Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Men In Black Limitied Edition - Totally disappointed.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Men In Black Limitied Edition - Totally disappointed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-00, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In short, I don't think you are missing hardly anything if you didn't buy the limited edition. Going through the "LIMTED EDITION EXCLUSIVE" on Disc 2, the extras were hardly worth the extra money. And film processing for the extras were just a joke. My favorite part is when they show a clip of the step by step redering of one of the aliens, which is probably shot with a handicam crookedly facing a computer monitor. The editing workshops were a great concept, but did they have to pick the most boring and meaningless scenes in the movie?

The not exclusive to the LE DVD features like Alternate and Extended scenes are sooo slightly altered I don't know how they can even categorize some of the scenes as altered or extended. At best, they are simply "alternate takes". I'd say the alternate scenes were meaningless like alternate scenes on on the DVD Wild Things, if not worse.

If we used Sixth Sense as a benchmark as a perfect 10 DVD for extra features, I'd say the Men in Black LE deserves a 3.

Another thing, what is up with that piece of paper they just glued to the back of the box? It is so obvious that they were so pressed for time that they had to print the box first before figuring what was going in the DVD. Bad bad idea. At least you can easily peel the paper off, and throw it away or put it somewhere cause it doesn't go anywhere else.

The color is warped on some scenes where complete black comes off as a dark shade of purple or green. Think back to Last of the Mohicans DVD if you know what I'm talking about. I was in denial when I first saw that.

Also the box/case is actually taller than any DVD case I own. Why'd they have to mess or overlook that fundamental rule up leaves me guessing. At least those snap on cases Warner and New Line uses is the same height as the regular cases. It's something that could have easily been altered. Someone just didn't care. And never mind trying to get the dvd off that plastic without bending the DVD to some degree.

Save your money folks. It had a lot of potential, but they just didn't pull it together.

What did I like about it? I thought (except for what I said for the paper glued to the back) the case and the black plastic looked cool(even though they totally ruined it with that piece of paper that's soon to get ripped, stained, wrinkled). I'd give the sound mixing a 8.5 out of 10 at least.

Well, don't do what I did, which was see the DVD's extra features for the first time with people you are trying show the magical wonders of dvd's the first time cause it's pretty embarassing.

------------------
My DVD List
Old 09-02-00, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad mine is already on it's way!
Old 09-02-00, 05:58 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lucidity:
The editing workshops were a great concept, but did they have to pick the most boring and meaningless scenes in the movie?

<HR>

OK, in my book, I don't think there was a single "meaningful" scene in the movie. It was fun to watch. The special effects are good and there is an occasional chuckle. But I'd never look for meaning in any of the scenes.
Old 09-02-00, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked what I have heard so far of the second commentary track, but then again I like commentary tracks. I thought it was well worth getting. Having the cool looking packaging was a nice extra bonus too.
Old 09-03-00, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard the dts version isn't the best, so i'm sticking with the LE cause of cover, and cause i enjoy the two disc'ers
Old 09-04-00, 07:10 AM
Banned

I am glad I switched weeks ago from the LE to DTS!

...still waiting on slow a$$ amazon!

Jonathan

------------------
37 free dvd's / 35 under $10 / the rest....I can't believe what I paid for them!!
Old 09-06-00, 01:21 PM
Max

Glad I didnt get it!

I've decided to be pretty selective now on the "extras".
Most of the time it isn't worth the extra money as I dont find myself watching them over and over....

------------------
"DEATH TO VIDEODROME! LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!"
Old 09-06-00, 01:53 PM

so everyone is glad they didn't get the LE version because one person posted a bad review?
you are all simple sheep being led to the slaughter.
why can't you make up your minds for yourselves?
I can't believe the amount of bitching in this forum, it's insane.
bunch of cheap 539's you are....
Old 09-06-00, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>you are all simple sheep being led to the slaughter.[/B]<HR>

There's going to be a slaughter?

- David Stein

------------------
"You face... The Tick!"
"No, I face a zebra. You face The Tick!"
Old 09-06-00, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I got mine for the same price as the regular.. so i said to myself.. for the same price.. do i want one disc or two? i am happy with my LE.
Old 09-08-00, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jackskeleton:
I got mine for the same price as the regular.. so i said to myself.. for the same price.. do i want one disc or two? i am happy with my LE. <HR>

My situation exactly. For what I paid I'm very happy with the LE.

Old 09-09-00, 05:37 PM

I got the LE and I'm very happy with it. I think I paid $3 more for it and it was money well spent.
Old 09-09-00, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
You'd give the Sixth Sense a 10? I'd give it an 8 or 9...it's not perfect without a commentary.

If we used Sixth Sense as a benchmark as a perfect 10 DVD for extra features, I'd say the Men in Black LE deserves a 3.
<HR>

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage | bigwolfoncampus.org
Old 09-11-00, 05:54 PM

Amen ctyner. 6th Sense is a good disc, but with the mandatory previews (yes I am aware that you can FWD past them, but it still annoys me) and no commentary, the disc is not quite perfect.

I really like the case MIB: LE came in. Lucidity, I hope you didn't get the Evil Dead 2 LE Tin. You'd blow a gasket when you see how big that tin is!
Old 09-11-00, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If we used Sixth Sense as a benchmark as a perfect 10 DVD for extra features, I'd say the Men in Black LE deserves a 3.<HR>

The Sixth Sense is a perfect DVD? Huh?

I've watched MIB and skimmed the extras briefly. This is an excellent DVD.

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 09-11-00, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bboisvert:
The Sixth Sense is a perfect DVD? Huh?

I've watched MIB and skimmed the extras briefly. This is an excellent DVD.

<HR>

I agree. The Sixth Sense had a few goodies, but for the most part it came across as M. Night Shyamalan getting to hear himself talk on and on about his movie and his life story. Not the most exciting bonuses I've seen.

Old 09-13-00, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget the infamous forced previews at the beginning of the movie!

- David Stein

------------------
"You face... The Tick!"
"No, I face a zebra. You face The Tick!"
Old 09-13-00, 10:19 PM

I liked the LE. The only thing I found kinda dumb (but good concept) was the scene editing workshop. You could tell which snippit was from the movie and that the other two were extra footage. And all they did was change the camera angle. I just wish that they would give us someting a little less obvious. At least something that we could prove that Sonnefeld didn't have the "perfect editing"