Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Astronaut's Wife

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Astronaut's Wife

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-00, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen this DVD? Is it any good and how is the 5.1 audio?
Old 02-14-00, 04:07 PM

Pay no attention to the DVDTalk official review of this DVD... they said it was a piece of crap not worth rental...

This movie rules, good cast, good performances, great affects and screen shots, amazing looking sets.

Sound quality is sweet too...

I saw it twice in the theater...

If you took an episode of the outer limits and turned it into a feature length movie... this is what it would be like.

Four1Fool

------------------
My List yo's http://www.dvdtracker.com/~four1fool
Old 02-14-00, 05:09 PM
classícman

I believe most would strongly disagree with the above post. This movie is one of the worst of 1999.

------------------
The Voice of Reason!
Old 02-14-00, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I haven't seen the movie, i think Classicman's right. If you check out rotten-tomatoes website or IMDB you will see that most critics and audiences didn't care for it.

As for the DVD itself? I can't say.

Old 02-14-00, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um. The movie sucks. Its long, boring, and isn't worth the time to watch it. Although people who did get the dvd said that the transfer is really excellent (it doesn't have many extras)...you might wanna do a search so you can find the 4-5 other "review wanted" posts for this movie, if you want more info.

Old 02-15-00, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you all base reviews on what other people say? Shame on you if you do. From what I heard and read the movie had a lot of mixed reviews. I am no going to base this on if I should not see it. The best adivce is rent it, from netflix,if you want the dvd version if not get he VHS version. IF you actually like the movie buy it

-That is my dollar-
Old 02-15-00, 10:57 AM
classícman

I saw the "movie" in the theater. That is what I base my opinion on. I walked out about 15 minutes early as did a number of others in the theater.

------------------
The Voice of Reason!
Old 02-15-00, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, yes I do base my decisions to see movies on what other people say. If a movie get very good reviews, I'm more likely to see it, if it gets really bad reviews, I'm less likely to see it.

If it gets mixed reviews (about 50/50 -- astronauts wife was more like 20/80) I'd still invest the time/money in renting it.

the only exception would be -- If I really wanted to see the movie before I read bad reviews -- I'd still see it.

Old 02-15-00, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am so glad I didn't buy this DVD (I nearly did). Thanks to you people I rented it first, and you're all right, it did suck. But it's worth a rental though -- my curiosity couldn't keep me away.

------------------
My Two-Month Addiction
Old 02-16-00, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie sucks soooo bad. It is a complete ripoff of Devils Advocate and done horrifically poorly at that. I feel really sad for anyone who sees this movie before they've seen Devils Advocate because they might actually think that it's the otherway around.

See Devils Advocate instead, it rules! This movie should burn in hell...
Old 02-16-00, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

B.O.R.I.N.G.

[This message has been edited by Calistoga (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old 02-17-00, 09:17 AM

The movie has a dragging storyline and the ending will make you realize the time and money you wasted.
Old 02-18-00, 03:32 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I heard it was a bad knock-off of Rosemary's Baby. Only with a mean space alien.
Old 02-19-00, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the movie wasn't executed to perfection, I thought it was fairly entertaining. Yeah, it stole some ideas from other films, but the plot was intriguing. In addition, the lead actors give us some good performances.

Another positive would be the presentation of the DVD. Once again, New Line delivers the goods.

I can see how most people would give "thumbs down" to this film. However, opinions vary and in my opinion, it was a pretty good movie.
Old 02-21-00, 02:02 AM

Just watched it...the wife rented it for me and i can honestly say that i liked it! It's not a movie i'd buy for it's repeat viewing value, but the wife and i enjoyed it. Personally i thought it had a great ending and got much better as it went on.

On a side note, i listen to how others rate movies simply for the fact that when it's continually dumped on, it seems that my expectations are not that high, and it turns out to be more enjoyable when you don't expect it to be a great movie. By contrast i remember the movies "Drop Dead Gorgeous" and "Dick" got really good reviews, but i thought they both stunk! And i almost bought em sight unseen. Glad i didn't!!

Al

------------------
"No, Lieutenant, your men are already dead."http://www.dvdtracker.com/~inkman.asp
Old 02-21-00, 11:13 AM
reliquary

quote:<HR>Originally posted by classicman:
I saw the "movie" in the theater. That is what I base my opinion on. I walked out about 15 minutes early as did a number of others in the theater.

<HR>

Then you missed the only redeeming merits of the film. I thought the movie was sluggish, but the ending helped upgrade the flick to an average rating for me. Barebones DVD btw.
Old 02-22-00, 04:59 AM

I like the film. I bought the DVD without seeing the movie first. It was a little dragging at times. I really liked the ending.

Rick
Old 02-22-00, 08:43 PM
Registered

Here's a link to the DVD Talk Review of Astronaut's Wife

Geoff
Old 02-24-00, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched this film, bought it without having seen it or a review. It's not as good as some of the movies I have seen, but I wouldn't call it crap either. It is kinda slow getting to the point, and there could be more space stuff to make it a little more interesting. Also, you know what's going on at the end, but there's not so much description during the film to make it interesting or easy to follow.

I really don't like Depp's character in this movie; for a hero, he doesn't seem like a nice guy. Even before he leaves for the fated trip.

I also don't think there is much of a re-watchability characteristic to this movie. Once is really enough. Unless you see the movie and like it alot, it's not worth owning. Having said that, I have a copy for trade...( )

robyn

------------------
This is what I currently insure...

Destiny is something we've invented because we can't stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental
--Meg Ryan,
Sleepless in Seattle
Old 02-24-00, 06:48 PM
Banned

While I wouldn't give this film a raving thumbs up, I liked it and have pre-ordered it. I think it has a pretty good 'look' to it and am hoping that it holds up to repeated viewings.

I suggest you rent (or catch on cable) before buying.
Old 02-27-00, 12:12 AM
Cool New Member

I watched the whole thing....a BIG waste of an evening. I guess I've seen worse movies, but not too many. Wouldn't recommend it at all. Traded it withing 10 minutes of watching it.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 02-28-00, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bad movie. Horrible pacing.
Old 03-01-00, 03:05 AM

This movie is somewhat of a re-make of "I Married a Monster From Outer Space" from the fifties. If you have insomnia this is what the doctor prescribes.
Old 03-04-00, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best part was the last 1/2 hour. Otherwise was boring and fell asleep twice

Capt
Old 03-06-00, 07:10 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Packer:
Has anyone seen this DVD? Is it any good and how is the 5.1 audio?<HR>

Rented it a couple days ago. Was pretty good. On a 1 to 10 scale I guess it's around a 6. As for the audio...well I have THX system and I don't recall it being that note worthy. Good flick to rent, not a one I would buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.