Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

need help if whether or not to buy u-571 and pitch black

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

need help if whether or not to buy u-571 and pitch black

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-00, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please give opinions about both movies!!!
Old 10-12-00, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I highly recommend Pitch Black. I found it to be very entertaining overall. Most people on IMDB complained about it being unrealistic or cheesy. Let me just say, "It is science fiction" -- you expect stuff to be unrealistic and whatnot. Just relax, and enjoy the ride (it's one hell of a ride from the start).

Audio and video (at least in the theater) were awesome. I liked a bunch of the actors, including Eryn (sp?) from Farscape. I also thought the cinematography was pretty cool, and it seemed to me that the overall idea was somewhat original.

Tuan Jim

------------------
"Think of the Internet as a pub at chucking out time. Act like a prick and you'll get a glass in your face. Act nice... and you'll probably still get a glass in your face. It's just a question of how big the glass is and how hard someone hits you with it." - Andy
(www.**************.com)
Old 10-12-00, 09:55 AM
Cool New Member

I would have to agree with the above on Pitch Black. Aside from a few gaping plot holes and the cheesy acting (with the Exception of a great performance by Vin Deisel) the movie was a great shut off your mind and enjoy it popcorn movie. Recommended!

U-571 was a pretty good attempt at trying to live up to the amazing sub movie Das Boot (Which is virtually impossible to do anyway)
The acting was decent by Mconnehey (sp?)
and Keitel, and most of the supporting actors pulled off their parts as well. The special effects were done very well and the sound in the theatre I saw it in was amazing-many surround creaks and pings and water all around through out the movie. The story keeps pace pretty well and there is a good amount of suspense in it as well.
I can see how people didn't like it as it was a very simplified story and things just seemed to go too well. As wel;l as being a star studded cast( I really do not know when this became a negative in peoples opinions of Hollywood movies-ie:if it is not independant -it's CRAP!) Another one that I recommend.
Old 10-12-00, 10:30 AM

I agree with both of you on Pitch Black. Though not a great Sci-Fi movie, Pitch Black is still pleasant and often fun. The movie's special effects and Vin Deisel's performance made it worth watching.
Old 10-12-00, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't see Pitch Black...

U-571 was decent, but almost a little predictable in what happens(by that, I mean that it seems that the right thing happens at the right time throughout the film. I also thought it ended a little abruptly. Probably shouldn't compare it to das boot, because it would be a little unfair. Probably ought to rent it unless you are convinced that this show is for you.

------------------
What I should insure...
Destiny is something we've invented because we can't stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental
--Meg Ryan,
Sleepless in Seattle
Old 10-12-00, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Havn't seen either, but will buy both...