Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Which MIB should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-00, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone that's in the know about the Men in Black DVDs... there's the collector's version, and the limited edition version... what's the real difference between the 2 (and I'm not gonna buy both, I'm poor , other than price? Why would I choose 1 over the other?

I'm kinda new to DVDs, but I'm guessing the more expensive one (limited) is the one I wanna get? I like all the cool little extra stuff they put on DVDs, like the Independance Day one i just got.. And I'm planning to get the new terminator 2 versions... but just as far as MIB goes, which one do ya think is better?
Old 09-29-00, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a tricky question... first thing to ask yourself is... Do you have a good deal on it? would you really want it? the double disc was not to great for most of us. it didn't have much over the regular version. plus, if you have a sound system.. would you like dts with it..
if you like the sound quality, pick up the DTS version

if you like extras, both versions would be great.

if you want slightly a little more extras, or a better looking case, then get the double disc.
Old 09-29-00, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Well, I do have a decent sound system, and with my ID4 DVD that I got I think it's the sound that makes it so great I love it when the movie I watch makes my windows rattle

Is there really gonna be a difference in sound with the dts version? And do I need anything special for dts? My reciever can do 5.1 surround sound
Old 09-29-00, 06:48 PM

The DTS version of MIB is awesome... You need to have a DTS decoder in either your stereo or DVD player. If its in your DVD player your reciver needs to be DTS ready.
Old 09-29-00, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really depends on the type of movie viewer you are? Are you more into the extra supplements? If, so then get the 2 disc version which features a couple for extras than the Special Edition versions. Also,take into consideration - which sound do you prefer(or capable of using) - Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

While reading your post, you mentioned your system is capable of outputing 5.1 channel(I assume Dolby Digital). Hence, go for either the 2 disc or the special edition version with Dobly Digital. If, your system is capable of DTS then go for the DTS version. In order to play DTS, your receiver has to be able to decode it(made it a little simple because DTS needs a whole thread on to itself). But whatever you choose you can't go wrong.

[This message has been edited by JBDomain (edited September 29, 2000).]
Old 09-29-00, 08:28 PM

O Dead One,
I looked at them for a while before going with the DTS. The double disc didn't have enough extras to make it worth buying (at least to me). Do a technical comparison between the two and see what features are on the double and not on the single. Then ask yourself if the extra money is worth it for the features.
If it isn't, check your receiver and dvd player and see if they are capable of DTS. (Most players and receivers have the logo on front, else your manual should be able to say). If so, go with DTS (I did so -- it's dadgum awesome). Or even if you plan on upgrading to DTS in the future.
Otherwise, just go with the 5.1

------------------
Tyler
Old 09-30-00, 09:41 AM

If you want, I have the 2 disc set and would trade it for the DTS version. (Just got my DTS going

[email protected] if interested
Old 10-01-00, 11:49 AM
Suspended

I'll prolly go with the DTS version.. I didn't even know what DTS was (and still kinda don't ) till yesterday.. I got the T2 ultimate DVD and set it to DTS in the menu, and when the movie started it said DTS on my reciever.. but I can also do 5.1

I like the extra stuff they put on DVDs but that's not really a deciding factor for me.. I like the movie itself and I like the sound to be normal when they're talking and super loud when things are exploding
Old 10-02-00, 08:44 PM

As much as DTS kicks butt, I went with the 2-disc Limited Edition version as I love supplements more!

------------------
"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them. I don't give a f*** how crazy they are."

CDTracker
DVDProfiler
DVDTracker