Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review of Jaws (DTS) DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-00, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched this DVD tonight and I must say I was VERY PLEASED with the quality of this DVD! The video transfer was outstanding (although slightly soft) and the DTS 5.1 re-mix of the original mono mix was a pleasant surprise as well. I viewed the DVD on a 58" HDTV and the anamorphic treatment done to this DVD was a pleasure to watch.

The film itself (which I have not watched in 15 years) absolutely holds up today as well as it did in 1975.

If you are even a slight fan of this film I would recommend this DVD wholeheartily!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-00, 01:35 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait... your subject says DTS review and in the body you mention DD5.1. Which version did you see and what do you think of the audio?
Old 07-11-00, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The video was very good in my book....great colors!!! The scenes at night against the sunset....beautiful!!!! The audio was very good considering the age of this film as there was no surround sound but as far as the center and mains.....I possess the DTS version and the sound was outstanding...cannot vouch for the DD version.
Old 07-11-00, 05:43 PM
CSA

I purchased the DTS version of "JAWS" last night and rented the Dolby version and will compare the two tonight. I did check out couple of scenes in DTS after I got the disc at midnight at my Tower Video store and was very impressed with what I saw and heard.
I also have the original mono deluxe laserdisc set in my collection and I am just amazed at the number of people on other DVD forums had complained that they miss the original mono sound. Yes, I agree that it would have been nice if Universal had included the mono track on the DVD but I will not miss it. For years, I wished "JAWS would be released in a remixed stereo version like Warner Brothers did with "DIRTY HARRY by having Chase re-do the sound and what was done to the original mono track was superb!
I will be back later after I had compared the two soundtracks.

-CSA

[This message has been edited by CSA (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old 07-12-00, 09:52 AM
Banned

I feel that this new 5.1 track is a disaster. Every single sound effect in the friggin' movie has been changed. Ive seen the original so many times that all the newly added crap are so distracting. Gun shots, engine sound, explosions EVERYTHING DIFFERENT! Even there is a new Jurassic Park/T-REX yell as the shark dies at the end. ALSO NEWLY added BELLS to the John Williams score at the end. Time for me to fire up my LD!
Old 07-12-00, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
well, i watched my DTS copy in full last night. i must admit that i was not that impressed with the sound but can't really complain since this is a 25 year old movie.

i would imagine that the DD version would be almost the same as the DTS. not a lot of use of surrounds and some rumble on the sub only in certain scenes. the transfer is outstanding. only some very minor dirt & grain in 1 or 2 scenes. looked like it had just been made a couple of years ago except for the bad 70's clothes & haircuts.

the movie itself was still very intense and had a couple of truly scary moments. let your kids watch & they will never get in the ocean until they are adults! it made me even a little scared because it gave me that feeling that i felt when i watched it as a kid.

the extras are pretty nice. i couldn't help but think that the documentary seemed a little rushed. that is probably b/c we all know that it was cut in half from the laserdisc version. there were lots of storyboards, tons of production photos, 2 okay outtakes, & some uninteresting deleted scenes. i would have rather the studio take out all of the above & have kept the entire documentary intact myself.

all in all, i am very pleased with this disc. also, was i the only one who thought that the beginning nude scene was a good bit darker than i remember? just curious what some of you think of that.

now, where is Jaws II?

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd

[This message has been edited by brianluvdvd (edited July 12, 2000).]
Old 07-12-00, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Frank Black:
Even there is a new Jurassic Park/T-REX yell as the shark dies at the end. <HR>

that is mentioned in the doumentary that was originally from the laserdisc, so the sound is obviously on the laserdisc. from Spielbergs explanation, it sounded like it was in there the whole time but it was probably hard to hear in the mono track.
Old 07-12-00, 08:41 PM
Banned

I talking about a new monster yell as soon as the shark blows up... NOT the sound when the shark is sinking.
Old 07-13-00, 04:58 AM
Topgun94

I rented the DTS version and will be happy to stay with my LD box set. I usually don't like mono films redone for 5.1 sound and this was no exception. The fact thay they added new sounds (at least it seemed to me they did) made it even worse. The video quality is good, but not enough of an improvement to buy the DVD. The LD box set is definitely the definitive version of Jaws.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames

[This message has been edited by Topgun94 (edited July 13, 2000).]
Old 07-14-00, 09:46 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Frank Black:
ALSO NEWLY added BELLS to the John Williams score at the end. Time for me to fire up my LD! <HR>

Um...the bells were always there. You probably couldn't hear them in the crappy original mono track.

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
Old 07-14-00, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if your like me and have a 16x9 TV then this Anamorphic DVD is far beyond any Laserdisc put out.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 07-17-00, 04:58 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Justin Doring:
Um...the bells were always there. You probably couldn't hear them in the crappy original mono track.

<HR>

Sorry bub, maybe you need to clean your ears. The bells were never there.