Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Quick Review: Sleepy Hollow

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Quick Review: Sleepy Hollow

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-00, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you hate horror movies and can't stand the sight of blood, avoid it. Otherwise, this is one not to be missed..

Great atmosphere .. ok special fx .. cool decapitations.. fun movie.

Noticed some slight pixellation here and there, but nothing too distracting..

The DVD has cast bios, a photo gallery (stills from the movie), commentary by Tim Burton (Funny sometimes, but mostly boring and not very inciteful), interviews (video-taped interviews with Tim Burton and the cast.. enjoyed this one a lot), Behind the scenes featurette (Shows how some special fx shots were achieved, conceptual drawings by Burton, from storyboard to finished product, etc.)

If you like the movie, get the DVD.

Beyond the Blade

-Hanzou
Old 07-06-00, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
i rented this dvd the other night & let me say, i was glad it was rented. this movie was not very good. it was not eerie, creepy, or even funny. it is was 'there'.

i tried so hard to be interested in it but about halfway thru, the movie just seems to lose its vision & just becomes a silly run of the mill, scooby-doo mystery with those meddling kids solving it.

there were some really cool effects, decapitations, etc. but these could not save the storyline. the sound & transfer were good. extras nothing to speak of. the behind the scenes was decent. there were some revealing looks at how some of the special effects were done that i found interesting.

i did not even try to attempt the commentary since i found the movie so lackluster. any other opinions out there? i would say that it is not even worth a rental. just catch it on hbo later if you must see it.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 07-06-00, 04:23 PM

This has one of the worse commentaries ever.
Burton does not say much at all. There's too much silence in between his talk.
And I thought the Mel Brooks commentaries were bad.

The movie on the other hand did look great and I liked the murder mystery plot.
Old 07-06-00, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Pros

Terrific atmosphere
Wonderful production design by Rick Heinrichs
Very good video and audio transfers

Cons

Virtually everything else. Only Depp seems remotely devoted to his role. The acting is dreary, and downright monotonic in places. There is no chemistry at all between Ricci and Depp. The film is not truly scary, or even suspenseful, at all.

I'm glad I rented it.

[This message has been edited by JustinS (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old 07-06-00, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This movie was incredibly boring and inane. A terrible waste of time. I'm glad I rented it rather than purchased it--but I wish I didn't bother renting it. Cool visuals alone cannot make a movie entertaining.
Old 07-06-00, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie had all the trappings of a great movie but it lacked depth(character) and most importantly heart. Burton created a surreal world and atmosphere that oozes Sleepy Hollow into reality. But great visuals alone can't save a predictable plot. Too bad the story couldn't match the visual flair of its director.

The film is a worthy rental - only to see what could have been a great film.

------------------
My Addiction
Old 07-06-00, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two words: Haphazard, sloppy. The plot points were just plain silly and made no sense. The ending tried pitifully to tie them together. Even the "mystery" was about as subtle as a billboard.

Of 290+ DVDs, this is one of two I purchased sight-unseen and ended up hocking (the other being The Man in the Iron Mask.)

- David Stein
Old 07-06-00, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree. This is one of my favorites....
Old 07-07-00, 04:26 AM

I too thought it was a good movie when I saw it in the theatre, and again on DVD when I purchased it. I am fan of Tim Burton's work and stylistic aproach to movies. There is just something about James and the Giant Peach, Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, etc. that you can tell they are Burton movies.

You'll either love the movie, or hate the movie from the comments above, and including mine. Seems to read that there is no middle ground. ;-)

------------------
DVD's ARE Addictive
Old 07-07-00, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this film. It's the ultimate Tim Burton film. Possibly the most atmospheric
film I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot.
The photography and music are terrific. I
thought the performances were entirely appropiate and that it has a reasonably good
script. All in all one of my favorite films
of the past few years.
Old 07-08-00, 09:47 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this for the first time tonight.

I was a little disappointed about half way through (because I had been expecting something else) but then it really grabbed my attention, although there were some slow parts.

I think you have to go into this movie knowing it's an adult Fairy Tale. The impression I had was that it was going to be more scientific (previews of Ichabod in his funky glasses ). But the atmosphere was great and I'm looking forward to seeing this again.

I also thought the 30 minute featurette was interesting, moderately informative and even funny at times. DON'T watch it before the movie, though. It goes over a lot of the effects scenes in the movie and will ruin the surprise of the spectacle they've created.

Didn't check out the audio commentary yet.

Given the quirkiness of it, I'd still recommend renting it first, but if you like Tim Burton movies, it's definitely something you should check out.
Old 07-08-00, 05:34 PM

Saw this in the theaters. I was really into it until halfway through when the bottom fell out(right after the slaughter scene). The evil witch chick behind it all was one of the lamest endings they could have thought of. I love the look and feel of Burton's films but you need a story too. Also, to horror fans, it's not scary at all nor does it really attempt to be.