Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What to get (Warner Buy 5 Get One Free)?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

What to get (Warner Buy 5 Get One Free)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-00, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to decide what to get from the list of choices Warner gives you in the buy five get one free deal. I was thinking about Blazing Saddles but the Amazon.com review says the audio is bad. Is that the case? What about Dave? The Right Stuff? Right Stuff is a flipper from what I read in a user review (I hate how they still aren't very clear about these - it only says it's a single layer DVD. Is Blazing Saddles also a flipper as it is single layer?).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-08-00, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, that list is pretty slim pickings. I debated between Beetlejuice, Blazing Saddles, and Pleasantville. I ended up choosing the last because I've seen Beetlejuice about 1000 times on TBS, and you're right, the Blazing Saddles mono sound leaves something to be desired. And besides, even if Pleasantville stinks, as many have told me it has, it's probably got the highest retail value. If you don't have any of the movies on the list, I'd go with Dark City - it's great.
Old 08-08-00, 05:16 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Meatpants:
Yeah, that list is pretty slim pickings. I debated between Beetlejuice, Blazing Saddles, and Pleasantville. I ended up choosing the last because I've seen Beetlejuice about 1000 times on TBS, and you're right, the Blazing Saddles mono sound leaves something to be desired. And besides, even if Pleasantville stinks, as many have told me it has, it's probably got the highest retail value. If you don't have any of the movies on the list, I'd go with Dark City - it's great.<HR>

The Pleasantville DVD has lots of great extras that make you appreciate the movie. Particularly interesting is the commentary by Randy Newman about why he scored the movie the way he did which is, so far as I can tell, unique. After watching the extras, you will not think that the movie "stinks," and will probably wind up appreciating the movie.
Old 08-08-00, 05:40 PM

I thought Pleasantville was an ok movie. The subject matter was a little disturbing I think. I didn't like it enough to want to own it. I saw Dark City in the theater and liked it but I don't think I want to own this one either. I was thinking about maybe getting Dave. It's a good movie and the picture and sound quality I believe got a good review. I should also see what The Mask Platinum Series has for extras.

Thanks.