Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Anyone See Disneys Black Cauldron?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Anyone See Disneys Black Cauldron?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-00, 07:45 PM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing the previews of this when I was young and still havent seen it! It looked intriguing and I know it wasnt one of Disneys "hits' but has anyone seen this?

------------------
"DEATH TO VIDEODROME! LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!"
Old 08-07-00, 08:20 PM

I didn't like it very much...

Probably because I read the book first. In fact, I read the whole series before I saw this movie.

Besides being based on the SECOND book in the series (The Book of Three was the first one), Disney pretty much butchered and took vast liberties with the entire storyline from beginning to the end. I don't understand what Disney was thinking. Some of the major characters...and I mean MAJOR characters to the plot...don't even appear here. The entire ending has been horribly rewritten to exclude the characters. In fact, there are some downright confusing moments and other where you'll just be shaking your head in disgust at the way Disney rewrote this story.

Anyway, I suggest a rent first. This was IMHO definately one of Disney's low-points for animated movies. In fact, I was quite shocked at just how bad Disney had become when I saw this.

The book however, is quite good.

[This message has been edited by ubasti (edited August 07, 2000).]
Old 08-07-00, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
i have to agree with ubasti. he is pretty much right on. i also read the books as a kid but did not see the movie until about a year ago. finally rented it on vhs.

it was a really terrible movie. very boring, very slow, crummy animation, and very cheesy. nothing like the books.

definitely a low point for DiSney. i would definitely rent before you buy!
Old 08-07-00, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed. Saw it as a kid, boring then, boring now. It was no exception in that dark era of cheap animation. It's like Disney saw the Ralph Baski Hobbit stuff and said "We can do that cheaper and make it for kids" Not even any guilty pleasure appeal like Black Hole.

[This message has been edited by kunert (edited August 07, 2000).]
Old 08-09-00, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was ok. but nothing compared to the book
Old 08-09-00, 06:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Did you know that Tim Burton was hired to work on this film, but then fired because his creatures were "too scary?" Typical Disney...
Old 08-10-00, 02:27 PM

I agree too, I loved the book series. I was a bit dissappionted with the movie, I bought it when it was released on VHS a few years ago. It was nothing like i thought it would be. As much as I wanted to love this movie, I just couldn't

Lion King is still my fav disney movie, anyone know whens its commin to DVD?
Old 08-10-00, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey! Same here, I saw the trailer as a kid and the Merlin fighting scene was so awesome! But I never got to see the entire movie...

Lion King is one of my favorites too
Word is the DVD will be released 2002-2005, if I remember correctly. Fact of the matter is, it won't be released anytime soon.

Hopefully it'll be announced and released next year 2001 but that's just wishful thinking on my part