Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-00, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This trilogy is being repriced by Tai-Seng on 9/12. It's available for preorder at $16.99 at Buy.com.

I've watched the OUATIC series and Swordsman 2, how do these compare?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-00, 06:18 PM

The trilogy is great fun.

II and III are essentially remakes of the first with a monk falling in love with an ethereal ghost and bearing the consequences, etc.

III is my favorite. IMHO it's the silliest and fastest.
Old 08-14-00, 03:37 PM

We should all keep a very close eye on anything released on DVD by Tai-Seng. They have been known to release low quality VHS tapes at inflated prices. Tai-Seng is also currently taking a number of video stores to court in the USA over duping beefs.
Old 08-14-00, 07:07 PM

The first two are pretty entertaining, but they get progressively worse. This is partly because the first was so imaginative (a 40 foot long vampiric giant tongue, for instance) that the next two didn't have a chance to surprise me. The third film is really a remake rather than a sequel (and the supporting cast isn't as good). I wouldn't bother with it unless you are a completist.

The special effects often look quite cheesy if you are used to Hollywood FX. The giant centipede at the end of the second film didn't look much better than the giant ants in Them, a film made 30 years earlier.
Old 08-15-00, 02:26 AM
Cool New Member

I'm biased, bacause ACGS is my all time favorite movie, but the trilogy is very good overall. The first is the best with the second one being a continuation rather than a standard rehash. The thrid one is basically a remake of the first one. While not nearly as good, it does have it's inventive moments.

I have only the Media Asia (Evil!) ACGS DVD (the first one). It's pretty disappointing. The removable English subtitles are filled with errors and bad sentence structring and the music soundtrack has some mismatching and completely replaced sections. The 5.1 sound remix is hollow sounding also.

Hopefully Tai Seng will fix at least some of that.

I just checked with Buy.com. It states that the Tai Seng DVD is $16.99, but if you click on the DVD subtitled link, the price is much more expensive.

GOD! I hope the new DVD isn't dubbed! This would be a travesty.

[This message has been edited by Schmilsson (edited August 14, 2000).]
Old 08-15-00, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Schmilsson:
Hopefully Tai Seng will fix at least some of that.<HR>

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that a new version of this movie is not being released. The 'pre-order' price is because Tai Seng is repricing the existing version in September.
Old 09-22-00, 08:25 PM

I just found these movies information in asiandvdguide.com and according to them, these three Chinese Ghost Story are Distributed by Mega Star. There is even a remasted dvd for the "Chinese Ghost Story I".

Are "Tai-Seng" and "Mega Star" the same distributer ?
Thanks!
Old 09-22-00, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

i've seen all of them, but only own part 2 on DVD, got it with the $10 off 30 coupon buy had a couple of weeks back.

The DVD looks damn fine. Suprised it looks as good as it does.

For my money, while Part 1 is outstanding, no doubt, i prefer Part 2 becuase the comedy seemed better, and i love Jacky Cheung as Autumn. Though the finale of One is better than Two.

i havent watched Part 3 all the way through. It was on a bad bootleg, and it just didnt seem very good, and i had too many movies to watch the weekend i had it.

As far as comparing Chinese Ghist Story to Swordsman or OUATIC- Its far more fantasy, more on league with Swordsman than OUATIC. Its not so much about the flashy kung fu as it is just energy and cheesy (in a good way) monster stuff. In a minor way, i sort of consider it the Army of Darkness of HK movies.

[This message has been edited by iaido (edited September 22, 2000).]