Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reveiw Of Steely Dan DTS version of 2 Against Nature

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reveiw Of Steely Dan DTS version of 2 Against Nature

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-00, 12:07 AM
mb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to let any Steely Dan fans out there know that the their new DVD 2 against Nature is my new reference Music disc (and I have over 300 LD and DVD music titles). This is one GREAT DVD with a fine mix of old and new songs intermingled with some very humorous banter hosted by the unflappable Donald and Walter.

The DTS soundtrack is outstanding (unless you hate instruments and vocals coming from the rear channels). Bass is tight and plentiful and vocals clear with instruments well separated and basically positioned correctly (except for the surrounds).

I have waited patiently for over 18 years for a good SD concert on video and have been well rewarded.

For SD freaks, the DVD chronicalling the making of the AJA album is also an excellent title.

If you don't know the meaning of the name of the band, you're not a true fan!

Enjoy!

Mark

[This message has been edited by mb (edited July 08, 2000).]
Old 07-10-00, 11:43 PM
CSA

Hi Mark,

First of all, I am new to this forum and hope to learn from all of you guys and gals and I hope to share some of my knowledge with all of you as well. Mark, I am afraid I am not much of a fan of popular music and do not know the kind of music Steely Dan play. One of the few groups I am familiar with is The Eagles and I have both DTS laser and DVD in my collection and I like their band very much. Does Steely Dan play the same type of music as the Eagles? I am much older then most of you and favor mellow rock instead of hard rock. I saw a DTS ad in the current issue of Widescreen Review for the Steely Dan Dts DVD and thought about getting it if their style is soft rock or mellow.

-CSA
Old 07-11-00, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

csa,soft rock and melow it is---makes nice background music to relax to,nothing to heavy, ts
Old 07-11-00, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call up your favorite classic rock station and request FM from Steely Dan. Good indication of their style.
Old 07-11-00, 05:24 PM
CSA

Thank you very much, tommy 28 & wergle!

After reading tommy 28 comments late last night, I decided to buy the Steely Dan dts DVD at the same time I purchased the DTS version "JAWS" at my local Tower Record/video store at midnight, When I got there, the DVD was sold out so I will try the main store in Honolulu later this afternoon.

-CSA
Old 09-24-00, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
This comment was written by Roger Nichols in EQ Magazine this month:

"The new Steely Dan DVD is jam-packed with video, PCM, AC-3, and DTS. There have been some complaints about the audio not being in sync with the video. It turns out that most players can't keep up with the 10MB/sec data rates and the video is delayed slightly because of the processing time. This makes the audio sound early. It is different with every player, and depends upon which audio track you're listening to. I guess if you really want to hear it right you are going to have to buy a Denon DVD player and a Lexicon MC-1 preamp for decoding the audio. About $8000 for both."

Anyone notice this problem? I don't have the disk yet, but I was wondering how bad it is, since no one has mentioned it yet...

alan

p.s. For those unfamiliar, Roger Nichols is Steely Dan's engineer/co-producer, both in the studio and on the road.
Old 09-24-00, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
This comment was written by Roger Nichols in EQ Magazine this month:

"The new Steely Dan DVD is jam-packed with video, PCM, AC-3, and DTS. There have been some complaints about the audio not being in sync with the video. It turns out that most players can't keep up with the 10MB/sec data rates and the video is delayed slightly because of the processing time. This makes the audio sound early. It is different with every player, and depends upon which audio track you're listening to. I guess if you really want to hear it right you are going to have to buy a Denon DVD player and a Lexicon MC-1 preamp for decoding the audio. About $8000 for both."

Anyone notice this problem? I don't have the disk yet, but I was wondering how bad it is, since no one has mentioned it yet...

alan

p.s. For those unfamiliar, Roger Nichols is Steely Dan's engineer/co-producer, both in the studio and on the road.
<HR>

I didn't notice anything like that using the DTS track through a Toshiba SD-3109 player.