Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Anyone check out the Personal Journey with martin Scorsese set yet?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Anyone check out the Personal Journey with martin Scorsese set yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-00, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This just walked in. Haven't seen it. Has anyone taken a look yet?

------------------
My DVDs
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 09-11-00, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got the DVDs in the mail today, but I've had this on VHS for quite a while. It is an excellent documentary. Those that have never seen it, but bought it just because of Scorsese, may be a bit disppointed. He barely mentions his own films. (In fact, he stops after the films of the 60's. A wise decision, I think.) Also, Scorsese mostly talk about lesser known films. Yes, Hitchcock was great, Citizen Kane is great, but these subjects have already beem covered elsewhere many, many times. Instead, although many of the films may be familiar, a lot of them are lesser-known (especially to non-film buffs). Again, a wise decision. (Where else are you going to hear an authority on film talk about movies like "I Walked With A Zombie" and "The Furies"?) Regardless of your feelings about Scorsese's work (I just happen to be a diehard fan), this documentary is a "must-see" for anyone serious about the art of film.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings."
-The Big Sleep (1946)
Old 09-11-00, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gamblor187:
I just got the DVDs in the mail today<HR>

DVDs? Plural?

I wasn't aware that this was going to be a multi-disc set... how is it set up? What sort of a case is it in? Picture/sound quality?

800.com hasn't even shipped mine yet, so I have to wait until later in the week.

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 09-11-00, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are 2 discs in this set. (The VHS set came on 3 tapes.) The documentary is divided up into 6 sections (The Director's Dilemna, The Dirctor As A Storyteller, The Director As Illusionist, The Dirctor As Smuggler Parts 1 and 2, and The Director As Iconoclast...in that order). There 4 sections on the first disc, two on each side (though it may seem that there is more on the first side, as it has more chapter stops due to segments on Westerns, Gangster Films, and Musicals). The remaining 2 segments are on the second disc.

The case is different from most 2 disc sets, but in a good way. It is no bigger than a single DVD case. One disc is set in the case like a normal single DVD. The other is in a seperate slot that flip over. (I didn't explain that very well. Basically, it's similar to the way many 2 CD sets are released now.)

I haven't checked out the DVDs yet, so I can't comment on the picture/sound quality. I'll add more comments when I get a chance to check these discs out later.

jim

------------------

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings."
-The Big Sleep (1946)
Old 09-12-00, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, I skimmed through the discs today. The transfer and sound seem very good. I believe that most, if not all of the film clips are presented in their original aspect ratios. Of course, the quality of the film clips has a lot to do with the age of the films. The more recent films look great, but some of the older ones show the expected signs of age. The Scorsese parts are full screen since this was originally made for British television. There are no extras, but I wasn't expecting any either.

Well, I hope this has helped. I highly recommend this set, but keep in mind that these comments come from a film geek/ Scorsese devotee.

jim

------------------

-The Big Sleep (1946)