Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

RKO 281 - The Battle Over "Citizen Kane"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

RKO 281 - The Battle Over "Citizen Kane"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-00, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this from CH as a fulfillment selection, and watched it right away. Strange as I have so many great movies still in plastic. To tell the truth, I thought I was buying the documentary on the making of Citizen Kane. This is an HBO drama about the making of Citizen Kane and the cr@p Welles had to put up with trying to get the picture released.

I found the movie enjoyable. What I really liked was finding out (supposedly), what from Citizen Kane was based in Hearst's reality. I finally found out what RoseBud really was. And that was worth knowing.

As a period piece, it was interesting to see the power Hearst had at one time. It was interesting to see what the Hollywood bigwigs would do out of their fear of anti-semitism. The sets were wonderful.

The acting was fine. Of course Malkovich was fantastic, as was Melanie Griffith, playing (again) a blonde bimbo. I kept comparing Liev Schreiber to the actual Orson Welles though and he usually came up short. He did however surprise me sometimes with something that came off so genuine it was like watching Orson Himself.

Even though it was an HBO movie, it appeared in 1.85:1. Sound was good (on my 10 year old stereo tv). There were subtitles available.

I enjoyed this movie. If you're looking to closeout a CH account, and you liked Citizen Kane, then this movie may be a very good one for you.
Old 08-21-00, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I was damn impressed with Liev Schreiber. I pretty much hated him in everything he's done (especially the Scream movies) before this. I thought he did a good job.

------------------
Electric2k

Visit Region Free for DVD reviews and retail information for Import DVDs!