Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-00, 09:09 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw this one at best buy and was gonna get it.. The last time I saw it was when I was like 8 years old, when it was brand new on HBO, pretty long ago I barely remember the story, just some demonic monster dog that I was always too scared to look at

Anyway, whats the DVD version like? Is the sound/video (my TV is crappy but still..) quality good?

I got Aliens last weekend and was pretty impressed with the quality and it's a 15 year old movie.. so I'm hoping this one is good too
Old 10-13-00, 11:50 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

John Carpenter's remake is an outstanding disc. I'd rate it a DVD Talk Collectors Edition if I had time to type up my notes. Outstanding extras. Great commentary with Carpenter and Kurt Russell. Plus, the MSRP was recently lowered, so it's a true steal now. Check it out.

Todd McFarlane has come out with two "Thing" action figures for his Movie Maniacs line. They're most groovy.

------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY: A study in addiction
MY DVD TALK REVIEWS: Blood, Breasts and Beasts
FANGORIA CON: Weekend of Horrors
Old 10-13-00, 01:50 PM

Fantastic movie!! This is one of the few Carpenter movies I actually like. The disc is very high quality, and the extras are great.
Old 10-13-00, 03:32 PM
Banned

I second that. One of John Carpenter's very best. The ending however suggested that there will be a sequel.. Also, another one of Carpenter's masterpiece is "Asault on Precinct 13". A must have for Carpenter's fan

------------------
San Francisco: We have the world's most crooked street; run by the most crooked politicians.
Old 10-13-00, 04:07 PM

When it comes to Horror/sci-fi this is the standard by which all others must be measured, and rarely to they measure up to this masterpiece.

The Thing has it all, great plot, great acting, great monster, chills, thrills, gore, and that oh so cool music. Maybe the only thing it lacks is a couple of hot bimbos but no movie is perfect. Seriously though, the tension is maddening and the pacing is perfect. No down time or useless filler. It grabs you from the get go with the helicopter scene and never lets go till the end, and even then the outcome is still left to your imagination.

Run back to the store and pick it up for a great Friday the 13th viewing. Its my all time favorite film in this genre and the disc is great and also one of my favorites.