Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: The Bank Dick & Dead Kennedy's In Concert

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: The Bank Dick & Dead Kennedy's In Concert

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-00, 09:50 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone seen these two? I think The Bank Dick is WCF's funniest movie, and one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen.The scene where he falls out of the second story window (audio only) numerous times is a side-splitter. I wonder how the video transfer is?

On the DK's, how's the audio mix. I notice on the box that it is only Dolby Stereo?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-09-00, 01:37 AM

Criterion's bank dick is VERY disappointing. Featureless and a mediocre video/audio transfer. A very ho hum treatment of a great film. I was also offended by the booklet liner notes - it was written by a sports writer (!) that doesn't even think much of Fields as a comedian! However, I am not aware of any other companies releasing this film so we really don't have much choice, do we? Film: A+. Video/Audio: B-. Features : F.

P.s. Criterion's 6 short of Fields is even worse - they demolished "the dentist" short - fuzzy, grain, and some of the other shorts have very poor audio. The bank dick is in much better condition that the 6 shorts - I would wait to see if Image will redo the shorts before I buy Criterion's verion.
Old 10-09-00, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While 6 Short Films doesn't look as good as the Bank Dick, keep in mind that they are much older films. The Pool Sharks and Fatal Glass of Beer look the best of the bunch considering there age. The Dentist looks like $hit because parts of it are transfered from the only remaining 16mm (!) prints because parts of it were origionally censored by the Hayes Office. That being said the sound IS really bad. There are no pops, but the volume is low and there is quit a bit of distortion. You have to listen closly to hear some of the lines. I imagine this is the best these old films will ever sound, they were poorly preserved.
Old 10-09-00, 09:44 PM

DKs Live has a remarkably clear stereo sound mix,when you consider the near atrocious circumstances in which it was recorded.This is one wild gig and the DVD makers probably had to clean some 15 year old vomit off the original master tape!I enjoyed this immensely-but just remember...it's filmed on 4 stationary cameras,and has an always clear,but changable audio quality.
The manager comes on at the end and tells the audience "That was the Dead Kennedys...Good Night...now GET OUT!" it was like...leave my club before you all start breaking my **** .Enjoy this one in the spirit in which it was made.
Old 10-12-00, 10:52 PM
Cool New Member

thanks to all for your responses. i'm going to buy both discs.