Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review for Brazil - 2 Thumbs down!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review for Brazil - 2 Thumbs down!

Old 03-13-00, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know many people on this forum like this movie. That is why I rented it the other night.

This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life. I wasted an hour of my life before I ended the pain and turned it off.

Unless you're a fan of this movie, do not buy this dvd!
Old 03-13-00, 02:18 AM

agreed....that movie sucks azz
Old 03-13-00, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I'm a huge fan, and gladly purchased the Criterion version (which I still haven't finished watching all the extras)!

To each their own.

------------------
-verbal

"I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that this was all started by a mouse."
-Walt Disney

The reason my DVD player was the "most expensive" gift I've ever received.

[This message has been edited by Keyser Soze (edited March 13, 2000).]
Old 03-13-00, 05:07 AM

You know what? I haven't watched mines yet. I bought it because it seemed like everyone raved about it on this forum. Just like when I bought ExistenZ... I thought it was going to be good, but it sucked. I am getting the feeling that I won't like Brazil. I'll just have to watch it sometime.
Old 03-13-00, 08:38 AM

Count me in too! I also didn't like Brazil.
I'm all for weird movies and all, but this one was just dumb.
Old 03-13-00, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again, too much hype ruins any movie.
Old 03-13-00, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You people must be crackheads. BRAZIL director's cut is Terry Gilliam's masterpiece.

------------------
"THIS IS WHO WE ARE"
Old 03-13-00, 09:07 PM

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I saw all of the reviews for the Criterion dvds such as Brazil and the rest. I looked at their descriptions and didn't think I'd like any of them.

I began to wonder if it is an age thing. I'm in my 20's and although I didn't think Armageddon was the best movie ever, I think I'd enjoy it more than the other criterion disks. So my question is do you think age has dramatic affect on who likes Brazil type movies?
Old 03-13-00, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A brilliant film at least in my eyes, if you don't 'get' Gilliam's style of filmmaking, you won't 'get' Brazil. Sadly this film suffers from the Trek-Syndrome, you either love it or you hate it. I find it works on so many levels and gets better after consecutive viewings. There's only been two films that I've watched for the first time then immediately watched from beginning to end again afterwards. First was The Usual Suspects and second was Brazil, and considering the film is 2 1/2 hours long - I think that says a lot.
Old 03-13-00, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I saw all of the reviews for the Criterion dvds such as Brazil and the rest. I looked at their descriptions and didn't think I'd like any of them. I began to wonder if it is an age thing. I'm in my 20's and although I didn't think Armageddon was the best movie ever, I think I'd enjoy it more than the other criterion disks. So my
question is do you think age has dramatic affect on who likes Brazil type movies?<HR>

I'm 15 and own the following Criterion discs...

Silence of the Lambs
Robocop
Brazil
Armageddon
Hard Boiled

Granted, these are the more popular titles in the collection, but the first three were bought sight unseen on reccomendation alone and I've really come to love Brazil and Silence of the Lambs, and to a lesser extent Robocop. I bought Armageddon because it was a fun mindless piece of cinema, and I really enjoyed it. I bought Hard Boiled because I really enjoyed seeing a cut pan and scan version of it on late night TV and thought it deserved viewing in it's intended form. I've pre-ordered The Last Temptation of Christ and hope to eventually pick up the following...

The Seventh Seal
Seven Samurai
The 39 Steps
The Third Man
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Time Bandits
The Most Dangerous Game

Because I tend to like most of the films Criterion puts out, I look for them when they play on Bravo and try to tape them. To get back to your question, I do think age has a lot to do with whether people like Gilliam's work or other 'obscure' films. As easy as it would be for me to say that most people my age appreciate different kinds of film, and by that I mean different genres, countries, decades, the simple fact is most people my age, my olders sister's age, my parent's age prefer seeing crap like The Haunting for a second time then experiencing an older, perhaps slower film for the first time. I wish I was the rule, not the exception to it, as I would've seen American Beauty again this weekend instead of Mission to Mars. Ugh!

But I'm getting off topic, perhaps a new topic should be opened to debate this further, I bet I know what Classicman would have to say on the topic.
Old 03-13-00, 10:32 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by THX 1138:
You people must be crackheads.

<HR>

Brilliant, only "this movie sucks azz" tops your take on the film.

------------------
Condone first degree murder! Advocate cannibalism! Eat sh*t! Filth is my politics! Filth is my life!

[This message has been edited by videodrome (edited March 13, 2000).]
Old 03-13-00, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too think this is Gilliam's masterpiece and definitely one of my all-time favorites...but it wasn't always. I have to admit the first time I watched it I was less than thoroughly impressed, although I did not think it sucked - I just did not quite 'get it' at that time.

About eight viewings later (and that is a LOT of repeat viewings for me) I am delighted with almost every scene in this movie, it really does grow on you if you're a skeptic. Of course, if you really did hate it then it's gonna be pretty hard to try to watch again I guess.

One thing that makes it very enjoyable for me is simply Gilliam's style. Some of this is biting satire and allegorical comments on society that are almost more significant now than in 1985 and then other items seem to be pure Pythonesque goofiness just put in there for laughs (why does that dog have crossed bandages on his ass?) deciding which is which is interesting. This is an awesome mix of disturbing imagery and black humor.

My wife hates it too though - can't get her to sit through it.
Old 03-13-00, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, for all those that hated Brazil, how did you feel about the Sid Sheinberg cut a.k.a. The Love Conquers All version?

Granted the film is not for everyone. Strip away all the humor and fantasy and you have a very downbeat and dark film. I guess it's all the elements put together that I love it so much. It's refreshing to see a funny film be so dark. It's a great non-Hollywood film. Ultimately, it's a perfect "cult film."

Old 03-13-00, 11:59 PM

Heat (Michael Mann) was a masterpeice

Brazil was caca
Old 03-14-00, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to concur with the negatives people expressed about this movie. I thought it was extremely convoluted and confusing so I suppose I didn't "get" it like some of you. I'll probably watch it again on account of the praise it gets but somehow I doubt I'll like it (partially b/c I don't wanna have to spend the mucho dinero required to buy the Criterion dvd )
Old 03-14-00, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brazil is genius, one of the few truly "great" movies of the last twenty years.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 03-14-00, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

I also thought that the movie was not for me at all. It just seemed to be one of those movies that was -weird- for the sake of being -weird-, and if you are one of the people who don't like it, the supporters take a "well, it was just too intelligent for you" attitude. I think that is B.S.. I had to MAKE myself finish this movie because I enjoy Terry Gilliam's work.This is only my opinion of course.

And does anybody else think that sometimes there seems to be a film that people automatically assume is a masterpiece or a classic solely because of the Criterion label. I think that Armageddon was proof of that, I mean "Classic and Important Contemporary films," PLEASE.
Old 03-14-00, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Heat was a masterpiece? Give me a break. Cut out about 45 minutes and you would have an almost great film. As it is, i think that it's rather overblown. And I'm not talking about cutting it for the sake of saving time. This film tried to do too much and even at three hours, did not accomplish everything it tried to. IMHO
Old 03-14-00, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
i have given this film bad marks on the forum but i have decided to watch it again & will makemy verdict again. i rented it on vhs (only way i could find it in my area) & the vhs was in pretty shitty condition. i was completely bored by the end. since everyone says this is a movie that grows on you & you have to see the directors cut, i ordered it recently & got the criterion for $20. i a going to make myself watch eveything & then see how i feel. there have been quite a few movies that i had to see more than once to really enjoy & i will give brazil a chance to be one of those. should have the special edition anyday now. and what the hell, if i dont like it, i can always trade it.
Old 03-14-00, 07:04 PM

I don't love or hate this movie. It's interesting, and has some good ideas, but I don't think it is a masterpiece. When I saw it for the first time I walked out of the theatre thinking "Orwell on acid." I haven't changed my mind. It is obviously derivative of 1984, and while that's not necessarily bad, I thought the original story was better. I prefer "1984" the movie as well.

The fact that it is a Criterion doesn't make that much of a difference--if you don't like the film that much, the extras won't make a difference.

------------------
The gift that keeps on giving
Old 03-14-00, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Brazil and it is one of my favorite movies. It is rather demanding of the audience, however. I have a feeling that people who dislike The Thin Red Line will also dislike Brazil. Regarding the age thing mentioned before, I'm 17 years old. Brazil is definitely a film that needs to be watched more than once to be fully appreciated.

[This message has been edited by The Zizz (edited March 17, 2000).]
Old 03-14-00, 10:17 PM

I made a review on this http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001243.html , feel free to drop some feedback over there. I, for the record, deeply enjoyed Brazil.
Old 03-14-00, 10:54 PM

I watched it once, understood it, but really disliked it. Its just not very entertaining and that the bottom line with me is a movie has to be entertaining.

The movie does send a strong message and probably portrays where society as a whole is heading. Beaurocrats and politicians should be forced to watch this movie in hopes that we could overt a future similar to the one in the movie.
Old 03-14-00, 11:44 PM

If I had three thumbs; then Brazil would get it.
It's indeed Gilliam's masterpiece.

------------------
-Stefan
Old 03-15-00, 07:31 PM

Once I was a jelouse boyfriend...but that felt better than watching this caca

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.