Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Tenderness of the Wolves

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Tenderness of the Wolves

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-00, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone seen this film? comments?

------------------
Tony Block
Old 09-06-00, 07:44 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the 2-DVD DTS version was quite excellent. The buffalo stampede scene was stupendous and made my house shake. One of the better Costner films and his commentary was quite good too. Personally, I don't mind having to get up and put in the second disk. At this length, it's a nice time for a bathroom break.

Uh...Oh....ooops....I'm sorry, I thought you said Dances With Wolves. My mistake.
Old 09-08-00, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a huge fan of Fassbinder, I'd be interested in hearing about Ulli Lommel's film. Lommel, one of Fassbinder's 'Antitheatre' regulars, was fascinating to listen to on the commentary track to Fassbinder's Whity (an amazingly good DVD from Fantoma).

Anybody seen this DVD/film?
Old 09-08-00, 07:09 PM

I just rented it from netflix; it is on the way. I'll post a review on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 09-09-00, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whity is a great film. It's slow paced but very good at dealing with social problems, and hypocrisies, like nepotism, racism and class differences. The commentary track is great, & even though it's not really a Spaghetti Western, it was filmed on the same sets in Spain that Sergio Leone used for his films.

------------------
Tony Block
Old 09-12-00, 03:44 PM

Tenderness of the Wolves (Zärtlichkeit der Wölfe)

Uli Lommel and Kurt Raab present a precise, simple portrait of a killer. From the performances, to the sets, to the script, to the direction, it is in so few words a great film.

Fritz Haarmann is a sly, underhanded, thief, whose gentle appearance gains him a circle of friends. He divides his time between hanging out with his companions, running scams, and cruising the subway stations, wetting his lips over young boys. The horror of Fritz Haarmann is that he is surrounded by so many people, the police, his friends, his neighbors, all of whom see the hint of the deviant he is inside, yet accept him and turn a blind eye. The world around him just sits back and eats the meat he seems to have in such steady supply. Haarmann, himself, gradually, makes less effort to conceal the deviant nature that drives him, wanting to reveal the loneliness and darkness consuming him, but it takes far too long for any action to be taken against him.

Anchor Bay does a great job, once again, with an (in the USA) overlooked film. The picture is as good as one can hope for, sharp, clear, free of any spots or digital glitches. Thanks to the great cinematography and locations that are well served by the transfer, it doesn’t look like a 70’s film. The extras include a trailer, biographies, and commentary by Bill Lustig and Uli Lommel. Also in regards to the German New Wave, just last week I finally got around to watching Nosferatu with commentary, and coincidentally I also saw Bill Lustig’s Maniac and watched it with commentary. The evidence is apparent between Bill Lustig’s talent as a commentator/interviewer and the lackluster interviewer who guided Herzog through Nosferatu. Lustig is totally on top of his game, not only does he love, and I mean LOVE, the film, but he is capable, funny, at ease, but also in awe. Lommel talks very free and open, adding insightful anecdotes and information about, himself, the filming, and the inner workings of the Fassbinder group. The only way Lustig falters is in his lack of seeing Fassbinder films, witch I can’t blame him for because I have haven’t seen as many Fassbinder films as I would like. Over all, Great Movie, Great DVD.

Tenderness of the Wolves
Directed by, Uli Lommel
Written by and Starring, Kurt Raab
Theatrical Release: 1973
DVD Release: August 24, 1999, by Anchor Bay Entertainment
Length: 86 minutes

[This message has been edited by coffin_booth (edited September 12, 2000).]