Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Carnival of Souls - Criterion

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Carnival of Souls - Criterion

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-00, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched the slightly longer cut on disc two of this wonderful new set. All I can say is -- wow! What a beautiful presentation of an atmospheric and ghostly film. I'm sure the film has never looked and sounded so good and the crystal clear imagery really accentuates the beauty of this low-budget films classic compositions. Visually and thematically Carnival of Souls is the bridge between Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Fellini, and Night of the Living Dead. I can't wait to watch all the extra materials.

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com
Old 05-19-00, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, too enjoyed this..after owning a crappy 2.99 Best Buy copy for three years!

Rest assured, the extras are SWEET!
I REALLY want to but the book on the Saltair and take a road trip.....

Criterion REALLY gave us a prime example of why they are so regarded.
(And I'm not a big Criterion fan.)
Old 05-20-00, 03:28 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have also become strangely captivated by Carnival of Souls. I really want a print of the movie poster (same as cover artwork) to hang on my wall. Problem is that none of the movie poster sites have it. I did find one site that has an original for $85, but I'm not sure if I want to pay that.

To keep this marginally on topic, if you are having doubts about buying CoS, get rid of them. This is an excellent Criterion title with good extras.
Old 05-21-00, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also keep in mind this isn't just an 'old movie'..if you liked Jacob's Ladder, The Sixt h Sense, any Bergman film..or a film that you put in expecting a cheese film..you will enjoy it.
I also think the vieweer draws parralels..I always got a Pink Floyd The Wall vibe(NOt the movie)..but that is a personal thing..

What is amazing is if you read and watch how these guys had NOTHING to work with, except a bare bones screenplay, and see what they did...30,000 dollars..same as Clerks!
It's amazing they accomplished what they did, only to go back into relative obscurity.

I guess I should also add 'The Shining' as one of the books it had an influence over, since Stephen King said it, and it was mentioned during the documentary.(Good Kingologists will remember The Shining was SUPPOSED to originally be set in an amusement park).

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the film, and biased, but truth be told, I hadn't watched that old vid copy for years...

I'm glad I waited.
Even though they are way different..the terms of not understanding fully one's own environment WILL appeal to a new crowd..again, if you liked how the Sixth Sense screwed with what was real, and what you thought was real, this Carnival ride is for you.

And I REALLY thank Criterion for this..it's like they got into my head and ut out two fo my fave films..Spinal Tap, this..but sadly...
NOT 'Metropolis'!
Can you imagine a dual disc set with the new rock scored one, and the other the classical, and a documentary on german Filmmaking?
Sweet.

Let's hope.
Old 05-21-00, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't watched my copy yet but I was wondering how different the two included versions are in your guy's opinions. It's only 5 minutes but I suppose that can make quite a difference. So what's the verdict here? Is it significant or trivial?

------------------
The bane of my existence monetary wise

[This message has been edited by Jamezuva (edited May 21, 2000).]
Old 05-21-00, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked this one up.
Three positive reviews + a Criterion = a definite buy!

Craig

[i]

------------------
"Outdoor art is for the birds." -Terry Allen

DVDTracker List

[This message has been edited by cwwallace (edited May 21, 2000).]
Old 06-21-00, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
i got this b/c of all the positive reviews & it sounded interesting...& let's just say that it is now traded.

very bland & slow horror (not really) film about a chick being chased by ghostly images. there is a twist but if you are a seasoned movie goer, you will guess it a mile away. i guess it was surprising & scary to people of the 60's but i thought it was just rather uninteresting. the organ soundtrack got on my nerves & this movie is not scary. it is not even eerie. it is just bland. i know, i know...very low budget, cult film, etc.

just wanted to have a different review in here since everyone seems so positive on it.
as far as the transfer goes, it is beautiful. perfect transfer & the sound is mono but is very crisp & clear.

the extras are awesom if you love the movie. i actually found that the short industrial films that are included on the 2nd disc were far more entertaining & enjoyable than Carnival of Souls itself. someone out there should buy the rights to these industrial films & release them. very funny stuff.

final say...if you are a fan of the film, pick this up. if you have never seen the film, i would suggest you rent it first or borrow someone's copy since the price is steep to buy it sight unseen as i did.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 06-21-00, 06:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As someone else said before, this movie does not have 90's pacing. As I said in a previous review, this movie isn't really very scary, but it is really creepy. I also figured out the ending way before I actually got to it, but for me that didn't ruin the film. If you're expecting The Shining or Army of Darkness or something you won't get it, but if you're expecting a low-key, atmospheric film which despite it's low budget, stiff acting and stilted screenplay, is still really good, then go for it!

------------------
The Labyrinth: Where Everything Seems Possible And Nothing Is What It Seems
....so nothing is possible?

[This message has been edited by Suprmallet (edited June 21, 2000).]
Old 06-21-00, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want a "low-key, atmospheric film which despite it's low budget, stiff acting and stilted screenplay, is still really good," buy Picnic at Hanging Rock, which sits at the very top of my creepy-movie list for a dozen reasons.

I wasn't crazy about Carnival of Souls. Maybe it's because it's one of those horror movies where you constantly shout at the heroine, Do this! Don't do that! but her actions seem stupid and irrational. Overall, brianluvdvd hit the nail on the head: this movie is bland.

- David Stein
Old 06-21-00, 07:41 PM
Topgun94

The movie is a bit bland, but its always a little unfair to look at a movie from a different era by todays standards. I still think its well worth the price if you love the drive-in type of B horror movies. It does have some excellent supplements as well. I started having flashbacks from my school days when seeing the Centron films.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 06-22-00, 04:12 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Topgun94:
The movie is a bit bland, but its always a little unfair to look at a movie from a different era by todays standards. I still think its well worth the price if you love the drive-in type of B horror movies. It does have some excellent supplements as well. I started having flashbacks from my school days when seeing the Centron films.
<HR>

OK, maybe my standards are just too high, but to me, a movie that is not a good movie is not worth watching. That goes whether or not it was a good movie given the low standards at the time it was released. For me to watch a movie today, it must be good by today's standards. Otherwise, why bother?
Old 06-22-00, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I try to judge movies both by today's standards and by those during its original release. I understand what makes Night of the Living Dead so great because I imagine the 1968 crowd, not being numb to violence and gore as we are today, watching the film - it must have been horrifying!

(spoilers)

But with Carnival of Souls... well, even in 1962, I can't see how this film was creepy. In the first hour and a half, nothing interesting happens except for the creepy guy showing up every once in a while. And he does so in a totally nonthreatening manner - he's more a voyeur than a stalker. The turtle's pace of the film and the miserable acting completely turned me off to what was going on otherwise.

And then, the big payoff: Zombies chase the girl down and mob her, and then she's found in the car... surprise, surprise, I'm glad I didn't see that coming three minutes into the film (literally!)

(/spoilers)

I understand that no great movie pleases everyone. But this one really hit me like a lead brick.

I'll restate my suggestion: If you really want to know what "creepy" is about, check out Picnic at Hanging Rock.

- David Stein

[This message has been edited by sfsdfd (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old 06-22-00, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I posted the original positive review of Carnival on this thread and I still consider it a beautiful, creepy, original film. I have seen Picnic at Hanging Rock and consider THAT to be a completely pretentious, pointless, boring, and stupid film. To each his own.

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com
Old 06-22-00, 05:09 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sfsdfd:
If you want a "low-key, atmospheric film which despite it's low budget, stiff acting and stilted screenplay, is still really good," buy Picnic at Hanging Rock, which sits at the very top of my creepy-movie list for a dozen reasons.
<HR>

Picnic at Hanging Rock is being broadcast on TCM at 11 p.m., est, on Monday. I already have the TIVO set up to record it.
Old 06-22-00, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both of the discussed films I found eerie. With Carnival of Souls I think the organ score is a lot of it - the makeup of the zombies is laughable, the acting is fair to poor, but the film still creeps me out a little. Also well done and I think ground-breaking was the idea of the silence in 2 scenes. Picnic at Hanging Rock is in a totally different league - major league - very stylish and beautifully shot. The thing I was a little put off by with the COS Criterion was that everything really could have been put on 1 disc - much of the additional material/information was duplicated and triplicated.

[This message has been edited by bdots48 (edited June 24, 2000).]
Old 06-22-00, 08:37 PM

I'd never seen it before and was very pleased.
One question. I was watching, actually reading, the interview with Candace Hilligoss and right around her talk about Roy Scheider, the text skips over several screens (one section, I think). It was okay after, but I'm no speed-reader. Nothing big just peculiar. Anyone?

Old 06-23-00, 08:49 AM

'A Drama with Nightmares!!'
I picked up this film about 4 years ago on VHS, rental, looked semi-interesting. Needless to say I rented it about 6 more times. 'Do you find yourself thinking about it afterwards?' In my case Yes. I have seen some describe it as bland and/or slow paced. I can see their point, there are no Matrix flash tricks here for sure! I found that it is a purely atmosphere film, and for me, the pacing is deliberate, and adds to an unsettling feeling. I'm not even sure it is a horror film, hard to catagorize at times, sometimes it looks like a 'Docudramahorror' I found the use of no sound in some shots, very interesting & effective. If you give this film a chance, watch it with NO expectations, it WILL get under your skin. At least give it a rent, make sure it is the 1962 version. I am anxiously awaiting my CC Carnival of Souls, I just ordered 2 days ago.

------------------
Let's go do a crime. Let's get sushi..and not pay!
REPO MAN
Old 06-23-00, 11:48 AM

After reading all of these posts, I'm gonna have to check this movie out......
Old 06-23-00, 08:02 PM

I was/am planning on buying COS in the next few days. I'll get it free with gift certificates. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should rent it. Of course I can always get rid of it and make a profit on it though.

Now I just wish Criterion would put out Haxan a.k.a. Witchcraft Through The Ages, but I think that has no chance of being released on DVD.
Old 06-25-00, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I was one of the original reviewers and none of us said it was edge of your seat 'The Shining' scary...what I personally said was that Stephen King highly regards this film, and used its setting as a template for the original Shining idea(The amusement park).

Now..Brianluvdvd, I have a question for you...were you one of the people that went nuts over 'Sixth Sense'? If so..no room to talk..not scary, slow paced, obvious as hell, I figured it out in 5 minutes, and in 20 years, people will be having HDVD 2 discussions about how overrated 6th Sense is!

COS is a classic movie..HIGHLY regarded by the 'Film Community', and I am sorry if my positive review made anyone purchase a flick they don't dig. All I can say is it was taught at my film school, I have read so much about it, it sticks in your head, and is an amazing film. Is it 'horror'? Dunno. It never claimed to be...Was 'Sixth Sense' horror? Not really..

The movie is a classic, and well deserved of the Criterion Treatment and all the nods to check it out..and rest assured, when it goes OOP, prices will be good on Ebay for you.

It's all about taste, and I'm sorry you didn't dig the movie.

Maybe reviews should questioned so the person buying has a little more idea going in...

But I STILL wouldn't spoil the end..obvious to some, like Sixth Sense, but NOT to all(My wife freaked).

Good title to debate, though.
Old 06-25-00, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Weapon X:
Now..Brianluvdvd, I have a question for you...were you one of the people that went nuts over 'Sixth Sense'? If so..no room to talk..not scary, slow paced, obvious as hell, I figured it out in 5 minutes, and in 20 years, people will be having HDVD 2 discussions about how overrated 6th Sense is!
<HR>

i was not one of the ones that went "nuts" over the Sixth Sense, but yes i enjoyed Sense. never thought of Sense as "scary". i thought it held my attention well enough & did not feel it was "slow-paced." if you really thought that Sense was "obvious as hell," you are one of the few hundred out of millions that was not surprised. most people did not see it coming as you did.

this is really not a discussion for Sense but for Carnival of Souls. granted the two movies has some similarities in certain parts of plot & theme but let's get real here, Sixth Sense delivers much better than Carnival of Souls. no real comparison between the two as far as which is the better film in my opinion.

i was not upset that i bought & watched Carnival. in fact, being a Criterion, it was very easy to trade. i did not present a negative review just for the sake of being negative but to give a different perspective since so many people have been recommending this film.

i still would like Criterion to release a variety of industrial films like the ones presented on the Carnival disc. now that was entertainment. i never saw the accident with the tractor coming!!! (inside joke for those who have watched the extras on this disc)

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 06-27-00, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's pretty important to take the film in historical context. There were NOT alot of films like this at the time, and many blatantly stole from it later. Add this to that fact that it was made with almost NO budget, and no real professional actors other than the female lead, and it's pretty damn good IMO.

Keep in mind that I went to the film school at the University of Kansas (in the same building where some of this was shot), so I'm not completely impartial.

------------------
Electric2k

Visit Region Free for DVD reviews and retail information for Import DVDs!
Old 06-27-00, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Sixth Sense delivers much
better than Carnival of Souls. no real comparison between the two as far as which is the better film in my opinion."

Okay, key word is opinion, which is what a review is. Most of the people I know saw right through Sixth Sense, and I might add my own thought that M Night, boy wonder, might have seen COS in FS and stole the idea!

To me, if COS had a 'real' director, stars, and a more complex script..it WOULD be better than SS. However, the majesty of this film is that it had every strike against it and still comes out a classic.

Slow and plodding?
Yeah.
To some, but 'Moody and Atmospheric' is how those who like it describe it.
I find it flies by!

Buskerdog-"Visually and
thematically Carnival of Souls is the bridge between Cabinet of Dr.Caligari, Fellini, and Night of the Living Dead. "

Wonderful summary! That quote should be on the damn box!

I would say it is a great film, but certainly rent before you buy..I wish I did with SS, now I get annoyed looking at it, and it has 0 replay value.
ANd it IS fair to compare them, time period wise, and thematically.

Old 06-27-00, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These forums are good for my ego! Wait till Ghost Dog comes out. I got some great stuff to say about that!

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com
Old 06-27-00, 12:03 PM

Please no talk of "The Sixth Sense". Probably the most overrated film of the decade. "Stir of Echos" was so much better....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.