Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: HG Wells Time Machine

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: HG Wells Time Machine

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-00, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really just curious about video and audio.
Old 10-06-00, 09:06 AM

Has the ship date slipped? or does nobody else like this movie? Now you're all starting to give me a complex...
Old 10-06-00, 11:07 AM

Hello,

Here's a review of the disc that was recently posted...
http://www.dvdresource.com/savant/s43timetrav.shtml

Sounds like a first-class disc, from the review.
Old 10-06-00, 03:41 PM

Thanks! Now if I can only find the disc at a store!!
Old 10-06-00, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up mine form a penny lane for 10 bucks score! Great picture, and the bonus feature making/behind the scenes has shots of back to the future(in reference to the time machine) so all in all, great stuff.
Old 10-09-00, 08:05 PM

The DVD is the best presentation I've seen of this film since I first saw it as a child of 12 back in 1960. The image is sharp and the mono sound is clear.

The film itself does make a few departures from Wells' story but what is on the screen is a marvelous retelling that remains faithfull to spirit. I'm sure Pal would have loved a bigger budget but he made the best of what he had and it really shows.

The film moves along at a good pace. You won't see the level of fx you see today but oddly enough you probably won't miss that as the story is well told by cast and crew alike.

There are a few scenes -- particularly underground -- that obviously should have been printed about an f-stop darker. But WB didn't consult me on this

Since it's now widely available try renting -- but in my book, this is a keeper.

---

I agree with the reviewer below. Two extras here are fascinating: a history of the Time Machine movie prop hosted by Rod Taylor today and follow-up "return" of the Time Traveler. Solid stuff. And if I recall correctly, in glancing I noted this has about six or so language subtitles!

[This message has been edited by John DVDz (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old 10-10-00, 11:50 AM

Found this disc and was able to watch it this weekend.

This movie has always been a favorite of mine and this DVD doesn't disappoint!!! This is a required disc for all the sci-fi and classic story dvd fans.

I love this disc - it brings back soooo many memories!

If you haven't seen it, at least rent it!

Parasite

[This message has been edited by parasite (edited October 10, 2000).]
Old 10-10-00, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worth mentioning the excellent documentary on the disc which goes into detail about the film and the search for the original Time Machine itself after MGM sold off their props (thanks Kirk Kerkorian). The doc is presented by a slightly wider and definitely older Rod Taylor - it is so incredibly cool to have him doing it that when the best bonus of all comes along it is just icing on the cake. There is a short piece with Rod Taylor and Alan Young re-enacting their roles from the movie in a recreation of the lab together with the beautiful restored Time Machine. I won’t give any of the details away but watch the movie and then this little film for a whole new viewing experience. Amazingly despite being filmed many years later it still has the same wistful feel and the production design helps that along nicely.

This is an outstanding presentation of this superb movie and at the prices it can be found on-line it is a truly essential purchase.