DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Saving Private Ryan DTS?

Old 05-07-00, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does DTS really make that much of a difference in Saving Private Ryan? I heard the Dolby Digital version and thought it was amazing, but I want to get the best sound possible.
Old 05-07-00, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
i hate to not really answer your question but i have read all kinds of reviews comparing the two. i personally have not compared the two but i have the DD version (cause i wanted the extra documentary).

the reviews i have read vary greatly from some people stating there is not much difference at all to stating that there is some much of difference that you cannot compare the two.

i dont know which way to go. the documentary is nice but one of these days i am going to rent the DTS version & just compare the two for my own opinion.
Old 05-07-00, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
K313, if you want the best possible audio track from SPR, go buy the dts version. Once you get it, and listen to it, please let us know what you think about the dts version. Just bear in mind, you should have a good set of 5 speakers and a capable powered subwoofer to really get the most out of dts DVDs.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-07-00, 09:25 PM

I have a pretty good sound system set up and I can personally tell a difference. Things just seem a little bit more vibrant to me and clear. I will say however that you have to be a person that pays particular attention to the sound or you won't care. All of my family members and my wifes family can't tell the difference, but then again most of them couldn't point out much differenc between Pro Logic and DD 5.1 which to me is night and day.

So, if you are a person that is like me and pays attention to all the little details that your speakers can produce then by all means you will notice the DTS version being better. If you are someone who doesn't pay particular attention then it will easily go unnoticed.
This is my humble opinion of course.
Old 05-08-00, 08:56 PM

There is a difference between the 2. I bought the DTS version and rented the DD version and played the Normandy Beach part over and over on each disk. The DTS had a sharper and more vibrant sound as well as a deeper bass sound. I even had my friend listen and didn't tell him which one was playing and he liked the DTS version better.
Old 05-08-00, 10:09 PM

The dts version blowed me away. I thought i was actually in the war, the sound was incredible. this is the movie that must be watched and owned in dts, as it rocks.
Old 05-08-00, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the DTS version of saving Private Ryan and all I have to say is DAMN!! I have heard both DD and DTS and I pick DTS hands down, no questions asked. I love that scene at the begining when they arrive on the beach. So awesome...

------------------
------------
Mark Jones
Old 05-09-00, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had the DD version which was fine because initially I didn't have 5.1 or DTS. Last month I got my net HT setup and ordered the DTS version due to all the hoopla around it after Iheard my first DTS track (Bone Collector) and was very impressed comparing it side to side with the DD 5.1.

Played both on the system and I can honestly say there is a tremendous difference in the scene on the beach. WOW!

The posts above are correct. You feel like you are in the war and on that beach. DTS is crisper and gives you more of the sense that you are right in the middle of the action. If you have a DTS decoder, no question, you want that version.

IMHO DTS shines not only when there is a lot of action going on, but also with subtle sounds (like the cobblestones in chapter 6 of Bone Collector). To me it sounds more lifelike than the DD5.1. Don't get me wrong, DD5.1 is great, but DTS is better.

Given my experience with DTS, it is the most important "extra" for me. I am willing to give up a couple deleted scenes, or another small extra or two, to have the better sound. Was very disappointed to find out MIB LE was not going to have the DTS track, so I just got the DTS version.
Old 05-09-00, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sometimes I don't understand the allegiance to extras, deleted scene, etc, versus superior audio soundtracks for the WHOLE running length of the film! How many times can you watch deleted scenes? Once, Twice, for about 20 minutes if you're lucky. After that, the film is the thing. The audio should pull you into the film and not let go until the credit roll. In this respect, it's a no-brainer to choose a film with a better audio soundtrack, and this means picking dts DVDs over DD DVDs for me. That's the real BONUS of dts DVDs: Superior audio.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-09-00, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(sigh) Here we go again. I'll reiterate the position of common sense:

Many movies - dare I say most? - don't benefit from a DTS remix, which fails to improve the audio quality of speech. Dialogue-driven films, like Interview with the Vampire, sound virtually identical in DTS vs. DD5.1. The DTS label is just a gimmick to get you to repurchase the title. In these cases, I'll always choose DD5.1 + extras over a bare-bones DTS disc that sounds the same.

SPR is a rare exception; the reviews I've read agree that the DTS version is markedly better. The same goes for Dragonheart and Antz, and I'm guessing The Red Violin would benefit a great deal from a DTS mix.

Bottom line: Think and read reviews before dropping more money into something which might sound a lot better... or might not sound any better at all.

- David Stein

[This message has been edited by sfsdfd (edited May 09, 2000).]
Old 05-09-00, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You are correct, I would not get dialogue type films on DTS (unless that was just an added bonus). Things like Galaxy Quest, MIB, Lethal Weapon...have effects that make sense to have DTS.

I am only hoping the Antz I ordered today is the DTS version (FamilyWonder) since they don't say. Same thing happened to a friend and he got GQ DTS version from them and was very happy. Since they are the same retail, I may have to exchange for the DTS version if necessary... I hear the DTS Antz is excellent..
Old 07-05-00, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
well, i wanted to know what all the hype was about between the DTS version & the DD version. my friend brought his DD version down & we compared the two.

tried to get each to the same amount of volume & i must say that we both felt there was a distinct difference in the quality of sound. as stated above, the bass was deeper & more fullfilling. the crack of shots did seem really crisper & it seems i heard some sounds on the DTS version that i did not hear on the DD version. not saying that they weren't there on the DD version but it was just easier to hear things on the DTS.

having seen the documentary that was included on the DD version, i would still definitely go with the DTS version. the documentary was good & i wish i had it, but i doubt i would watch it many times.

and by the way, does it irritate anyone else how on most every DTS disc you get, it always has a screen right when you put the disc in that makes you decide between DTS & Dolby surround? and better yet, they automatically put the select cursor on the Dolby Surround & you have to move it to the DTS.

just seems funny to me since if someone goes to the trouble of buying a DTS disc, you would think that it would automatically play the DTS track or at least put the cursor on the DTS selection area first. (i know, a silly minor gripe but it does seem stupid)

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 07-07-00, 08:31 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by brianluvdvd:
and by the way, does it irritate anyone else how on most every DTS disc you get, it always has a screen right when you put the disc in that makes you decide between DTS & Dolby surround? and better yet, they automatically put the select cursor on the Dolby Surround & you have to move it to the DTS.
<HR>

Almost as annoying as DVD's that come with the DPL soundtrack as track 1, and the DD track as track 2, meaning you gotta remember to switch it manually. I've forgotten to do that a couple times till shortly into the movie (Fight Club being one of them.. man, what a difference :-)

------------------
DVD's ARE Addictive
Old 07-07-00, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DTS version is much better sound-wise.
If you have a DTS decoder, you will hear the difference.
Craig
Old 07-07-00, 07:48 PM
Banned

DTS, DD, no difference.
Old 07-09-00, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got suckered into the whole DTS thing and I am not really that impressed. I had heard that hearing DTS for the first time would be like hearing 5.1 for the first time. Whatever. Maybe if you can afford a THX reciever then it might a vast difference.
Old 07-09-00, 02:47 PM

There is no difference. It's all in your head.
Old 07-10-00, 12:00 PM

The real diffrence is that DD and DTS are mixed separately from one another. It really is a subjective thing in most cases. DTS usually "sounds" better because it's louder overall.