Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review needed for Star Wars 1,4,5,6 DVD!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review needed for Star Wars 1,4,5,6 DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-00, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to know how good these are. I can make a trade for them,but i have to give up some of my favorite dvd's for them. I love star wars and i've wanted them on dvd for some time know. let me know please!

------------------
www.dvdtracker.com/~gusamo
Old 07-29-00, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lay off the drugs.
Old 07-29-00, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frank unless you have something helpful to say, stay the hell of my post.

------------------
Old 07-29-00, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I have something helpful to say. their is no DVD of star wars. none that lucas has issued. what you will be trading for is VCD, and i wouldn't want to ruin my collection with any VCD junk. call me a purest, but i'm well able to wait till lucas releases these films on dvd himself, with offical extra material, and proper sound. the choice is up to you. they are bootlegged. so the quality all depends on what they transfered it from, LD? Tapes? well you should find out. and they might have different language tracks. i say you get more info on it before juping in. i would say IMO just wait. keep those cool dvd's of yours.
Old 07-29-00, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree...wait for the official US release....
Old 07-29-00, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that there isn't an offical release of the dvd set, but there are bootlegs. The ones that Im talking about are tranfers for the ld to dvd. If you have seen them are they very good tranfers and is the sound anygood?

------------------
Old 07-29-00, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have only heard that they are okay at best....definitely would not trade any current movies or pay for a transfer that is less than DVD quality....you should just go out and buy a VHS copy of these movies...
Old 07-29-00, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by gusamo:
I know that there isn't an offical release of the dvd set, but there are bootlegs. The ones that Im talking about are tranfers for the ld to dvd. If you have seen them are they very good tranfers and is the sound anygood?<HR>

The problem is that no one can really give you a review of a bootleg. There are dozens of different SW bootlegs out there (most of which originated from LD sources), all of varying quality. You can't be sure of how good a boot is until you actually play it yourself.

Even if someone gave a good review to one with the same cover as yours, there's no guarantee that the bootleg will be identical to yours. There's not much quality control with pirated videos.

Having said that, most of the bootleg reviews I've seen have said that the picture quality for the Star Wars films is fine. However, I've heard mixed reviews about the sound. Plus, most of them include non-removable subtitles -- sometimes with both English and Chinese on the screen.

Personally, I think you should keep your DVDs and not do the trade. You can go on eBay and pick up a used LD player dirt cheap right now. Do that, and then buy the real laserdiscs for the films (which will, of course, be better than the bootlegs anyway). Plus you can also pick up things like Indiana Jones, Godfather, or whatever else you want...

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 07-29-00, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going by what you guys say I should wait and I agree with you. I'll just wait and get them when they come out on real dvd.

------------------
Old 07-31-00, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got some of these from ebay. While not the greatest quality, it's just cool having them on DVD with some kick A$$ sound.

My Empire disc has the .5 second sound delay which sucks, but 1,4,6 are pretty good. Only episode 1 has chapter stops. The sound on that one says it's dolby digital but the same sounds come out of every speaker. It doesn't sound horrible though, just not 5.1.

I'm glad I made the purchase (114.00) total for all 4 movies.

------------------
"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake."
The New Crack
Old 08-01-00, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Personally, I think you should keep your DVDs and not do the trade. You can go on eBay and pick up a used LD player dirt cheap right now. Do that, and then buy the real laserdiscs for the films (which will, of course, be better than the bootlegs anyway). <HR>
That's what I did - for $193, I got a used Pioneer LD player that automatically flipped sides, and it included Star Wars and Jedi.

RD
Old 08-01-00, 07:06 AM

please look at the other thread for a review of episode 17.