Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Erin Brockovich

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Erin Brockovich

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-00, 06:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Thanks...
Old 08-14-00, 01:20 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"They're called boobs Ed"

[This message has been edited by JLB (edited August 14, 2000).]
Old 08-14-00, 03:56 PM
Suspended

WAIT! Theres "boobs" in this movie? Im going to Best Buy right now and waiting outside till they open their doors! Hehe... j/k ... I think
Old 08-14-00, 05:27 PM
siege_tx

I am not going to refute the nice usage of Boobs in this movie, but it does have content that is funny,inspiring, and worthwhile.
I guess covers the boobs too. Seriously I got dragged (drug/drugged?) to it and was actually satisfied with the story.
Old 08-15-00, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i stayed for the boob peek shots. and i actually thought it was fairly decent aswell.
Old 08-15-00, 04:00 PM

Good movie. Uses a lot of cliches, but a very effective message movie, and some nice sequences. Little is wasted in the film. Even Julia's tight outfits serve a purpose in outlining her character. (If anything, she's somewhat muted -- I gather that the real Erin Brockovich dressed even more provocatively.) Julia Roberts is really good here; so is Albert Finney.

I'm a big Steven Soderbergh fan, and I'd rank this somewhat below The Limey and slightly above Out of Sight. I didn't buy the movie, though, because of the (relative) lack of extras. Definitely worth seeing, though, maybe even worth purchasing through the CH program.

[This message has been edited by SAShepherd (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old 08-15-00, 06:58 PM

Different strokes I guess..

My girlfriend and I watched this last night. We didn't get around to seeing it in the theater, but most of the people we talked to liked it.

On the whole, we were both pretty disappointed. It's a decent movie, telling a real story, but it just doesn't feel like it has any substance.

They try to develop some texture to Erin with peeks into personal life, how others in the office feel about her, what makes her tick, etc, but it seems to mostly fall on it's face.

Anyways...It wasn't a horrible movie, but it sure didn't meet my expectations...
Old 08-17-00, 10:22 PM

I liked "Erin Brockovich" quite a bit. I liked Roberts in Notting Hill and Runaway Bride, but I thought she was really more impressive here. Albert Finney is also excellent, but Aaron Eckheart doesn't get a whole lot to do.

The film does feel a little long towards the second half, but it has a good ending and isn't always predictable. Universal's DVD has good image quality but unremarkable audio quality. Extras are also a nice batch.

If you want to read my full review, click the link below.

DVD Review: Erin Brockovich
Old 08-18-00, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a really good film. It sucks that I did'nt see it at the theater either. I paid to see U-571 and Coyote Ugly, but I passed on this one. This might be the best film I have seen all year. This disc is nice and some good features.
Old 08-18-00, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Almost 30 minutes of deleted scenes! YIKES!
Old 08-19-00, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good movie for the most part....decent transfer!!
Old 08-19-00, 10:36 PM
RVN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really, really liked this movie. I'd give it a four on a scale of five.

IMO it's Julia Robert's best performance yet.

RVN

Old 08-20-00, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,233 Posts
I wanted to dislike this film. In fact, I wast to dislike all Julia Roberts films. She annoys me.

Alas, her work has been getting better and better the last few years. My Best Friend's Wedding was solidly funny and Notting Hill was much better than I thought it would be (although most of the credit for this film's success should go to Hugh Grant). Erin Brockovich is easily her best work yet. She simply nails the role from start to finish. It succeeds both at being funny and touching and I strongly recommend it.

A nice batch of extras are included. Oodles of deleted scenes are included (over 30min worth). Almost all of them are very good and were probably only cut for running time.

------------------
"I will not be threatened by a walking meat loaf!"

DVD reviewer for digitallyOBSESSED.com
Old 08-22-00, 12:02 AM

I saw the movie twice in four months (once theatrically, once on DVD) and find it to be surprisingly entertaining; it's immensely manipulative but crowd-pleasing nonetheless. The DVD looks and sounds quite good (great bass in the audio), and the extras are also very good.

Link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/erinbrockovich.html

Old 08-22-00, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how is it "immensely manipulative"?

Is corporate pollution & lies held in high regard by some people?

Old 08-22-00, 04:44 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DodgingCars:
<HR>

I would also like an answer to this question.

------------------

Old 08-22-00, 08:38 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DodgingCars:

Is corporate pollution & lies held in high regard by some people?

<HR>

Without meaning to speak for Oatsdad, I don't think he was referring to the PG&E case itself. There were a few scenes I thought left the viewer no choice in how to feel about that particular scene. For example, at the picnic where Erin has spent a couple hours getting signatures on a petition while her biker boyfriend babysits her kids, we're supposed to feel like Erin is ignoring her family and is blind to her boyfriend's needs. The point probably could have been made with her boyfriend's pleading. But then Soderbergh adds a shot of a pack of biker riding Hogs leaving the picnic parking lot and Erin's biker boyfriend looking wistfully on. I thought it was a bit too much, frankly, but your tastes may vary.

I preferred it when Soderbergh underplayed the case itself (i.e., showing very little courtroom action) and thought the best scene was the brief, wordless scene with one of the families' fathers throwing stones at the plant. Much more effective.

Still, you want this kind of movie to be at least a little manipulative, I suppose.
Old 08-22-00, 09:30 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by SAShepherd:
...we're supposed to feel like Erin is ignoring her family and is blind to her boyfriend's needs. The point probably could have been made with her boyfriend's pleading. But then Soderbergh adds a shot of a pack of biker riding Hogs leaving the picnic parking lot and Erin's biker boyfriend looking wistfully on. I thought it was a bit too much, frankly, but your tastes may vary.<HR>

I would say that George's feeling that Erin is neglecting both him and her children and his longing again for the freedom of the open road and spending time with his biker friends are mutually exclusive sensitivities on his part. As such, I have to disagree, at least with respect to this scene.

------------------

Old 08-23-00, 01:47 AM

SAShepherd, you spoke for me quite well! My comments about manipulation had nothing to do with the content of the film per se; they related to the EXECUTION of that content.

A quote from my review:

"When I mentioned the manipulative qualities, that largely extends to the manner in which characters are portrayed. We're clearly told who to like and who to dislike, or at least mistrust. A few examples: the first representative of the power company who comes to meet with Ed and Erin, he's a smarmy-looking little weasel who sits slouched down in his waiting-room seat. Also, when we initially meet two other lawyers who will join the case, they're clad in similar bland grey/white suits and shot very rigidly and stiffly, whereas Ed and Erin are dressed in warmer tones and filmed with more fluid motions."

The film tells us how to feel and when to feel that way; there's extremely little grey area. As I mention in my review, I don't necessarily regard this as a negative; Capra built a whole career on similar vehicles. However, I felt that I should explore the issue, since the clear-cut emotional intentions are such an important aspect of the film.

By the way, I discuss the "corporate greed" issue as well, since the film glosses over the apparent fact that hexavalent chromium DIDN'T cause the illnesses. If I was going to left PG&E off the hook, that's where I would have done it, but I still consider them culpable. No support of corporate greed here! (Though I AM very fond of greedy DVD reviewers!)

Despite this minor controversy, at least it's nice to know someone's reading my stuff!
Old 08-23-00, 06:34 PM

Good Movie, Julia is great as usual.
Old 08-25-00, 06:02 PM
Banned

I haven't seen it, but all I can say is:

"They're called boobs Ed"

------------------
My ever growing, yet not too large at the moment list of DVD's
Old 08-26-00, 10:45 PM

I thought this movie was basically 'A Civil Action' with boobies.
Old 08-28-00, 12:14 PM

I personally prefered Cival Action. My wife loves it though.