Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Walking with Dinosaurs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-00, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone seen/own this DVD? I was thinking of buying it from Bestbuy.com with my free gc(s)
The review says its excellent but anyone else know if its worth 27.99 (from free gcs).
Is it good?

Thanks
Old 06-29-00, 05:47 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just watched mine last night. Had an 8:30 appointment, and watched the first episode at 10:00 p.m., figuring I'd save the others for another night.

Long story short, I went to sleep at 1:30 a.m. and arrived at my 8:30 appointment very tired. But it was worth it. Excellent series, great visuals and sound, very well narrated and very informative. A complete and enthralling, entertaining history of the evolution of the dinosaurs and mammals over several hundred million years, from first appearance to extinction. Get it. Run, don't walk.

Could I have been any more emphatic? GET IT NOW!!!!
Old 06-30-00, 03:09 AM
Topgun94

It is an excellent documentary and even though they do make guesses at some of the facts shown it is a great DVD. The Raptor bitching about the working conditions at the end of the making of disc was great also.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 07-01-00, 02:46 AM

I've watched the first episode on this DVD. Unfortunately I think that the dinosaurs are very fake looking. Some of them make stupid, unrealistic sounds. This movie is so much speculative garbage, really not enjoyable to any thinking person.
Old 07-01-00, 04:38 AM
Topgun94

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dvdsleuth:
I've watched the first episode on this DVD. Unfortunately I think that the dinosaurs are very fake looking. Some of them make stupid, unrealistic sounds. This movie is so much speculative garbage, really not enjoyable to any thinking person. <HR>

Okay, what kind of noises did the Dinosaurs make? There is no way to make a documentary about Dinosaurs without speculating. The format used opens up all kinds of ideas about Dinosaurs and is excellent for "thinking" people.

Old 07-02-00, 01:53 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Or maybe we can make them talk like in the Disney version of Dinosaur . I think Roger Ebert said it best in his review here: http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...05/051902.html

The grunting sounds that dinosaurs make in Walking didn't bother me at all. In fact it would have been less realistic if they didn't make any sound in the movie, because we know they made sounds in real life.

It's true we didn't know which sounds they made, but IMO it was a pretty decent guess. So between a) no sounds, b) Disney sounds, and c) Walking sounds, I think c) was the best choice. And that was the best that could be done until/unless they come back to life again.
Old 07-02-00, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is a great documentary...

I have this DVD and I'd highly recommend it. This is a DVD thay anyone can enjoy, it is really educational, and instead of taking your kids to see Dinosaur by Disney, you can actually stay home and watch thid DVD with your whole family.
Old 07-02-00, 02:57 PM
SS

Outstanding...I am 1/2 way through it and am loving every minute of it. An outstanding value even at full price. A must have DVD.