Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Battle Athletes Victory 1

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Battle Athletes Victory 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-00, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it more like "Cowboy Bebop" or "My little pony"? I loved Haunted Junction... but I don't usually get into shoujo/magic girl stuff....
Old 09-11-00, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by sky9:
Is it more like "Cowboy Bebop" or "My little pony"? I loved Haunted Junction... but I don't usually get into shoujo/magic girl stuff....<HR>

Just the first disc, or the entire series? The whole series is easier, so I'll answer with that option

In short, this is not shoujo-anime. Not sure what I would classify it as, but it is a comedy/drama, with character evolvement, dialogue, plot advancement and some funny moments. It also has some more silly events, and it has its ups and downs.

Background: Battle Athletes was from the start a game for Playstation (named Daiundokai IIRC), which later became an OVA (direct for video) in six episodes (also available on DVD on 3 discs). The OVA was successfull enough to warrant a TV-serie, named Battle Athletes Victory (8 disc, 26 or something episodes). The TV-serie starts before the OVA, and ends after and some of the plots in the OVA is changed.

The show revolves around the lead female character Akari, who is the daughter or Tomoe Midoh (apologies if I get the spelling incorrect, been a while since I saw the show), a previous "Cosmo Beauty". That title is a title given to the greatest female athlete in the solar system. When we first meet Akari she is a lonely, klutzy, lowconfidence, underacheiving athlete, and we get to follow her as she makes new friends, comes to term with her beckgorund and her talents and as she evolves into an athlete.

While the show has sportelements, the focus is on characters, and albeit the show is set in the future I would not call it a S/F. I personally enjoyed the show, especially since I like shows with character development. It has it downs too. While I can enjoy that Akari now and then comes close to defeat I found it somewhat annoying that she always where 1 inch from rock bottom before miracously turning the tide and advancing in the competition.

The show contains different wonderful characters and everyone has their own favourites.

Before Pioneers pricedrop I would have said that the price was somewhat steep for the entire serie, but with the new price the value is actually good.

Some people dislike the last disk (plotwise) which I dont. I just had a problem with the open ending, but I know others disagree with me.

The picture is good. Not reference quality, but really good for a TV-show. The audio is also good (for a TV-show that is). I personally hated the dub, but taste is different.

If you like somewhat lighter shows, I think you will like this. One of my top-5 favorites when it comes to Anime. I wouldnt compare it to Cowboy Bebop though. While not a good comparison either, I would rather compare it to Tenchi Muyo.

HTH,

/Mattias