Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted - NFL Greatest Moments in Superbowl History

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted - NFL Greatest Moments in Superbowl History

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-00, 01:07 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good? Worth getting? Any re-watchablity to it?
Old 10-11-00, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
I'm looking forward to watching this tonight (hopefully). It's 85 minutes long, with 85 minutes of bonus footage. It should be pretty good.
If anyone has that baseball title, let me know what you think. I didn't order it, because the info listed it as 60 min long with no special features. It turns out it's like 70 min long with 110 (!) minutes of special features, including in-depth looks at all 30 players. It looks like a must-buy for me, when I can find it cheaply.
Old 10-11-00, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Decker:
I'm looking forward to watching this tonight (hopefully). It's 85 minutes long, with 85 minutes of bonus footage. It should be pretty good.
If anyone has that baseball title, let me know what you think. I didn't order it, because the info listed it as 60 min long with no special features. It turns out it's like 70 min long with 110 (!) minutes of special features, including in-depth looks at all 30 players. It looks like a must-buy for me, when I can find it cheaply.
<HR>

I pre-ordered the football, baseball, hockey, and b-ball titles from Amazon. I got shipping confirmation on the football today. It's listed on the site as 4-6 week availability, as are the 3 others, which have not yet shipped, so I don't know when I'll get the others, but when I get the baseball one, I'll post a review. Although at that time, others will have posted their thoughts on them already, I'm sure.

Old 10-12-00, 10:25 PM

Decker, did you watch it? How was it? I am interested too.

Thanks,

Polekat
Old 10-13-00, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much are these ?

When I was at Best Buy today, an advertisement was left on my windshield about these, but no proces were given.
Old 10-13-00, 04:49 PM

Hi,
First of all, these DVDs list at $24.95. They are $19.95 at Best Buy and $16.90 at 800.com.
Second, I sat down to watch the DVD, when wouldn't you know it, Mrs Decker walks in and says "You're not going to watch football NOW are you???" So off went the DVD, on came Access Hollywood (sigh).
I plan on watching it tonight. I'll post my opinions late tonight or tomorrow (unless the Mrs has insomnia or something). Sorry for the delay.
Old 10-15-00, 10:49 AM

OK, I finally got to watch it. The program is quite good, although fairly typical NFL films type stuff. All 34 Superbowls are covered, which is very nice, but instead of going in order, they are divided up by catagories (or chapters) like Best QBs or best defenses. The scene selection choice allows you to access any game, though. The video quality is, of course, better on the most recent games; but even Superbowl I looks more vibrant and clear than I have ever seen before. Some nice interviews are included, with many of the key participants talking about the plays shown. I thought the program was quite well done, and I thoght it was a good, if somewhat dry, program.
The special features were very hard for me to access. It took me a while to figure out why: it's because all the instructions on the booklet are WRONG! They tell you to press the wrong buttons, and mix up what the icons that pop up signify; consequently you're pressing buttons and nothing happens. For the record, when the football icon pops up, you can press "Select" and access special features, usually just an extended snippet of the interview given. This is done in the "Follow the White Rabbit" style of The Matrix. There are a few diagramed plays that you can call up - that's cool. Also, where else can you watch even a clip of the "Superbowl Shuffle" video on DVD? I didn't watch nearly all of these clips, but if you did, it would take a while. Personally, I perfer an easier access to the bonus clips, but this works OK. Also, on a few places (very few, actually), you can access alternate angles or audio (or both). The best use of this is in the Superbowl XXV part (Norwood's missed FG), where you can listen to the regular announces and watch the Giants celebrate, or listen to the Bills announces ("Well, you win some and you lose some") and watch the Bills walk off dejected. It's a nice option I wish they used more.
The sound is DD 5.1 but you only get surrounds with the most recent games. And frankly that NFL films guy can get on your nerves afer 1 1/2 hours, but that's not the DVD's fault.
Overall, I liked the program, and it's nice that they included the extra clips. If you're into the NFL, specifically Superbowl history (as I am, I have two Superbowl I tickets hanging over my sofa), I think you'll find this to be an interesting DVD and a worthwhile purchase.

Now, I think I will get the baseball DVD as well. If anyone has that, let me know what you think. I know I'll prefer Bob Costas as narrator over the NFL films guy.
Old 10-15-00, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the review, Decker. A little disappointed that there's only multi-angle/audio on a few plays, I had the impression it would be on more than that, but hopefully later on, they'll release more NFL Films programs to DVD with more multi-angle/audio options. Again, thanks Decker.

BTW, anyway you can let us know what the icons REALLY mean? Thanks.
Old 10-15-00, 02:04 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by scott27:
BTW, anyway you can let us know what the icons REALLY mean? Thanks.<HR>

Sure. When a little football pops up, hit the select button, and you'll get a sub-menu with a series of short segments or interviews relating to the game or play shown. Usually it's just one or two choices, but occasionally (like the '85 Bears) there are a bunch. As I mentioned, these are done in the "Follow the White Rabbit" style of The Matrix, and can't be accessed seperately (I think, but I could be wrong).
When a goalpost pops up, press the angle button and a grapic will pop up a player's game stats or a game fact.
When a microphone pops up, hit the audio button to change the audio to a team's broadcast booth. (Rare option)
When a camera pops up, hit the angle botton to change to a different video of the play. (Rare option).

Also, from the main menu, you can get game stats (scoring summaries, ect) on all 34 Superbowls.
And, finally, it should be noted, if you're easily distracted, the icons may begin to bother you. They pop up frequently, and I don't think there's a way to turn them off (which is silly, because I think they're on the subtitle track).

I hope this helps.
Old 10-15-00, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks again, Decker.