Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Finally, a GOOD Hong Kong gun movie... 2000 AD

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Finally, a GOOD Hong Kong gun movie... 2000 AD

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-00, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, a modern Hong Kong flick that has really good gun play! It's been too long. I am referring to Gordon Chan's recently released "2000 AD".

Gordon Chan is the director of such films as Final Option, First Option, Beast Cops, and Fist of Legend. The first two are about the SDU (Hong Kong's version of SWAT, though they look more like the SAS) and are possibly the best "elite forces" movies ever made. Exciting action scenes, tight pacing, deftly-handled character development (usually), and attention to real tactics and equipment. Chan's style is closer to Michael Mann (Heat) than it is to John Woo, which may or may not be a good thing to you.

Anyway, 2000 AD is a fun little techno-thriller movie. It's well-paced (rare in today's Hong Kong product) and well-shot, but what really sets the film apart is the action!

Damn, there are some COOL shootouts in this movie. They're more brutal and fast-paced than what John Woo might do, but they still show interest and flair. It's the little details that count: The SWAT team doesn't just burst through the door, they get into the proper breaching position first. The diplomatic security team doesn't just carry handguns, they have MP5s mounted inside briefcases and they actually make use of them. It's just that little bit of enthusiasm combined with good editing and camerawork that make the action here better than the rest. "Purple Storm" is another recent major HK action thriller but its action scenes are different. They're competently put together, but you rarely get that invigorating feel that occurs when watching an inspired action scene. It's the work of pros, but they don't seem too interested. "Gen-X Cops" is even worse.

Anyway, 2000 AD is certainly worth a rent and possibly a buy. The DVD is only $15.50 at reliable HK online retailers like HiVi Zone. Aside from some jaggies, the picture very smooth and nice. Definitely among the best-looking HK DVDs (though far below the benchmark, Stormriders). The 5.1 sound is good, the removeable English subtitles get the job done, and there are a few cast bios and trailers. The featurette is not subtitled, unfortunately.

I suggest renting 2000 AD, Purple Storm, and Gen-X Cops all at once. I think you'll agree that 2000 AD has the best action and the best pacing. Heck, looking at all the Hong Kong films falling under the recent "Hollywood-action-thriller-wannabe" glut:
Downtown Torpedoes
Big Bullet
Extreme Crisis
Enter the Eagles
Best of the Best
Other pieces of crap that I can't remember.

Only 2000 AD and Big Bullet distinguish themselves. The rest range from horrid to boring. So give 2000 AD a shot. Here's hoping they release Final Option on DVD soon!