Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Please Review: Last Man Standing

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Please Review: Last Man Standing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-00, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bruce Willis movie.
Thanks to all
Terminator

------------------
Old 09-01-00, 02:08 AM

Anyone? Please?
Old 09-01-00, 02:46 AM

I haven't seen the DVD, but I saw the movie when it was in theaters a while back. I wasn't too impressed by the movie. Actually, I don't really remember much of the storyline, which is probably an indication of how lackluster the film was. I just remember it was kind of dull and I wasn't exactly sure what was going on (and I didn't really care, either).
Old 09-01-00, 02:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the DVD and it left a pretty lackluster impression on me The main reasons I picked it up were because I like Willis and the movie is based on Yojimbo (a Kurasowa film). It's been awhile since I've seen it so I don't remember much about the transfer I know I was disappointed in the lack of features though. Since I doubt they'll "revisit" this any time soon (although you never know ) I would go ahead and pick it up if you liked the movie. If you aren't sure definately rent it first
Old 09-01-00, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nemein:
the movie is based on Yojimbo (a Kurasowa film<HR>

It's also based on Leone's A Fistful of Dollars, which is of course based on Yojimbo.

MOREOVER, all these films are based on the Pulp-detective novel RED HARVEST by Dashiel Hamlett, which is a great book.

I have all three on DVD & Last Man standing is the least of the 3, but it is a Walter Hill film, and not a bad one at that. It's just that Yojimbo & Fistful are classics.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 09-01-00, 10:49 PM

While the story is based on the same story as Yojimbo and A Fistful Of Dollars, I think Last Man Standing stands on its own ( no pun intended ). This was a fairly early DVD release, 1997 I think. Still it is an anamorphic transfer and a 5.1 soundtrack. There are enough bulletts flying to make good use of the 5.1 sound.

I give it a 7.5.

Mike
Old 09-02-00, 11:36 PM

So-so movie, but great sound.
Old 09-06-00, 04:28 PM

Christopher Walken is great as Hickey, the dangerous bad guy. Overall, I have to agree with many that the movie was dull. Really just didn't work for the era it was portraying. That story worked great in Yojimbo. It was good with Clint (without whom, the movie may have been dull--the dubbing always bugged me). But timing and the era they put it in just really didn't work for me in Last Man Standing.