Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: The Dark Crystal

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: The Dark Crystal

Old 07-20-00, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you!
Old 07-20-00, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you like the movie, buy it! The special features are worth it alone; deleted scenes and one of the better documentaries I've seen. It's been awhile since I've seen so I don't recall off hand much about the audio/video of the feature itself. If you haven't seen the movie, rent it first. While the DVD is good, the movie isn't for everyone. If you don't like the movie, chances are the DVD isn't going to change your mind about it.

Hope that helps some...
Old 07-20-00, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My only caveat is that the video quality is pretty lousy. Otherwise, the disc isn't bad.

- David Stein

------------------
"You face... The Tick!"
"No, I face a zebra. You face The Tick!"
Old 07-21-00, 12:47 AM

There are some diehard fans of The Dark Crystal, with my roommate being one of them. Twice I've tried to sit down and watch this movie, but I just can't get into it. It bothers me that the good guys are so S..L..O..W... (and kinda dull).

Although I didn't like the movie, the extras are pretty cool. I like all the artwork, and the behind-the-scenes stuff showing all the work that went into the puppets is really interesting.
Old 07-25-00, 08:16 PM

I disagree about the video being lousy. The film has been remastered, and although there are some specks and nicks from time to time, the film looks gorgeous! I noticed colors that I had never seen before and the outdoor scenes look fantastic. Also, the isolated score is a wonderful thing.. especially since Trevor Jones created such a magnificent score. The documentary is excellent too! It originally aired on PBS in the 80's so it hasn't been seen since now!

Give the film a chance.. they don't make films this good anymore.
Old 07-26-00, 05:38 PM
Max

If you like the Hobbit or fanciful tales check it out....this is one of my favorites. Orignal, clever and the puppetry and effects are cool. I've always been a fan of the late Jim Henson and this is one of his best works!

An otherworldly treat for the eyes!
The creatures whether good or bad are fantastic! DVD Extras are awesome too!

------------------
"DEATH TO VIDEODROME! LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!"
Old 07-26-00, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to mention if you are into film history or "unusual" movies. To date (AFAIK) this is the only live action film that doesn't contain a single human.
Old 08-19-00, 10:43 PM

I love the MOVIE and I love the DVD. The only negative thing that I can say is that the video has some snow flakes in it. Probably 90% of the movie looks great and you don't see a hint of them but the other 10% has them pretty bad, which sadly happens to include the opening. It isn't the compression or anything but just a bad master that was used that. The sound is great and I recommend the DVD to everyone that likes this type of film.
Old 08-20-00, 01:55 AM

The worst in my opinion.

-The story drags a lot. It drags because it wastes too much time putting the puppets on display. Accordingly, scenes last a lot longer than necesarry. (I'd say that this is because Jim and co. want you to see how much work they put into this movie.)

Maybe when the movie was originally released in theaters, people appreciated the pace (so that they could see everything). But many of the "techniques" and "puppetry" seen in this film will likely seem rather dated and anitquated to a modern audience.

-The transfer quality did suffer in some parts, (but still I have to give the films transfer a thumbs up. Its old!)

On the other hand...

-The extras are pretty good. I usually don't enjoy documentaries, but this one was really good.

-Nostalgia. This was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

OVERALL-
-I enjoyed "The Dark Crystal" , and I don't regret buying it at all. Its a really good DVD.

------------------
Charles Mingus is alive
and
Alice Coltrane is your mother.
Old 08-20-00, 03:10 AM

I thought the movie was awfully dull; slow story, boring characters. The DVD provides a strong picture but fairly mediocre sound. The extras are very good. Here's a link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/darkcrystal.html

Old 08-20-00, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow moving, but a good story. not my favorite jim hennson movie. but up their.