blue is great, it's like a really weird and quite violent animated Hitchcock film.

Another great anime film is Ninja Scroll. Lots of violence and cool fight scenes, and the whole movie in general was pretty interesting.

I'm an anime fan now, but I've only been one for a few weeks so when I saw these movies I was pretty much a newbie. They got me hooked, however. However, I've found that- at least for me, the anime series (as opposed to the films) just seem better in general. You should try Cowboy Bebop. Out of all the stuff I've tried so far, that's pretty much the best.

------------------
Coming up next on FOX news- a certain television advertisement has been found to cause violent seizures and even fatalities in older viewers. More on this story after these messages...
Old 10-16-00, 10:39 AM

Golgo 13 should be on DVD. Now that's a classic Anime.
Old 10-17-00, 01:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last night I bought MY FIRST ANIME FILM! I got Ghost in the Shell on DVD. Other then Robotech when I was a kid, this was the only anime I ever sat down and watched in its entirety, and I must say I really enjoyed it a lot. If you like sci-fi I recomend it wholeheartedly.

I INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFO BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE APRECIATED IT BACK WHEN I HAD NEVER SEEN AN ANIME BEFORE (I do not intend to stereotype)

I am not a tech-head/cyberpunk/pimple-faced-naked-girl-cartoon-fetishist/scifi-convention-go'er/comic-book-collector. I don't even like The Matrix. I have a pretty refined film taste. But I have a soft spot for good entertainment and this movie entertained me a lot (and it is thought provoking). I used to fret that these films had a narrow apeal limited to super fans who were in some kind of secret unspoken anime society. That may still be the case, but Ghost in the Shell is a successful film in all respects. It may just be a mainstream crossover hit but I loved it and intend to investigate the anime universe a little more.
Old 10-17-00, 05:27 PM

Ghost in the Shell is ther perfect Demo disc for great sound in an animated flick.

I could also go as far as to say the It has THE BEST sound I've ever heard in an animated movie.
Old 10-18-00, 01:17 AM

So these are the must have for a good introduction to anime DVD?

Must have:
1) Princess Mononoke
2) Grave of the Fireflies
3) Perfect Blue
4) Ghost in the Shell
5) Ninja Scroll

Perhaps must have:
6) The Castle of Cagliostro
7) Cowboy Bebop (5 DVDs = complete series?)

Totally must have:
When Akira comes out 2001: Akira!

Why is it that those titles are so expensive? All of them are about $24 after discount at amazon.com! Smells like Disney.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sleeper (edited October 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sleeper (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old 10-18-00, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sleeper:
So these are the must have for a good introduction to anime DVD?

Must have:
1) Princess Mononoke
2) Grave of the Fireflies
3) Perfect Blue
4) Ghost in the Shell
5) Ninja Scroll

Perhaps must have:
6) The Castle of Cagliostro
7) Cowboy Bebop (5 DVDs = complete series?)

Totally must have:
When Akira comes out 2001: Akira!

Why is it that those titles are so expensive? All of them are about $24 after discount at amazon.com! Smells like Disney.

<HR>

Cowboy bebop is 6 dvds -- #6 comes out next month.

You can find them for about $20 on average from express.com or buy.com.

You could probably get a pretty good deal ordering a bunch with that new buy.com coupon. At any rate, Princess Mononoke is awesome, but won't be out till Dec. Another one being released in Nov. is "Wings of Honneamise (sp?)". Animeondvd.com has lots more info regarding reviews and such -- basically reviews of all anime released on dvd thus far.

I highly recommend checking it out.

Tuan Jim

PS. for a cheap, decent anime movie, you can find "Armitage Polymatrix" for between 9.99 (lvd.com) and $15 online. it's not bad, but no subtitles either.

------------------
"Think of the Internet as a pub at chucking out time. Act like a prick and you'll get a glass in your face. Act nice... and you'll probably still get a glass in your face. It's just a question of how big the glass is and how hard someone hits you with it." - Andy
(www.**************.com)
Old 10-19-00, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you're looking for a REALLY cheap introduction, you can get Wrath of the Ninja from Columbia House for $.89 plus S&H.
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/014370.html

Don't know anything about the movie - anybody care to synopsize?

------------------
My Collection
Old 10-20-00, 01:35 AM

I prefer good over cheap.

Old 10-20-00, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wrath of the Ninja (aka The Yotoden Movie) is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. It's got all of anime's worst qualities - unintelligible English dub ("Brace up, Miss Miyagi!"), humans with unbelievable abilities (like jumping about 200 feet in the air), and plastic characters - while having none of Japan's subtlety, honor, or intrigue.

Skip it. Go with Ninja Scroll, which is a FANTASTIC anime.

- David Stein

------------------
Ever notice that professional female pool players are incredibly hot, but professional female bowlers look like bulldogs?

Why is that?
Old 10-21-00, 10:26 PM

Perfect Blue is one of the best anime films I have seen in a LONG time. Definitely something a non-anime fan would get into and appreciate. Excellent dubbing, wonderful plot that has twists and turns, adult themes make it more than "a cartoon" (I hate it when people call Anime a cartoon - *shiver*)........pick this disc up, it has some of the best extras on an Anime DVD as well.